Spinoff: What was your best / worst job?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-02-2017, 09:41 AM
Spinoff: What was your best / worst job?
The What was your first job ever? thread got me thinking about my best and worst jobs.

My best job was the summer I spent working with an archaeologist, digging up and recording historical sites in Ontario, Canada. Most of the sites we worked on were ancient first-nations encampments, but we also got to work on an 1812 battlefield and dug up remains of soldiers killed in the conflict. The bones of the American soldiers were repatriated, with full honours, back across the border to military cemeteries in the US.

Probably the worst job I had was doing landscaping; lugging soaked rolls of sod and mowing lawns, while having massive hayfever attacks, was awful.

What was your best / worst job?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post
17-02-2017, 09:48 AM
RE: Spinoff: What was your best / worst job?
Best job: Now-yoga instructor

Worst: Working at Burger King as a teenager.
17-02-2017, 09:48 AM
Mid-level government bureaucrat. I highly recommend it. Yes

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
17-02-2017, 10:09 AM
Best: One especially fun job was playing in the orchestra of a small opera company. Five shows a week, two weeks of the same show, a week for rehearsals of the next one, and then two weeks of that show. You could get used to the show and enjoy it without getting bored. The theater was up on the fourteenth floor of a building in downtown Chicago, plenty of cozy bars nearby for after-show socializing, of which there was a lot.

Worst: health club sales. While I was getting certified as an aerobics instructor, I worked part-time at a health club where my major responsibilities were sales, demonstrating and cleaning the gym equipment, and teaching an exercise class a couple of times a week. I hated selling people expensive memberships that they couldn't afford and were probably not going to use much.
17-02-2017, 10:21 AM
I was security guard in mall open 24/7. To this day I dislike the feel of this job - it felt fascist to suspect everyone with backpack of being thief. Supposedly it was safe and easy job - I left it after 3 junkies tried to steal some shit and we were supposed to subdue them without training to do so. $2.5 isn't worth scuffles with thieves and troubles with police and courts.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
17-02-2017, 07:46 PM
Best job is the one I have right now, typing medical reports. I've now been working in the field for 10 years, and at my current posting for 7 years.

Worst job would have to be the last 2 years at my last IT job. I was overworked, serving 5 departments in 3 locations of the city, and never knew if there'd be a parking spot for me when I returned from offsite; the head of IT wouldn't okay a request for imaging tools that would have grossly simplified machine roll-outs and system restores; and then those *bleep* wanted to add a sixth department to my workload. I suffered a fairly major panic attack and breakdown necessitating medications and counselling, and was forced to choose between serving 4 departments full-time or 2 of them half-time. I took the half-time gig, and to add insult to injury ended up with both a drop in hours *and* a reduction in classification, even though I was doing the same kind of work.

Amazingly I held things together for a couple more years at reduced wages, but then more administrative Epic Stupidity fucked up the workflow and organization structure of the main department I was working in. I was coerced into becoming the backup person for a poorly-written database, learning some pretty fucking stupid procedures to drag reports out of the system. Then, one Wednesday morning, I woke up and realized I was just too sick to go into the office. I phoned in sick for a couple of days, then typed up a resignation letter and drove over to hand it in.

Oh, and did I mention that the building where I worked was contaminated with mould? Ohmy (I have a +4 allergy on skin testing.)

The stress and the toxins in the environment triggered a fibromyalgia flare with bone-numbing fatigue and body aches, and I had to take 6 months off to recover. I will never forgive them. In fact, at the supermarket I ran into the union rep who had thrown me under the bus by not putting up even a token fight against my job declassification. She recognized me and started to smile, and I mouthed the words "Thanks. For. Fucking. Nothing."

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-02-2017, 09:54 PM
Worst job was working fast-food. Stress stress stress, stupid entitled customers, smelt like grease, and cleaning the dishes, gloveless, in straight bleach and degreaser has messed my hands so that every winter they become cracked desert sandpaper that hates everything.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
17-02-2017, 10:17 PM
Worst job: Setting up mobile homes. Rain or shine, piece work. It was good money, but when it rained, it ran down the roof and onto your back. No gutters yet.
Best: Banner towing. I got to pick up and drop things from a plane, fly some very high performance maneuvers. It was an adrenaline rush at times.
17-02-2017, 10:54 PM
Best job:
Toss up. I loved the time I spent stationed in Japan as a 20 year old Navy cryptologist going back and forth between working on site and traveling around the world doing cool (and some not so cool) stuff. Deploying a decade later as an Army scout was also quite fulfilling despite having it's share of shitty times.

Worst job:
Factory representative for a small company in Colorado, responsible for handling email communication to factories in China, translating on conversations between the boss and those factories, etc. I figured out very quickly that a cubicle with a computer and a phone was absolutely not for me. I've got way too much ADHD going on for that crap.

'Murican Canadian
17-02-2017, 11:12 PM
Best: Academia.

Worst: Retail at a store known for blue light specials. 6 months during my Masters. Coworker had a knife pulled on him, was threatened by both customers and fellow employees with physical violence, and everyone always called off. Management cursing us all out was an almost daily occurrence, and the one time I swore, was threatened with termination. I was literally the only employee covering every part of the store except for the pharmacy on my last shift. I was hired for Electronics and spent most of my time in the Lay-Away, where constantly stuff was missing because people wouldn't be able to find it on the shelves and then stole it for the customer from the upstairs where it was layed away for someone else. They had $300,000 in shrink during the inventory when I was there.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user