"Spirituality" a problematic word "OP/ED"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-11-2015, 07:56 AM
"Spirituality" a problematic word "OP/ED"
While it is a great trend that younger generations in the west are not buying into the club mentality and gang think of organized religion, there is an attempt to defend woo by saying "I am not religious, I am spiritual". No sorry, as well intended as that may be, the word "spiritual" is problematic as well. It still suffers the problem of meaning different things to different people.

Let me explain what is really going on. It is a natural reaction when humans see something and react positively and intensely to nature. I have those same intense feelings when I think about my mother, about my pets, about a sunset, ect ect ect........ There is no need to attach the word "spirituality" to our reactions which are merely our "sense of awe" to such an antiquated word.

Nature is fucking awesome to think about, from our relationships, to our pets, to all the good things in it that make life worth living. Don't use such a cheap gap filling word like "spirituality". It really simply is a watered down version to protect woo. Yes by law certainly you can use the word, and make claims that it is a real thing, but I can also say "bullshit" it is simply woo also.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-11-2015, 08:05 AM
RE: "Spirituality" a problematic word "OP/ED"
Its the same mindset of those twats who say "I'm not religious, I'm in as close personal relationship with gawd...." Its simply egotistical bragging. Sorry folks - you're not a special fucking snowflake.......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
22-11-2015, 08:19 AM
When people take their own interpretation of their own personal experience to be indisputable facts, they are already beyond any rationality.

[Image: 004.sig]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Aoi Magi's post
22-11-2015, 08:41 AM
I cant stop humans from gap filling, and it would make me a monster to suggest forcing the end of all gap filling superstitions. But just because I say "religion" or even the watered down word "spirituality" are still gap answers, does not mean I want to stab you to death. I do want to pull my hair out, but that is the same as if I had a friend who went around saying "the Yankees won the Superbowl".

I love my mom, she is Catholic, I am a former Catholic, but she also knows I don't buy the bullshit of a magic cracker saving a "soul". I have the same attitude towards even watered down woo.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user