17-01-2014, 08:56 AM
Sports Scholarships

Read more here http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/09/us/ncaa-at...-response/
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-01-2014, 09:41 AM
RE: Sports Scholarships
My thoughts:

1. NC- I've lived here for almost 20 yrs. I'm not surprised one bit.
2. I think this problem exists at MANY other places, more than what was stated in the video- but that's just an opinion.
3. If your grades wouldn't normally get you accepted into that school-then you shouldn't be there.
4. And you most certainly shouldn't be leaving with a degree if you didn't do every paper, test, etc that the other students were required to do and earn the grades.

money, money, money can take you to a top school and get you a degree if you know how to handle a ball.

“Happiness is not the absence of problems; it's the ability to deal with them.”
Find all posts by this user
17-01-2014, 11:23 AM
College sports generate a huge income stream for colleges. A championship team will bring in tons of money from alumni.

It may not be right, and I don't agree that someone should be able to earn a degree for being gifted athletically, but money talks.

Even in high school good athletes often get a pass when it comes to their classwork.

'See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way.' -JF
17-01-2014, 11:52 AM
I was just listening to a podcast this morning while cooking breakfast concerning this very issue. I'm a bit torn on it.

A study found that a significant number of athletes read at or below a third grade level. That's sad and atrocious in my opinion, but I think it says more about our country's emphasis on education than it does about the individuals who are undereducated.

College is no longer for the elite. It is merely a step up for the average citizen. I agree that it should be for education, but I also agree that there are a lot of grey areas.

It has been argued that it's unfair for a student athlete to get a pass without doing the work while other students in the class dedicate themselves to studying and applying themselves to the class. This is absolutely true, however the student athlete is working just as hard and applying themselves just as much towards the skills that they have and what is expected of them.

Giving these athletes degrees is dishonest, I agree. We should be able to call a spade a spade. But given the situation I still think it's better that many of these individuals are given a leg up in life where they normally would be left in the dregs of society from which they were born. These athletes are at least applying themselves and giving everything they can to better their lives. It's not their fault that the system is broken, but if they can run their neck and succeed, then I think they deserve it.

Another point is that these sports programs bring in millions of dollars for universities, a lot of which trickle into programs and facilities that do benefit the college experience of traditional students and that is taken for granted.

And let's not forget the entertainment value that the sports programs bring to the public. It may be a travesty that people are getting degrees and aren't educated, but you can't say that they are worthless and haven't put forth an enormous effort in order to excel and achieve.

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street