Spiritual but not religious friends...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-11-2016, 09:54 PM
Spiritual but not religious friends...
Hello again... This week I had a few conversations with a friend who is spiritual but not religious... And he is younger than me by about ten years and he is married and has kids and was in the military... He is going to a Christian college right now and even has been studying apologetics... But he doesn't believe in the inerrancy or in the inspiration of the Bible anymore now... He is spiritual but not religious... And he's trying to tell me that atheists are angry and that he still believes in God as a creator... What should I say? I need your help and advice please... How do you deal with people who say they are spiritual but not religious? Thank you...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-11-2016, 10:19 PM
RE: Spiritual but not religious friends...
I'm spiritual but not religious -- nor a believer, for that matter. Why his irreligion should say anything about atheists is a non sequitur.

I'd tell him that like squeaky wheels getting the mechanic's attention, he is paying attention only to the loudest atheists ... and then generalizing their behavior to all of us.
20-11-2016, 10:40 PM
I would ask him if he doesn't believe in the inspiration of the Bible anymore, how can he be so sure his God is the creator? Why not Zeus?
21-11-2016, 01:53 AM
What should it matter what he believes so long as it harms no one?
[+] 1 user Likes Celestial_Wonder's post
21-11-2016, 04:18 AM
So he's a cherry picker then. Pretty common stuff where i live.
21-11-2016, 03:48 PM
Ask him how many atheists he can name.

If I generalized Ken Ham and Ray Comfort to cover all of Christendom it'd be a pretty ridiculous extrapolation.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.