Spirituality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2015, 03:50 PM (This post was last modified: 16-04-2015 04:03 PM by Nurse.)
Spirituality
I had my first visit with the psychiatrist today. We were talking abut my marriage and parts of why it failed - so of course I mentioned that I lost my faith last year and that was a major contributor.

Call me Sherlock Holmes, but I have him pegged as a Muslim. Deduction, yo.

Anyway, one of his comments was that we are "spiritual creatures." He said - "true, we cannot prove the existence of god, but we are spiritual creatures." That we crave some sort of spirituality in our lives, and that life is otherwise meaningless. (I personally think my life has the meaning I give it, while in the grand scheme of things I may be meaningless, but so long as I'm alive and breathing I have worth and meaning)

This is certainly something I've struggled with, this loss of...I dunno...connection (argh, that's not the right word either.) Maybe inner peace and contentment is what I'm seeking.

So what do you replace the gap of religion with? Obviously this isn't an issue for someone that wasn't really brought up in the faith, but this was a central part of my life for many years.

I'd kinda like to go visit the Smokies and just...chill.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
16-04-2015, 04:02 PM (This post was last modified: 16-04-2015 04:08 PM by Alex K.)
RE: Spirituality
Some aspects of science, and music, give me that "transcendental" feeling.
One night a coupl'a weeks ago, I was walking across the meadow alone, it was dark apart from an almost full moon - in front of me, Venus was setting, above me the moon and Jupiter. Orion between them, and it was windy, clouds were rushing overhead. Above the horizon north and south I could see lightning. I had some late renaissance music on. It was the closest thing I could get to a spiritual experience without believing in nonsense.

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
[+] 3 users Like Alex K's post
16-04-2015, 04:42 PM (This post was last modified: 16-04-2015 11:53 PM by Cosmic Discourse.)
I wasn't brought up in a church, but in my young adult life I did become curious about religion. I attended quite a few services of differing denominations, and eventually joined the LDS (Mormon) church.

To make a long story short, after excommunicating myself I studied a few different world religions (Hinduism, Islam, Buddhism), eventually landing in the comfy confines of elated atheism.

I find that studying things I'm not well versed in, like neurology, biology, cosmology, etc, tends to keep my sense of wonder active. Nature walks, hiking, or cycling, can be a great way not only to clear your head, but to take in the beauty of our environment. You may fancy sports over these options, or maybe something more along the lines of the arts (music, cinema, painting, etc). Just kinda throwing some ideas out there.

Take solace in knowing, that you're not alone in the struggle. We all have peaks and valleys (emotionally), and we all seek to stimulate our excitement in a variety of ways.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Cosmic Discourse's post
16-04-2015, 04:49 PM
Time to find a new psychiatrist Dodgy having someone help you deal with your mental health who thinks that life is meaningless without "spirituality" when you disagree sounds like a recipe for disaster. Unless he's willing to let you define it however you want. For example if you tell him your version of spirituality is taking a moment out of your day to reflect on your life, and he can be ok with that, fine. If he demands that it be something supernatural or woo-ish No
[+] 12 users Like Smercury44's post
16-04-2015, 05:53 PM
(16-04-2015 04:49 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Time to find a new psychiatrist Dodgy having someone help you deal with your mental health who thinks that life is meaningless without "spirituality" when you disagree sounds like a recipe for disaster. Unless he's willing to let you define it however you want. For example if you tell him your version of spirituality is taking a moment out of your day to reflect on your life, and he can be ok with that, fine. If he demands that it be something supernatural or woo-ish No

I've had to wait since December for this appointment. I won't be doing my counseling with him - I have an appointment with a psychologist two weeks from now. I'll just be getting meds from him - just took my first dose of Wellbutrin. Joy. If this doesn't work, maybe he'll write for Prozac and Adderall.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
16-04-2015, 06:01 PM
Good luck with the trial and error that seems to be part of finding the right meds. Wellbutrin never worked for me...not even to help quit smoking. But I know a lot of people say it works well for them.

Lexapro is what works for me but it took a long time to get to it and lots of failed attempts with other things.

You know the medicine of it...but remember that all these things take a while to work (or not). As much as an instant happy pill is wanted, it doesn't seem to be out there.

As for the 'spiritual'. Find something outside of work you enjoy doing and do that. Set aside time to do that thing that makes you happy. No, not that thing...but a hobby or other pastime.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
16-04-2015, 07:08 PM
(16-04-2015 03:50 PM)Nurse Wrote:  So what do you replace the gap of religion with? Obviously this isn't an issue for someone that wasn't really brought up in the faith, but this was a central part of my life for many years.

For me, that really is it -- being closely connected with nature, in both grand and minute scales. My sense of spirituality, and that is what I call it, is that the interconnectedness of reality, the webs of existence -- food chains, chemical reactions, idle philosophizing -- it hits me at once in my head and stuns my brain with a sense of deep belonging. I not only belong to the Universe, but in the words of the physicist Freeman Dyson, "We are the Universe, pondering itself."

There's no magic pixie dust or any wooist horseshit involved, simply an understanding of my incredibly tiny place in an incredibly huge Universe. That realization is at once awing, alarming, and reassuring.

I'm lucky enough to work in the field where I can pay mind to that side of me as well. When I'm hiking a trail, I feel together with the world. I'm cool with that.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
16-04-2015, 07:20 PM
To be honest, I've always had a liking for things that give me that spiritual feeling: epic movies, epic music. I love the epic factor in things. I mean epic in the classical sense of course.

I have felt it when I was a believer but I still have it now that I'm an atheist. So maybe it wasn't caused by my faith.

The point I'm trying to make is that you can feel an awe-inspiring connection with the universe through many things. Enya is one example and she does it for me, but she's not the only one. China Roses and The memory of trees being two of those tracks that make me ask myself existential questions, and give me the same feelings I have when I look at stuff on the universe and realize the vastness of space and me being minuscule in comparison.

I hope that didn't sound banal, but that's my spirituality.

It was harder to explain than I thought and I'm not sure if I succeeded. But I hope it helps.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Polyglot Atheist's post
16-04-2015, 07:29 PM
(16-04-2015 03:50 PM)Nurse Wrote:  I had my first visit with the psychiatrist today. We were talking abut my marriage and parts of why it failed - so of course I mentioned that I lost my faith last year and that was a major contributor.

Call me Sherlock Holmes, but I have him pegged as a Muslim. Deduction, yo.

Anyway, one of his comments was that we are "spiritual creatures." He said - "true, we cannot prove the existence of god, but we are spiritual creatures." That we crave some sort of spirituality in our lives, and that life is otherwise meaningless. (I personally think my life has the meaning I give it, while in the grand scheme of things I may be meaningless, but so long as I'm alive and breathing I have worth and meaning)

This is certainly something I've struggled with, this loss of...I dunno...connection (argh, that's not the right word either.) Maybe inner peace and contentment is what I'm seeking.

So what do you replace the gap of religion with? Obviously this isn't an issue for someone that wasn't really brought up in the faith, but this was a central part of my life for many years.

It took me a while, first to even get that I "lost something", then what exactly that "something" was. Turns out it wasn't really what I thought it was. I do get that "connection" thing. With religion, it was also a certainty that I was involved in something much larger than myself, that was without question, important, (in a certain culture). There are a lot of details I won't bore you with. But I have come to get that I've actually lost nothing. Maybe that "connection" thing is why you (and I) are drawn to the medical world. It's "unquestionably important" to us, and to everyone else as well. So you are "connected" to that. Besides that, you probably are connected to other things in other ways, and some you might think about "renewing". Like calling an old friend you miss. One will lead to another, and you better watch what you wish for, as you can soon be way too connected. Rolleyes

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
16-04-2015, 08:21 PM
Quote:Call me Sherlock Holmes, but I have him pegged as a Muslim. Deduction, yo.

I hope that's because he was wearing a towel on his head and not a suicide vest?

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post