29-10-2014, 08:59 AM
Spontaneous wave function collapse can suppress acoustic Schrodinger cat states
I don't really comprehend any of this BUT since it mentions dead cats...Wink

http://phys.org/news/2014-10-spontaneous...ustic.html

For you guys out there:

a) Explain in kindergartner's terms wtf this means

b) Why is it good or bad that the cat is dead and alive

Discuss Big Grin

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-10-2014, 09:57 AM
RE: Spontaneous wave function collapse can suppress acoustic Schrodinger cat states
My read is that it is a theory which demonstrates that wave collapse can occur without an observer. Which should please Chas. But cjlr is better fit to comment.

#sigh
29-10-2014, 10:04 AM
RE: Spontaneous wave function collapse can suppress acoustic Schrodinger cat states
(29-10-2014 09:57 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  My read is that it is a theory which demonstrates that wave collapse can occur without an observer. Which should please Chas. But cjlr is better fit to comment.

Well, of course it can. Dem waves bin clapsin' ferevr witout us.

But the real point is that 'wave collapse' is not a physical event , it is merely the observation of the state which might have been any of the ones described by that function.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-10-2014, 10:15 AM
Duh.

"The greater the catness, the shorter the cat state's decay time".
It means large cats barbeque faster.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
29-10-2014, 01:23 PM
The collapse never really had anything to do with its position being observed by a person... Instead, the collapse merely reveals that persons position in the multiverse.

(ಠ_ಠ) "So this is the universe where the cat is dead..."

... I might be high.
29-10-2014, 02:10 PM
Do note that it's not peer-reviewed yet. Also, counterpoint.

Anyway, the gist of the argument is that gravitational (relativistic) self-interaction leads to decoherence. This work is an extension from microscopic to macroscopic systems.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
03-11-2014, 06:57 PM
(29-10-2014 02:10 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Do note that it's not peer-reviewed yet. Also, counterpoint.

Anyway, the gist of the argument is that gravitational (relativistic) self-interaction leads to decoherence. This work is an extension from microscopic to macroscopic systems.

My head just exploded Einstein

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
03-11-2014, 07:15 PM
(29-10-2014 08:59 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  ...
b) Why is it good or bad that the cat is dead and alive

Discuss Big Grin

You are referring to Quantum Morality.

We need Luminon for this.

or Deepak Chopra

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
04-11-2014, 07:32 AM
(29-10-2014 02:10 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Do note that it's not peer-reviewed yet. Also, counterpoint.

Well, duh...
Drooling

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP