Square circles

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-12-2016, 08:47 AM
Square circles
Okay, first, this isn't a debate. I have seemingly solved a dilemma that is repeatedly presented to me on generally theistic sites. I'm posting the dilemma and proposed solution here because you are the most critical people I am in contact with and honest criticism is what I am seeking. I ask that you please do not consider your opinion of me or theists or religion or GOD in your critique.

The dilemma;

GOD, though all knowing and all powerful, is limited by finite human logic. Basically the argument is that GOD cannot do some things. And while I understand this in some way, the example they generally use to express this false law is that none....not even GOD can make a square circle. My stance is that one cannot percieve the possibility bases within their own finite perspective alone.

Anyway. Saying that one can't make a square circle or whatever is simply a matter or dimensions. In a two dimensional plane a square is a square, but by adding a dimension a square can logically be a circle. It's called a cylinder. A triangle can be a square; it's called a pyramid. So basically my stance is that within a lesser or more closed perspective one may understand a circle to be a circle with no other capacity, but at a higher or more broad perspective even a young child can grasp that a three dimensional object (such as a cylinder) is truly both a circle and a square or rectangle.

As you know I am not the best at articulating my thoughts. I don't expect any here to help me, but have no doubt that my point could be conveyed more clearly. Please, any input is welcome.

I will be presenting this next time someone limits the potential of GOD in conversation with me. (Theists I mean)

That's all.

Thanks for attempting to read.

peace
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2016, 09:08 AM
RE: Square circles
NO DEBATE REQUIRED.

THREAD CLOSED

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
04-12-2016, 09:31 AM
As this is not intended as a religious / theistic discussion ...

Thread moved from the Coffeehouse to the Philosophy section.

It's a polite enough proposal so hey, why not?

I understand your geometric trick, Pops, and have no problem with the idea of adding one or more dimension(s) to reveal a new reality. It's essentially Plato's Cave and Flat Land.

I have no problem contemplating this.

But I missed the part where you demonstrated that a god (the attributes of which you did not define) had any influence of any kind in the creation of this extra dimensional perception of reality.

Undecided

04-12-2016, 09:37 AM
Imaginary things can do whatever you want them to, including the impossible.

It should be no mystery why such an idea can be easily dismissed.

[Image: 15809_410624b37b.jpg]

I'm glad your plaguing theist forums. Thumbsup

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
04-12-2016, 10:02 AM
They say you can't fit a square peg in a round hole.

--

Of course "they" have never seen me go to work with a 9 lb sledgehammer......

You'd be AMAZED what will fit.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
04-12-2016, 10:12 AM

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 5 users Like Hafnof's post
04-12-2016, 10:12 AM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2016 10:34 AM by GirlyMan.)
(04-12-2016 08:47 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  GOD, though all knowing and all powerful, is limited by finite human logic.

A better premise to start with is that GOD is intrinsically ineffable and defies all attempts at interrogation. GOD transcends thought. Then the argument is over and you can move on to more entertaining discussion. Like the weather. Or DLJ's livein Thai girly boys.

"God is a metaphor for that which transcends all levels of intellectual thought. It's as simple as that." - Joseph Campbell

(04-12-2016 08:47 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  ...not even GOD can make a square circle.

GOD is not limited to using just a compass and a straightedge silly poopy head. GOD can use calculus and infinite series and limits and transcendental numbers and shit. We can "exhaust the circle" to an arbitrary degree using polygons. As the number of sides of a polygon approach infinity the internal degree of the polygon approaches 360. We can then square the polygon. That is to say we can approximate squaring a circle to any accuracy that anyone would like with a sufficiently precise approximation of pi. But GOD, being transcendental and shit, ain't limited to an approximation of transcendental numbers. GOD embodies the transcendental numbers. Ergo, GOD can square the circle. quod erat defecado.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
04-12-2016, 10:30 AM
(04-12-2016 09:31 AM)DLJ Wrote:  As this is not intended as a religious / theistic discussion ...

Thread moved from the Coffeehouse to the Philosophy section.

It's a polite enough proposal so hey, why not?

I understand your geometric trick, Pops, and have no problem with the idea of adding one or more dimension(s) to reveal a new reality. It's essentially Plato's Cave and Flat Land.

I have no problem contemplating this.

But I missed the part where you demonstrated that a god (the attributes of which you did not define) had any influence of any kind in the creation of this extra dimensional perception of reality.

Undecided
It is merely a discussion on levels or different breadths of perceptions.

Thanks
04-12-2016, 10:31 AM
(04-12-2016 09:37 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Imaginary things can do whatever you want them to, including the impossible.

It should be no mystery why such an idea can be easily dismissed.

[Image: 15809_410624b37b.jpg]

I'm glad your plaguing theist forums. Thumbsup
Missing the point of the discussion but thanks.
04-12-2016, 10:31 AM
(04-12-2016 10:02 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  They say you can't fit a square peg in a round hole.

--

Of course "they" have never seen me go to work with a 9 lb sledgehammer......

You'd be AMAZED what will fit.....
More of the same.

I was hoping for a little more in depth conversation to be honest.

Thanks