Stagnation in growth of non-religious :(

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-08-2016, 07:53 AM
Stagnation in growth of non-religious :(
I read in the Metro newspaper this morning but can't find it on their website now that the number of those who consider themselves of "no religion" has stagnated Sad

It cited the increase in Britain from 1983-2000ish (I think.. trying to remember all the numbers from memory) from around 30 percent to 51% of British population as putting themselves down as having no religion.

between 2009-2016 though there has been no change in that percentage and they think it is being masked by a growth in non-Anglican religions.

DAGNABIT!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-08-2016, 06:30 PM
RE: Stagnation in growth of non-religious :(
(08-08-2016 07:53 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  I read in the Metro newspaper this morning but can't find it on their website now that the number of those who consider themselves of "no religion" has stagnated Sad

It cited the increase in Britain from 1983-2000ish (I think.. trying to remember all the numbers from memory) from around 30 percent to 51% of British population as putting themselves down as having no religion.

between 2009-2016 though there has been no change in that percentage and they think it is being masked by a growth in non-Anglican religions.

DAGNABIT!
Is it possible that immigrants are coming in (in significant numbers) with their religion indoctorined into them from their previous country?
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
08-08-2016, 06:43 PM
Wow it's gone up to 51%? I know it sucks it's not growing but that's over half the population! I wish that was the case here in the States. I think we are seeing growth especially as newer generations are being taken into account but I agree with Stevil, perhaps in influx of Muslim immigrants are skewing the numbers.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
09-08-2016, 01:52 AM
I think the Metro was referring to an as yet unpublished British Social Attitudes survey and the reason it was pulled was precisely because it is an unpublished survey. So we don't know anything about the sample size, sample criteria, questions asked etc.

The survey allegedly states that those identifying themselves as xtian has risen from 42% to 43%. But that's pretty meaningless as a statistic on its own.

The most recent published survey was only released in May of this year and that showed for England and Wales the non-religious outnumbered xtians by 48.5% to 43.8%. In Scotland the figure was even more pronounced at 52% being of no religion.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/m...ales-study

If there has been a levelling out of xtian numbers it's very possibly down to immigration from west Africa and eastern Europe.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 1 user Likes Silly Deity's post
15-08-2016, 11:40 AM
Hardly stagnating in the USA as this graph plainly shows. As the Old Guard dies off the unaffiliated New Guard grows by generation. Thumbsup

[Image: EWCA-PRRI-Religious-Affiliation-by-Age.p...amp;w=1484]

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monk...rmedbroker

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
15-08-2016, 12:41 PM
(15-08-2016 11:40 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Hardly stagnating in the USA as this graph plainly shows. As the Old Guard dies off the unaffiliated New Guard grows by generation. Thumbsup

If I'm reading that right, between 2 to 3 generations from now there will be no new white christians being ... well ... generated.

But the Hispanic christian population might steady or perhaps grow in number.

Should we consider creating a Spanish version of TTA? Or how about that wall?

Consider

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
15-08-2016, 12:54 PM
(15-08-2016 12:41 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(15-08-2016 11:40 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Hardly stagnating in the USA as this graph plainly shows. As the Old Guard dies off the unaffiliated New Guard grows by generation. Thumbsup

If I'm reading that right, between 2 to 3 generations from now there will be no new white christians being ... well ... generated.

Consider

The Spanish version should be titled "TETAS". Yes I'm seeing more Hispanics coming out as atheist, too. Only a smattering, but once the flood gate erodes a little...
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
15-08-2016, 01:26 PM
(15-08-2016 12:54 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(15-08-2016 12:41 PM)DLJ Wrote:  If I'm reading that right, between 2 to 3 generations from now there will be no new white christians being ... well ... generated.

Consider

The Spanish version should be titled "TETAS". Yes I'm seeing more Hispanics coming out as atheist, too. Only a smattering, but once the flood gate erodes a little...

I support your choice of name!

@DLJ - I don’t think that could happen, it’ll just become a smaller percentage. As for the Hispanic Christian community that’s a different matter. Those of us raised in the States are more prone to become unafilliated or even atheist however those immigrating are still very religious. I can provide headless chickens as evidence if you like, just send me your address. Angel

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
15-08-2016, 02:07 PM
Atheists don't reproduce as quickly and as bountifully as those compelled by their god(s) to do so. We plan our families with consideration for our careers and the children we already have. We tend to start reproducing later in life as well.
16-08-2016, 01:59 PM
(15-08-2016 12:54 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(15-08-2016 12:41 PM)DLJ Wrote:  If I'm reading that right, between 2 to 3 generations from now there will be no new white christians being ... well ... generated.

Consider

I like tits " tetas" but the Spanish version of the site would be EPA . El pensador ateo = The thinking atheist.Thumbsup

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
[+] 2 users Like Leo's post