Stand alone DVR

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-08-2018, 11:53 AM
Stand alone DVR
I' d like to get a DVR so I can record TV shows - off the air.

Who makes one - that does NOT require me to pay some prick company to watch TV that' s broadcast over the air??

And yes - I already understand that the TV stations, the FCC and the advertisers are all in bed together - and don't want me to zip past the commercials.

I'm a double atheist. I don't believe in your god or your politician.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2018, 01:19 PM
RE: Stand alone DVR
Check out Kodi. Kodi is a streaming video/audio server. It can run on any system, Linux, Windows, Mac. There are a number of stand alone Kodi boxes for sale out there. Kodi by itself does not include DVR, but there are many DVR/PVR systems that can be added to Kodi. Kodi is modular and many people have written add ons for Kodi, including ways to record. Lately Kodi box sellers have been under legal pressure because some have included software add ons that are claimed to facilitate piracy. Ability to download torrents, decode them and play or record them. Kodi handles video, audio, and basically can be run on about any hardware. From a good system, to a Rasberry Pi. To record, you will need something that allows you to connect to a large hard disk.

There are a lot of How Tos for Kodi on you tube.

β€œIt is impossible for someone to lie unless he thinks he knows the truth. Producing bullshit requires no such conviction.”
― Harry G. Frankfurt, On Bullshit

Cheerful Charlie
12-08-2018, 01:29 PM
I'll ask my son. He's friends with a lot of creative techie guys who might know.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

12-08-2018, 01:34 PM
If your going to record TV shows then I do not know why you simply don't just download them from torrent sites?

You can download whole seasons or the most current episode as quick as a few hours after they have been on television, mostly in high quality.

9.9999 times out of ten they will not have the adverts in them.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
12-08-2018, 02:21 PM
(12-08-2018 01:34 PM)bemore Wrote:  If your going to record TV shows then I do not know why you simply don't just download them from torrent sites?

You can download whole seasons or the most current episode as quick as a few hours after they have been on television, mostly in high quality.

9.9999 times out of ten they will not have the adverts in them.

Our internet service is very limited. The bandwidth we have - one hour of programming would eat up our entire month' s allowance.

I'm a double atheist. I don't believe in your god or your politician.