Spiritual

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-11-2013, 11:14 AM
Spiritual
Do we have a body only or do we also have something separate ...a soul or spirit? The word "spiritual" to me implies things that have positive effects on that second part ...the spirit. Isn't that word, "spiritual" VERY problematic if we don't have this separate invisible part called a "spirit".

I tend to see some things like views of mountains and lakes as things which resonate with me. Think of a child on a swing. They can move their body on the swing in a way that resonates with the natural frequency of the swing. It seems reasonable to me that things outside of us such as views of nature may ...resonate...with us.

I don't see great views of nature as having effects on any mysterious second part of me ie a spirit.

IF views of nature resonate with or have effects on the physical human body, this should be testable in some manner such as with a PET scan. Attempting to attribute the positive effects of a panoramic view of nature as effecting a mysterious second thing called "spirit" moves this effect out of the reach of a testable hypothesis. Is that really where we wish to go? Should anyone make such a move without proof for things such as ....souls, and spirits.

(As an aside here..."the spirited horse" ...in my view would be better referred to as ...a playful or energetic horse, or by some other term referring to exactly what is seen as opposed to referring to spirit. ) I will grant the purist that on a molecular level, I don't yet know what causes a horse to appear ...energetic one morning and not the next. That's an interesting area of research for the intellectually curious.

As an alternative to the above...do we need a different definition of the word "spirit".

How sloppy are we as to choosing words based on Christianity when ...on further evaluation...other words would be more correct? How often do we all catch ourselves doing this as Christian language is so much a part of our culture (here in the United States)?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-11-2013, 12:06 PM
RE: Spiritual
The word spirit has many meanings. It can also mean something like "personality" or "intent".
I also doubt if it is a christian notion, because many other religions have "spirits", some of which
precede Christianity.
27-11-2013, 12:08 PM
(27-11-2013 12:06 PM)black_squirrel Wrote:  The word spirit has many meanings. It can also mean something like "personality" or "intent".
I also doubt if it is a christian notion, because many other religions have "spirits", some of which
precede Christianity.

Not to mention that spirits are booze.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
27-11-2013, 12:31 PM
(27-11-2013 11:14 AM)KatherineRogers Wrote:  Do we have a body only or do we also have something separate ...a soul or spirit? The word "spiritual" to me implies things that have positive effects on that second part ...the spirit. Isn't that word, "spiritual" VERY problematic if we don't have this separate invisible part called a "spirit".

I tend to see some things like views of mountains and lakes as things which resonate with me. Think of a child on a swing. They can move their body on the swing in a way that resonates with the natural frequency of the swing. It seems reasonable to me that things outside of us such as views of nature may ...resonate...with us.

I don't see great views of nature as having effects on any mysterious second part of me ie a spirit.

IF views of nature resonate with or have effects on the physical human body, this should be testable in some manner such as with a PET scan. Attempting to attribute the positive effects of a panoramic view of nature as effecting a mysterious second thing called "spirit" moves this effect out of the reach of a testable hypothesis. Is that really where we wish to go? Should anyone make such a move without proof for things such as ....souls, and spirits.

(As an aside here..."the spirited horse" ...in my view would be better referred to as ...a playful or energetic horse, or by some other term referring to exactly what is seen as opposed to referring to spirit. ) I will grant the purist that on a molecular level, I don't yet know what causes a horse to appear ...energetic one morning and not the next. That's an interesting area of research for the intellectually curious.

As an alternative to the above...do we need a different definition of the word "spirit".

How sloppy are we as to choosing words based on Christianity when ...on further evaluation...other words would be more correct? How often do we all catch ourselves doing this as Christian language is so much a part of our culture (here in the United States)?

Step 1: Establish a clear definition of "spirit" and "spiritual" that all can agree on.
Step 2: Profit.

.... hell if I know how to make either step work.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
27-11-2013, 01:28 PM
Spirit only makes sense as a metaphor. Your essence, your being, your spirit, your soul its all in your mind..eh brain.Tongue
Also it is how you react internally to the external world. soo..yeah. Now if they say your spirit leaves you that is actually your soul that floats off when you die or some shit they are missing the point. It isn't some kind ghostly incorporeal thing.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell