St Anthony

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-09-2014, 05:04 AM
St Anthony
Always found it interesting how St Anthony gets the credit when people invoke his help when looking for things, and credit him for finding the lost item, after spending an amount of time searching for it themselves.
So I put this together. What do you think?

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-09-2014, 05:58 AM
RE: St Anthony
I like it, but I think your conclusion is wrong. It seems obvious to me that St Anthony's powers must be limited to inanimate objects like books and keys. For finding living creatures you have to invoke his boss, Jebus.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
20-09-2014, 12:40 PM
When I fished for a living (a Newfie that fished? No way!) we docked in St. Anthony a lot.
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
20-09-2014, 02:38 PM
Fucking catholics will believe anything.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
20-09-2014, 02:46 PM
Why is there a saint for absolutely everything? Are we sure its purely monotheistic? It all seems very Greek to me.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 4 users Like grizzlysnake's post
22-09-2014, 05:13 AM
Thanks unfogged. I agree that based on the origin story it would not make sense to extend the superstition to people. However he is recognised as the patron saint of finding things or lost people.

(20-09-2014 05:58 AM)unfogged Wrote:  I like it, but I think your conclusion is wrong. It seems obvious to me that St Anthony's powers must be limited to inanimate objects like books and keys. For finding living creatures you have to invoke his boss, Jebus.
22-09-2014, 05:21 AM
Good point. It is like praising another God, if by God you mean a supernatural eternal being with the ability to influence and direct your existence on earth.
And the bible says God is too jealous for that.

(20-09-2014 02:46 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Why is there a saint for absolutely everything? Are we sure its purely monotheistic? It all seems very Greek to me.
22-09-2014, 05:24 AM
Did you mean 'devotees'?

Are you going to make a series of cards with the super-skills listed for each one?

If it takes off, I foresee a movie franchise and a cartoon series.

Thumbsup

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
22-09-2014, 06:14 AM
So, under "powers", St. Anthony was able to pray to God to make a person return a stolen item? He can compel God to violate people's free will?

Powers: St. Anthony has the ability to completely undo theodicy whenever he feels like it, and that makes apologists sad. Or not, and they'll probably spin something up to say why free will is still a thing and totally important.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
22-09-2014, 06:32 AM
I worked as a Realtor for years before being a Mom, people bury them upside down in the landscaping of their yard in hopes it will bring a quick sale with a good price.

Loads and loads of people do it.

Oh, and he must be upside down!

Edit: just googled, my bad, it's St Joeseph. I hope I didn't mess up anyone's plan.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller