Square circles

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-12-2016, 10:34 AM
RE: Square circles
(04-12-2016 10:12 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(04-12-2016 08:47 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  GOD, though all knowing and all powerful, is limited by finite human logic.

A better premise to start with is that GOD is intrinsically ineffable and defies all attempts at interrogation. GOD transcends thought. Then the argument is over and you can move on to more entertaining discussion. Like the weather.

"God is a metaphor for that which transcends all levels of intellectual thought. It's as simple as that." - Joseph Campbell

(04-12-2016 08:47 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  ...not even GOD can make a square circle.

GOD is not limited to using just a compass and a straightedge silly poopy head. GOD can use calculus and infinite series and limits and transcendental numbers and shit. We can "exhaust the circle" to an arbitrary degree using polygons. As the number of sides of a polygon approach infinity the internal degree of the polygon approaches 360. We can then square the polygon. That is to say we can approximate squaring a circle to any accuracy that anyone would like with a sufficiently precise approximation of pi. But GOD, being transcendental and shit, ain't limited to an approximation of transcendental numbers. GOD embodies the transcendental numbers. Ergo, GOD can square the circle. quod erat defecado.
That is so far past what the people I would be discussing it with in general would be able to comprehend. A wholly different perspective. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2016, 10:37 AM
(04-12-2016 10:12 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(04-12-2016 08:47 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  GOD, though all knowing and all powerful, is limited by finite human logic.

A better premise to start with is that GOD is intrinsically ineffable and defies all attempts at interrogation. GOD transcends thought. Then the argument is over and you can move on to more entertaining discussion. Like the weather. Or DLJ's livein Thai girly boys.

"God is a metaphor for that which transcends all levels of intellectual thought. It's as simple as that." - Joseph Campbell

(04-12-2016 08:47 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  ...not even GOD can make a square circle.

GOD is not limited to using just a compass and a straightedge silly poopy head. GOD can use calculus and infinite series and limits and transcendental numbers and shit. We can "exhaust the circle" to an arbitrary degree using polygons. As the number of sides of a polygon approach infinity the internal degree of the polygon approaches 360. We can then square the polygon. That is to say we can approximate squaring a circle to any accuracy that anyone would like with a sufficiently precise approximation of pi. But GOD, being transcendental and shit, ain't limited to an approximation of transcendental numbers. GOD embodies the transcendental numbers. Ergo, GOD can square the circle. quod erat defecado.

An even better start would be to prove that any god or gods exist. Nobody wants to do that, however. Probably because failure is the only option there.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-12-2016, 10:38 AM
(04-12-2016 10:37 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  An even better start would be to prove that any god or gods exist. Nobody wants to do that, however. Probably because failure is the only option there.

Bah. I start with the premise in my avvy. No one's proved me wrong yet. Tongue

#sigh
04-12-2016, 11:28 AM
(04-12-2016 10:12 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  

Those "square" drills have been around since the early 1990's...

A three sided bit makes a four side hole, a 4 sided bit makes a five sided hole, ect....

Of course they aren't really square -- the corners have radii in them....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
04-12-2016, 11:36 AM
(04-12-2016 08:47 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  In a two dimensional plane a square is a square, but by adding a dimension a square can logically be a circle. It's called a cylinder.

A cylinder is not a square extended into a third dimension. Extending a circle gets you a cylinder. Extending a square gets you a brick.

Quote:A triangle can be a square; it's called a pyramid.

No, four triangles can be arranged such that a square is formed but that doesn't make a triangle into a square.

If you are trying to say that your god is not limited by logic because it can operate in additional dimensions then that is a vacuous claim. You would first have to show that those additional dimensions exist. Piling one fantasy on top of another is not a path to truth.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
04-12-2016, 12:04 PM
(04-12-2016 11:36 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(04-12-2016 08:47 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  In a two dimensional plane a square is a square, but by adding a dimension a square can logically be a circle. It's called a cylinder.

A cylinder is not a square extended into a third dimension. Extending a circle gets you a cylinder. Extending a square gets you a brick.

Quote:A triangle can be a square; it's called a pyramid.

No, four triangles can be arranged such that a square is formed but that doesn't make a triangle into a square.

If you are trying to say that your god is not limited by logic because it can operate in additional dimensions then that is a vacuous claim. You would first have to show that those additional dimensions exist. Piling one fantasy on top of another is not a path to truth.

He's using perspective, not being literal. The base of a 3D pyramid would be square, the side view of a cylinder would be square or a rectangle.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
04-12-2016, 12:37 PM
(04-12-2016 10:38 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(04-12-2016 10:37 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  An even better start would be to prove that any god or gods exist. Nobody wants to do that, however. Probably because failure is the only option there.

Bah. I start with the premise in my avvy. No one's proved me wrong yet. Tongue

See? Requiring us to prove a negative. Well done. Thumbsup
04-12-2016, 01:31 PM
I've never been interested in philosophic discussions about deities because basically I'm a very pragmatic person and live in reality. Until Pops or anyone else provides incontrovertible evidence of at least one god, then the discussion might as well be about leprechauns, gnomes, unicorns and fairies.

So I'll go back to another part of the forum and bitch about trump some more. Unfortunately he's real.

By-by. Big Grin

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
04-12-2016, 01:51 PM
(04-12-2016 12:04 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(04-12-2016 11:36 AM)unfogged Wrote:  A cylinder is not a square extended into a third dimension. Extending a circle gets you a cylinder. Extending a square gets you a brick.

He's using perspective, not being literal. The base of a 3D pyramid would be square, the side view of a cylinder would be square or a rectangle.

Yeah, I got it with the pyramid but the way he said "a triangle can be a square" is just wrong. I never would have made that connection for a cylinder. since it requires going to 3D and then back to 2D to view it that way.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
04-12-2016, 01:54 PM
(04-12-2016 11:28 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(04-12-2016 10:12 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  

Those "square" drills have been around since the early 1990's...

A three sided bit makes a four side hole, a 4 sided bit makes a five sided hole, ect....

Of course they aren't really square -- the corners have radii in them....

They look like they would good work with carriage bolts though. Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post