• 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-11-2017, 12:10 AM
RE: Spiritual But Not Religious PRRI Study
Good to know!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-11-2017, 01:57 AM
(07-11-2017 07:15 PM)mordant Wrote:  These categorizations can be very tricky.

For many ears I was unambiguously "neither spiritual nor religious". Provisionally I could now be categorized as "religious but not spiritual" in that I allow my current wife to suck me into occasionally visiting a liberal protestant church (Episcopalian) that she's getting involved in (mostly for social reasons). I am not sure however to what extent this is accurate, really. In terms of belief position we are both clearly atheist. The church is Christian more on a cultural technicality than anything else; at a church function recently the Bible, the Quran, and Hindu scriptures were all cited to incite people to volunteer for their food kitchen ministry. They subscribe, on paper, to the Nicean Creed, but anyone who is willing to claim to have been baptized in any way (immersion, sprinkling, pouring) in any Christian church can take communion with them, and I suspect that becoming an official member is little more than a pro-forma ceremonial recitation of the Creed.

By the lights of my evangelical origins, this isn't either spiritual OR religious. At all.

On the other hand, some would declare my wife "spiritual" and engaging in a "ministry" because she volunteers to feed the poor and is training to do advocacy among them. Others would say (accurately in my view) that this is nothing more than secular social work that happens to occur in a church [shrug].

"Spiritual" and "religious" are very squishy terms, to the point I'm not sure why anyone is trying to analyze it.

This would matter little if it was a marginal thing, say 3.25% of people self identifying as spiritual but not religious. But when that % reaches 18% and 31% self identifying as neither spiritual or religious, it becomes very interesting and important. Now it will be worth the time and effort of scholars who study these things to clarify what people are thinking when the identify as they do.

Something weird is going on here.

And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter
- Thomas Jefferson

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post
08-11-2017, 07:01 AM
Oh those fucking pussies.
Pick a side and stick with it!

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
08-11-2017, 04:21 PM
Poking around the internet a bit, I found another survey on the phenomenon of Spiritual But Not Religious.

https://www.barna.com/research/meet-spir...religious/

For those who are not familiar with Barna, they are rather religious, but have done some good honest surveys.

And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter
- Thomas Jefferson

Cheerful Charlie