Spring hill

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-06-2017, 11:07 AM
RE: Spring hill
(29-06-2017 08:02 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  I am glad it's only one week. And I do think his take away will mostly be about the fun and activities.

My friend just posted about her kid's camp. She is an evangelical with 5 kids.

"It’s almost summer which means it’s time for our FLIP Kids Camp! Kids from 3 years to 5th grade will have a super fun week at our half-day camp! Our theme this year, GADGETS & GIZMOS, is geared to capture kids’ imaginations about their Creator so that they can discover how they are MADE by God, MADE for a relationship with Jesus, and MADE to love others. It will be an incredible week!"

How is this not brainwashing??

Because jesus.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
29-06-2017, 02:18 PM
OC, I know this thread is specifically about the camp but is seems there is a larger issue here: the relationship between you and your wife. Without resolution there, these items will continue to be points of contention. I'm not suggesting a confrontation but an understanding or compromise needs to occur.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
Find all posts by this user
29-06-2017, 02:36 PM (This post was last modified: 29-06-2017 02:42 PM by Shai Hulud.)
Sorry OrganicChemist. Sad I looked through that website though, holy crap...way more to do than my Christian summer camp did. Weird enough, I saw this in one tab, then this from an Evangelical Youth Minister in another, "camp preview: "You can't buy justice with a coupon!""

(29-06-2017 04:27 AM)julep Wrote:  I remember camps like this when I was a kid, and I agree with other posters that what's (probably) important and memorable to your son about this week are the fun physical activities, crafts, etc. That's what I remember from mine. I couldn't tell you a single religious message from my church camps, although I'm sure there were plenty, but I remember the Creamsicles and how far away from the ground a horse's back was and the smell of singed leather, etc.

The Christian messages are so familiar that they're more background noise. A kid who's never been to church and never been proselytized at by a youth minister might pay attention to them...kids who've have to sit through Sunday services, etc., are just waiting for the speaker's mouth to stop moving so they can go back to the bouncy house.

If it was longer than a week, I think you'd have more to worry about. The great thing in any case is that your son can talk to you and you can ease his mind, if things worry him.

I can from mine, but that's because the examples were so outlandish at my Baptist summer camp. "You need to be ready to meet Hitler in Heaven, because he was a Christian, and once Saved, always Saved!" sorta stuff. Also interesting aside, one of the people I shared a cabin with for several years was eventually arrested as a pedophile.

(29-06-2017 08:02 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  How is this not brainwashing??

Back when I was but a sandtrout, in high school, I would have told you it wasn't. It was, to put it in the words of the camp, "a mountain top experience". Once you "went back to the world" you were "no longer surrounded by brothers and sisters in Christ and were back in the valley where things could get you down". But being kept up until 1am, get up at 6am, do lots of sports, prayer before every event from the twice a day sermons to the Bible study small groups to the free time to the three meals to the sports...then throw in a lot of emotionally manipulating things? The term seems somewhat apt.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post