Stalagmites and stalactites

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-12-2011, 06:43 AM
Stalagmites and stalactites
I was just reading the post made by Erxomai (http://thethinkingatheist.com/forum/Thre...y-Atheism) and it just gave me one idea I haven't seen before.

How do Creationists explain stalagmites and stalactites and their creation? It's easy to calculate how many years does it take for a single centimeter to form, so if we look at some large stalagmites and stalactites, we can easy calculate them to be there, forming for the last 10, 20, 30 thousands of years. Anyone ever asked them to explain it using Creationism and ID?

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-12-2011, 07:21 AM
RE: Stalagmites and stalactites
Since Creationists keep their head in the sand so much, you'd think they would have a better idea of how they're formed.
As for my memory of the topic...I have no memory of the topic. I "religiously" avoided those sorts of questions and just figured If I believed in an all-powerful deity, then said deity was smart enough and powerful enough to make it work out somehow. You have heard of miracles, right? Well there's one being played out in nature. Other arguments could include ideas such as YHWH creating the earth with stags and stacs already mostly underway. I also trusted that my brothers and sisters in Christ who were smarter than me in the ways of science had it figured out somehow. But again, truthfully, the question never came up. I didn't hang out with atheists and the people I did discuss things with would accept the answer that God can do anything.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
07-12-2011, 09:14 AM
FLOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!​!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FLOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!​!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FLOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!​!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Evolve
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
07-12-2011, 09:42 AM
[Image: speaklolcat.jpg]

A LONG, LONG TIEM AGO, CEILIN CAT MADE HUMANZ. AFTR WHILE, CEILIN CAT GOT PISD BY TEH HUMANZ 4 THEY R EVIL. DEN, HE FLOODD TEH ENTIRE F&^%ING WURLD. CEILIN CAT GOT SO ANGRY, HE PUNCHD TEH GROUND, CREATIN HOLEZ WHICH R CAVEZ TODAI, STALAGMITEZ AN STALACTITEZ R RESULTS OV TEH SHOCKWAVE OV TEH MEGA PUNCH CEILIN CAT MADE 2 FLOOD TEH F&^%ING WURLD

TEH END. ALL PRAIZE CEILIN CAT

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
[+] 8 users Like robotworld's post
07-12-2011, 10:05 AM
I revoke my previous post of a biblical flood and instead now support the great Ceilin Cat flood/world-punch idea.
CAT FLOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Evolve
[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
07-12-2011, 12:19 PM
icanhascheezburger FLOOD!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
07-12-2011, 01:18 PM
(07-12-2011 06:43 AM)Filox Wrote:  How do Creationists explain stalagmites and stalactites and their creation?

Every bad idea has an Answers in Genesis entry. You can find their shrine to awesomeness here:

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles...talactites

Their Conclusion:

Because of the evidence for fast-growing stalactites now becoming available, we can safely conclude that the world’s beautiful limestone cave formations may not have needed countless thousands of years to form. These spectacular formations could have formed quite rapidly in just a few thousand years—a time framework consistent with the view that they were formed during the closing stages of, and after, the worldwide Flood of Noah’s time.

My Conclusion:

Any evidence that shows the world is old has a single answer from creationist that comes in many different forms:

"You weren't there, so you don't know for sure!"

Because our understanding of the world relies on stuff working today the same way it worked yesterday unless there is a demonstrable reason to suspect it is different, they will say that our current understanding did not hold true back in 4000 BCE.
[+] 1 user Likes sacrosanct's post
07-12-2011, 01:32 PM
...and that wasn't juvenile? Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
08-12-2011, 02:17 AM
Thanx sacrosanct, this was expectedly terrible explanation, kinda guessed it's gonna be something like this.

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
08-12-2011, 05:38 AM
(07-12-2011 01:18 PM)sacrosanct Wrote:  You can find their shrine to awesomeness here:

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles...talactites

They had me at 'evidence'. Their explanations make so much sense, I'm now convinced of YEC. Except for the God part. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post