Spoiler about Mars secret?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-11-2012, 03:32 AM
Well, it turns out that Lake Vostok 2 miles underneath Antarctica's ice cap, in the freezing cold and closed off of free air for millions of years hosts diverse populations of microbes . If they can do that, they can survive under similar Martian circumstances.

That must be the 'discovery of historic importance' that NASA is promising us for Christmas: there IS living life on Mars today! And they now have scientific, incontrovertible proof!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-11-2012, 08:42 PM
RE: Spoiler about Mars secret?
I've read that Curiosity can only break things down to its chemical components without knowing the whole object. For instance, it could happen upon a fossil and perform tests with its laser drill, but it won't ever know it's a fossil. I guess it would be up to the guys at NASA to decide whether the chemical signatures they receive back on earth are indicative of life. We won't know for sure what the find is until next week. If it is life, hopefully it looks like hot earth chicks. This reminds me of something that the character Jay from Clerks II said: "Yeah. Like, be the first motherfucker to see a new galaxy, or find a new alien lifeform... and fuck it. And people'd be like, 'There he goes. Homeboy fucked a Martian once.'"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-11-2012, 08:52 PM
Props for the Jay quote. Thumbsup

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
27-11-2012, 08:58 PM
double props!!!!

1. Striding and swaggering rootlessness without end. The precious flow of life.
2. one should fear sweet a blood stained flower.
27-11-2012, 08:59 PM
There are some saying it's just stuff that was already known.
I'm betting on methane, or organic chemicals. It would be fun to have life, but I doubt.
http://www.space.com/18599-what-did-curi...video.html

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
27-11-2012, 09:13 PM (This post was last modified: 27-11-2012 09:17 PM by germanyt.)
If it's not fossilized organisms I'm going to be very livid at NASA. Organic compounds aren't 'rewrite history books' worthy.

Awww hell, the SAM instrument is what made the discovery. All it does is analyze what samples are composed of. Probably a fucking amino acid or some stupid shit.
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=NASA...ws+On+Mars

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
29-11-2012, 12:18 AM
http://www.theatlanticwire.com/global/20...all/59372/

Seems like the whole affair was a misunderstanding (according to NASA) which NASA let go on a week before they cleared it up.

Yeah...right...misunderstanding.
29-11-2012, 09:37 AM
(27-11-2012 09:13 PM)germanyt Wrote:  If it's not fossilized organisms I'm going to be very livid at NASA. Organic compounds aren't 'rewrite history books' worthy.

Awww hell, the SAM instrument is what made the discovery. All it does is analyze what samples are composed of. Probably a fucking amino acid or some stupid shit.
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=NASA...ws+On+Mars
Of course it's history book worthy. Confirmation of organic materials and compounds on other planets, especially only a few hops over is confirmation of ideas we've had about it and means life could be possible on such places.

Don't be disappointed if a discovery isn't what you want it to be. Discoveries of any kind are helpful to science. Be happy you live in a time where we can hot drop a 1 ton rover on a planet in one of the most complex and amazing landings to be found ever. Where that one ton rover is a science lab that can MOVE. If you lived even 100 years ago, you wouldn't even be thinking about this kind of stuff.

The fact that we're even on another planet searching for stuff shows how spoiled we are in our expectations. "BUT MOOOOM! I WANT ALIEN LIFE! Why can't I have iiiiiiit!" LOL!

No offense intended. Just saying, we should really be excited about anything it finds.
[+] 2 users Like Logisch's post
29-11-2012, 09:51 AM
That's actually Lake Vida, not Lake Vostok. Still a pretty significant discovery, though.
29-11-2012, 01:30 PM
(27-11-2012 08:42 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I've read that Curiosity can only break things down to its chemical components without knowing the whole object. For instance, it could happen upon a fossil and perform tests with its laser drill, but it won't ever know it's a fossil. I guess it would be up to the guys at NASA to decide whether the chemical signatures they receive back on earth are indicative of life. We won't know for sure what the find is until next week. If it is life, hopefully it looks like hot earth chicks. This reminds me of something that the character Jay from Clerks II said: "Yeah. Like, be the first motherfucker to see a new galaxy, or find a new alien lifeform... and fuck it. And people'd be like, 'There he goes. Homeboy fucked a Martian once.'"
Hmm, if it turned out to be hot Martian babes, I certainly hope their first impression of humans isn't being shot with a laser by an unmanned rover who can't tell a hot Martian babe from another rover.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post