'Spiritual abuse': Christian thinktank warns of sharp rise in UK exorcisms

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-07-2017, 03:55 AM
'Spiritual abuse': Christian thinktank warns of sharp rise in UK exorcisms
Report by Theos says vast majority of exorcisms within evangelical churches are carried out on people with mental health problems.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/j...um=twitter

The words "pot", "kettle" and "black" come to mind.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2017, 05:14 AM
RE: 'Spiritual abuse': Christian thinktank warns of sharp rise in UK exorcisms
(05-07-2017 03:55 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  Report by Theos says vast majority of exorcisms within evangelical churches are carried out on people with mental health problems.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/j...um=twitter

The words "pot", "kettle" and "black" come to mind.

Seriously?

These people really are barely out of the jungle. Scaring those who are already freaked out with an exorcism? I've heard they can get rather unsettling and a bit scary, even if it's all primitive voodoo mojo, it's a group of old, sweaty men and women touching your body and chanting in unison. That's creepy.

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
05-07-2017, 07:01 AM
I'll be checking out this talk in a couple of weeks.

The lady who booked my flights said to me, "please don't get yourself arrested."

Quote:By popular demand, our very in-house exorcist Father Michael would be conducting a talk on his experience with demonic possessions and ways to exorcise demons.

That would be followed by a panel discussion where other practitioners who deal with demonic possessions and exorcisms would have a chance to share about their experiences.

Details:
7.15 - 8.30 pm: Talk by Father Michael, an exorcist priest. Is possession real? What are the signs of possession? How is exorcism done?

05-07-2017, 08:40 AM (This post was last modified: 05-07-2017 08:47 AM by OmniConsUme.)
(05-07-2017 07:01 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I'll be checking out this talk in a couple of weeks.
Why, they probably just lie their asses off.
05-07-2017, 09:16 AM
(05-07-2017 07:01 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I'll be checking out this talk in a couple of weeks.

Quote:Panel discussion with Father Michael, Hong Lin, Darius and Abelene where you can raise your Q&A to this group of practitioners who have had experiences dealing with demonic possessions. Father Michael is Catholic, Hong Lin is Tibetian while Darius and Abelene does it in a more secular manner.

Secular exorcism? Really!?!?!?!

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
05-07-2017, 09:38 AM
(05-07-2017 09:16 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  ...

I know, right?

The speaker on that is into The Law of Attraction and whatnot so it's likely to be some new age spiritual shit like having a poorly aura.

I'll find out and report back.

Thumbsup

05-07-2017, 09:39 AM
(05-07-2017 09:38 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(05-07-2017 09:16 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  ...

I know, right?

The speaker on that is into The Law of Attraction and whatnot so it's likely to be some new age spiritual shit like having a poorly aura.

Thumbsup

I have a serious Question what is the purpose of your trip?
05-07-2017, 09:41 AM

The lady who booked my flights said to me, "please don't get yourself arrested."

Quote:By popular demand, our very in-house exorcist Father Michael would be conducting a talk on his experience with demonic possessions and ways to exorcise demons.

That would be followed by a panel discussion where other practitioners who deal with demonic possessions and exorcisms would have a chance to share about their experiences.

Details:
7.15 - 8.30 pm: Talk by Father Michael, an exorcist priest. Is possession real? What are the signs of possession? How is exorcism done?

"please don't get yourself arrested." - This is the phrase you hear most often I'd wager. Drinking Beverage

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
05-07-2017, 09:55 AM
To which he invariably responds:
"Don't worry, Moneypenny, I'd never dream of it ..."

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 1 user Likes Reducetarian's post
05-07-2017, 09:56 AM (This post was last modified: 05-07-2017 10:00 AM by DLJ.)
(05-07-2017 09:39 AM)OmniConsUme Wrote:  
(05-07-2017 09:38 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I know, right?

Thumbsup

I have a serious Question what is the purpose of your trip?

I've got a gig in SG from Mon-Wed so I'm going early so I can attend this event (and spend the weekend catching up with acquaintances there).

Truth is, the theists on TTA are weak sauce. I need a challenge... not a chew toy but a whetstone.

What better than a catholic priest and a lion's den of supernaturalists?

I'll hear them out though... I may learn something new (doubt it but who knows?) and then we'll see what happens during the Q&A.

Drooling

(05-07-2017 09:41 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  ...
"please don't get yourself arrested." - This is the phrase you hear most often I'd wager. Drinking Beverage

You'd win that bet. Or for the Pakistan trip it was "please don't get yourself killed."

As if!?!?! It's not I was going to Tennessee or somewhere dangerous!

Big Grin

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post