'Spiritual abuse': Christian thinktank warns of sharp rise in UK exorcisms

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-07-2017, 10:00 AM
RE: 'Spiritual abuse': Christian thinktank warns of sharp rise in UK exorcisms
(05-07-2017 09:56 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(05-07-2017 09:39 AM)OmniConsUme Wrote:  I have a serious Question what is the purpose of your trip?

I've got a gig in SG from Mon-Wed so I'm going early so I can attend this event (and spend the weekend catching up with acquaintances there).

Truth is, the theists on TTA are weak sauce. I need a challenge... not a chew toy but a whetstone.

What better than a catholic priest and a lion's den of supernaturalists?

I'll hear them out though... I may learn something new (doubt it but who knows?) and then we'll see what happens during the Q&A.

Drooling

So it's a debate.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2017, 10:02 AM
(05-07-2017 10:00 AM)OmniConsUme Wrote:  ...
So it's a debate.

Nope. A presentation on Possession and Exorcism (see earlier link).

Yes

And thanks to Silly Deity's OP, I have a good article to use as reference.

Thanks SD.

Thumbsup

05-07-2017, 01:59 PM
(05-07-2017 03:55 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  Report by Theos says vast majority of exorcisms within evangelical churches are carried out on people with mental health problems.

By people with mental health problems.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 2 users Like Dr H's post
06-07-2017, 12:40 AM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2017 12:47 AM by Oaken.)
I remember when I was a devout believer and teenager that there was a man we called Brother Bob. Well, Brother Bob was known to call the radio to speak about God and probably attended church every single day of the week. He was very developmentally disabled but he was friendly, polite and very well known in the community.

One night at church I heard a commotion to my right and looked and saw Brother Bob in terror on his back on the church pew and this short, fat religious man was over him and yelling for some demon to come out. Brother Bob was white with fear and the man would not stop yelling at him and waving his Bible over Brother Bob. All of my teenage friends were in shock. We knew and loved Brother Bob and no one knew this guy who was attacking him. I wish I could say that I dropkicked the guy out the door but I didn't. I did give the (extremely primitive looking man) a shocked and angry look. He pronounced that the demon was out of Brother Bob and then walked away. Girls in my youth group were sad and shocked. I was sad and shocked. NO FREAKING ADULT THERE DID A DAMNED THING. And I remember DISTINCTLY bringing it to the attention of the pastor of the church that night (who I was friends with) and he said that he watched the whole thing from the pulpit but didn't want to get involved.

A DIFFERENT STORY

A few years ago, while my father was dying in a hospital, a person on the prayer team at my family's Assembly of God church came and visited my father's bedside. No sooner does this guy walk in then he starts bragging that he has the anointing in his hands and that he has healed thousands. He then told my mother to touch his hands so she could FEEL the anointing is his hands. He was speaking in a proud peacock fashion because he KNEW I was in the room and wanted to make a scene. He then lays his hands on my father's head and then proclaims that my dying father has a spirit in him that is making him sick. He said that sickness is a spirit. He then said that he was casting that spirit out of my father because the Bible says "Ye shall lay hands on the sick and they shall recover." He then presses his hand on my fathers head and begins making my fathers head bounce up and shake. (I was devastated but terrified at making a scene) He then finished by assuring my mother that God was HEALING my father. My father's vitals got worse right after that. My father died hours later.

That event and the abuse I suffered at the hands of Christian family members who took the opportunity of my father's death as a chance to abuse and ostracize me during the planning of the funeral almost caused me a nervous breakdown and DID give me PTSD. I had to go through counseling to learn to stick up for myself. I have learned not to be silent when in the presence of religious abusers. But such knowledge flies in the face of everything I was taught as a Christian.

I feel very bad for anyone who will be taken advantage of by religious charlatans, but especially for the developmentally disabled and vulnerable.

Here is the thing about potential...You either use your gift or your gift uses you. You are either a rocket or a bomb.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Oaken's post
06-07-2017, 04:59 AM
My father--who is an evangelical and not completely sane, though he's highly functional--once sent me a nine-page letter detailing how he'd exorcised multiple demons from a woman with whom he'd gone on a date. As he was dropping her off, she asked him to come in, somehow the conversation led to the fact that she had demons inside her, and therefore (of course) my father tied her to a chair and "exorcised" demon after demon, all night long.

My take is that she'd wanted him to stay the night and so did he, but as fellow evangelicals they were both fucked in the head about sex. (This was during my father's divorced and dating days, when he was frantically dating but "chastely," because my mother had left him for another man.) So I believe that the demons idea just kind of popped out of her mouth, may even have been suggested by my father...next thing she knew, she was tied to a chair, terrified, and needed to get out of it somehow, so she said what she had to to get out of it. The demons had disappointingly generic names like "lust" and "anger."

That was their first and only date.
07-07-2017, 12:18 AM
(06-07-2017 04:59 AM)julep Wrote:  The demons had disappointingly generic names like "lust" and "anger."

Somebody should do an evil Care Bears doll version with little horned devil dolls with names on them like lust, anger, envy.

Here is the thing about potential...You either use your gift or your gift uses you. You are either a rocket or a bomb.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user