Squatters

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-04-2016, 03:53 PM
Squatters
This news video is not about me, but I am currently in a similar situation. I'm the landlord, not the squatter.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/couple-continue...d=38319406

Sapere aude
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-04-2016, 05:24 PM
RE: Squatters
That's a nightmare!

There is something seriously wrong with the legal system.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
13-04-2016, 05:32 PM
That's just fucked up.

Sorry Fstop.

Hug

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

13-04-2016, 05:38 PM
Serve them with an official notice to vacate after 90 days (Maryland time). Don't matter if they got a proper lease or rental agreement or not. In MD if they've squatted for more than 30 days they are residents and eviction is the only legal means. If they don't vacate within 90 days the Maryland Sheriff's Department is obligated to remove them.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
13-04-2016, 06:30 PM
(13-04-2016 05:38 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Serve them with an official notice to vacate after 90 days (Maryland time). Don't matter if they got a proper lease or rental agreement or not. In MD if they've squatted for more than 30 days they are residents and eviction is the only legal means. If they don't vacate within 90 days the Maryland Sheriff's Department is obligated to remove them.
I have a lawyer on the case.

They do not have a lease.

Sapere aude
13-04-2016, 07:22 PM
I don't get it... what's the difference between these people and someone breaking and entering? Why don't they arrest her for trespass. This is BS.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
13-04-2016, 08:43 PM
(13-04-2016 06:30 PM)f stop Wrote:  
(13-04-2016 05:38 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Serve them with an official notice to vacate after 90 days (Maryland time). Don't matter if they got a proper lease or rental agreement or not. In MD if they've squatted for more than 30 days they are residents and eviction is the only legal means. If they don't vacate within 90 days the Maryland Sheriff's Department is obligated to remove them.
I have a lawyer on the case.

I did it myself. No legal costs incurred.

(13-04-2016 06:30 PM)f stop Wrote:  They do not have a lease.

Doesn't matter in MD. If they can show they been resident in a MD property for more than 30 days, you gotta give them a 90-day eviction notice.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
13-04-2016, 09:00 PM
Sounds like the right course of action is to re-squat on the squatters. Then let them try and take YOU to court to evict YOU Smile
13-04-2016, 09:31 PM
(13-04-2016 08:43 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  If they can show they been resident in a MD property for more than 30 days, ...
Laws vary from state to state but in general any such residency must be during a period when (A)the owner knew, or could reasonably be expected to know, that the squatters were in possession of the property, and (B)the owner made no effort to regain possession. Any action by the owner to regain possession restarts the clock.

(13-04-2016 08:43 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  ... you gotta give them a 90-day eviction notice.
Three days in Ohio. That's why I pay a lawyer. Every day they are in there costs me money. If he can speed up the process I lose less in the long run.

Sapere aude
13-04-2016, 09:37 PM
Have you considered non legal options? Evil_monster

'Murican Canadian