Spring hill

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-06-2017, 05:24 PM
Spring hill
It's been a while since I have posted anything, I'm just going through some issues at the moment.

Anyway, my wife has my middle son in this church camp ather church. It's run by an organization called Spring hill. (If interested: https://www.springhillcamps.com)

This camp sounds like a blast. They have water stuff, bounce houses, shooting paintball markers, zip lines, and other stuff. It sounds like a good time. But then they inject the toxic substance of jesus into it. They send home a sheet each day of what they "teach" and it is positively nauseating. Yesterday it was how they (the children) are sinful, never good enough, and are alone without some used jesus. Today, I shit you not was "jesus died for me so I can spend eternity with him."

The website of Springhill states in their statement of faith that
Quote:God's gospel requires a response that has eternal consequences.

10. We believe that God commands everyone everywhere to believe the gospel by turning to Him in repentance and receiving the Lord Jesus Christ. We believe that God will raise the dead bodily and judge the world, assigning the unbeliever to condemnation and eternal conscious punishment and the believer to eternal blessedness and joy with the Lord in the new heaven and the new earth, to the praise of His glorious grace.

My wife's church has a similar statement but way watered down. Their entire statement of faith is horrible and disgusting. This is where the issues come in I want to throw out there. I really am disturbed by this and I really want to talk to her about this but every time we talk about it, I feel she slips further away from me. I asked my son about it and what they talked about and he shrugged and said he wasn't paying attention (way to go buddy) but this crap really bothers me. I hate this so much.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-06-2017, 05:52 PM
RE: Spring hill
Sad That would bother me, too. I am really not a fan of brainwashing camps. Why can't it just be about having fun and being a kid?

Is he there all summer?

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like ShadowProject's post
28-06-2017, 06:05 PM
You managed to logic your way out of that mess. As long as you are a positive force, your son will grow up OK, I hope. You're going to have to be his rock so that he isn't traumatized by the brainwashing. Watch out if he is taken aside for some "extra counseling". I have no experience with buy-bull camp, it's just something that occurred to me. Hopefully this is of short duration, like a week. I think your son will be OK. One of my sons told me not too long ago that he had figured out that a lot of adults really aren't all that smart, which he figured out at the age of 7. I don't like what is being said to your son; we never were in a position where we forced belief like that, with all that fucking guilt.

Edited to add- maybe have him pay attention to the BS and have him explain why they are wrong, and how he feels when they tell him he is going to hell if he doesn't believe.
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
28-06-2017, 06:14 PM
That's how religion works. It's not about being a kid, it's all about grooming them with fun activities so they don't notice the brainwashing because it's so subtle. They are conditioning them under the guise of having fun. They did this at my church as well with various fun activities. Meanwhile, an hour long church service was required after.

I would have a serious problem with this "camp" as well, so you have every right to be upset. I think the only thing you can do, other than ripping your son out of that church camp, is to continue to have an open dialogue with him about what it is he actually believes. Continue to teach him about science and philosophy. Continue to teach him it's okay to question. Teach him about other cultures and their belief systems. Ask him why he doesn't believe in their gods. Probably because he will say they sound Hobo but it might be enough to plant a seed about his own beliefs.

One little substantial tear in the religious framework is all you really need to help get his mind engaged in *thinking* while they try to pollute his brain with religious crap. One thing your son has that I didn't, is a father who is an atheist. That is a huge asset in his corner *even if* your wife still insists on teaching him this stuff.

I am so sorry you are going through this. Fucking Jesus. Angry
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
28-06-2017, 06:31 PM
Thanks.

Shadow, he's not there all summer, just a week. And it's not an overnight one. I would really push back on that.

I don't think he really buys it, my 10 yo already thinks its crap.

My real fear is that this eventually will tear my wife from me as they get older and if all 3 reject it. She will blame me. She already blames me.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
28-06-2017, 06:42 PM
(28-06-2017 06:31 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Thanks.

Shadow, he's not there all summer, just a week. And it's not an overnight one. I would really push back on that.

I don't think he really buys it, my 10 yo already thinks its crap.

My real fear is that this eventually will tear my wife from me as they get older and if all 3 reject it. She will blame me. She already blames me.

I can't even imagine having to deal with that. *hugs* I hope it never comes to that and no matter what happens, your marriage is able to withstand all of this because I can tell from your posts that you really love each other.

At the same time, your kids being free from religious thinking and free to live the one life they have based on their own terms is paramount, imo. Whatever happens, you're doing right by them in allowing them the ability to live a free existence without the self-imposed prison of religion hindering them in any way.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
29-06-2017, 03:15 AM
That sucks the big one.

I'm not even sure what advice I can give other that to tell your kid to just have fun, and not take the christian stuff too seriously. My daughter attends a Sunday school thing, and it's like a play thing where they teach them bible stories. I've let it slide as she doesn't seem that bothered and when she asks me I just tell her it's all made up stories.

Hopefully they don't push the teaching aspect on them so hard. Maybe try an compromise with your wife and find a similar place, just with less religion involved.

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
29-06-2017, 04:27 AM
I remember camps like this when I was a kid, and I agree with other posters that what's (probably) important and memorable to your son about this week are the fun physical activities, crafts, etc. That's what I remember from mine. I couldn't tell you a single religious message from my church camps, although I'm sure there were plenty, but I remember the Creamsicles and how far away from the ground a horse's back was and the smell of singed leather, etc.

The Christian messages are so familiar that they're more background noise. A kid who's never been to church and never been proselytized at by a youth minister might pay attention to them...kids who've have to sit through Sunday services, etc., are just waiting for the speaker's mouth to stop moving so they can go back to the bouncy house.

If it was longer than a week, I think you'd have more to worry about. The great thing in any case is that your son can talk to you and you can ease his mind, if things worry him.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
29-06-2017, 05:33 AM
Hi organic,

I can't even imagine being married to a firm believer, and having that tug on our kids. No

You must be a very strong and reasonable person. Respect.

D.
[+] 1 user Likes Dworkin's post
29-06-2017, 08:02 AM
I am glad it's only one week. And I do think his take away will mostly be about the fun and activities.

My friend just posted about her kid's camp. She is an evangelical with 5 kids.

"It’s almost summer which means it’s time for our FLIP Kids Camp! Kids from 3 years to 5th grade will have a super fun week at our half-day camp! Our theme this year, GADGETS & GIZMOS, is geared to capture kids’ imaginations about their Creator so that they can discover how they are MADE by God, MADE for a relationship with Jesus, and MADE to love others. It will be an incredible week!"

How is this not brainwashing??

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes ShadowProject's post