Spot fat reduction.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-02-2013, 01:57 PM
Spot fat reduction.
Many claim it is virtually impossible to reduce body fat from a specific area such as the obliques and abs area.
There have been many gimmicky types of apparatus brought out, none of which work.
In my view, the general consensus,that the body takes fat from "wherever", is pretty true, so its a total makeover.
Any views in this area? Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2013, 03:31 AM
RE: Spot fat reduction.
It's possible to remove fat from a specific area using liposuction. =0P

Otherwise, I think the idea arises from people working the muscles in an area and maybe getting more muscle tone (and maybe losing weight everywhere), then thinking they've lost fat there.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
08-02-2013, 03:43 AM
Did you even ask your dog Spot if he WANTED to lose fat ? Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

08-02-2013, 03:47 AM
(07-02-2013 01:57 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Many claim it is virtually impossible to reduce body fat from a specific area such as the obliques and abs area.
There have been many gimmicky types of apparatus brought out, none of which work.
In my view, the general consensus,that the body takes fat from "wherever", is pretty true, so its a total makeover.
Any views in this area? Smile
I think that when you lose fat it is an overall process. I dont think you lose more from a specific area than you would others.

Most of the before and after pictures proclaiming success of fitness are normally people with a lot of bodyfat, who then lose it whilst toning up the muscles. They look ripped however they were already ripped to begin with.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
12-02-2013, 03:36 PM
Among those who actually study fitness as a science, spot reduction isn't even really seen as debatable. It's a myth. How it keeps making its way into magazines and cheesy articles I can't say for sure, but I assume it has to do with the fact that the average reader is looking for a quick fix.

Whether you're doing pushups, situps, side bends, or dead lifts, your body is going to fuel it either with glucose already in your blood or, if you've already burned through that, from fat stored in a location of its choosing.

Furthermore, unless you're training 8 hours per day as an Olympic athlete or something, exercise in general has very little effect on your body fat. You just can't out-exercise a bad diet. Fitness happens in the gym, but weight is lost predominantly in the kitchen, and it is lost in an order predetermined by your genetics, not which muscles you hit.

Sometimes I wrestle with my demons. Sometimes we just snuggle.
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
12-02-2013, 03:40 PM
(08-02-2013 03:31 AM)amyb Wrote:  It's possible to remove fat from a specific area using liposuction. =0P

Otherwise, I think the idea arises from people working the muscles in an area and maybe getting more muscle tone (and maybe losing weight everywhere), then thinking they've lost fat there.
Ouch!
12-02-2013, 03:44 PM
(12-02-2013 03:36 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Among those who actually study fitness as a science, spot reduction isn't even really seen as debatable. It's a myth. How it keeps making its way into magazines and cheesy articles I can't say for sure, but I assume it has to do with the fact that the average reader is looking for a quick fix.

Whether you're doing pushups, situps, side bends, or dead lifts, your body is going to fuel it either with glucose already in your blood or, if you've already burned through that, from fat stored in a location of its choosing.

Furthermore, unless you're training 8 hours per day as an Olympic athlete or something, exercise in general has very little effect on your body fat. You just can't out-exercise a bad diet. Fitness happens in the gym, but weight is lost predominantly in the kitchen, and it is lost in an order predetermined by your genetics, not which muscles you hit.
Hi Y.
Good points;yes I agree eating is the major factor.
I am resolved that its a bit round the obliques, or skeletal arms and a six pack.