Unsure. (Comment)
[Show Results]

Stand your ground laws

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-07-2013, 08:11 PM
RE: Stand your ground laws
(25-07-2013 08:03 PM)Julius Wrote:  
(25-07-2013 07:33 PM)Chas Wrote:  And none of that has anything to do with SYG laws, the subject of this thread.

Actually, it has everything to do with SYG laws. Ever since these SYG laws became enacted, I have seen many gun owner express a militant willingness to advocate doing what is legal ans egotistically satisfying, instead of doing what is wise. As a result, instead of advocating gracefully exiting a potentially volatile situation and letting things cool off, they stress that they are not compelled by law to leave before the other guy gets violent and has to have his brains blown out.

Had George Zimmerman done what us wise - backing off and waiting for the cops - instead of doing what was legal - stalking Trayvon, then Trayvon Martin would be alive today.

Stalking has nothing to do with SYG laws. You are being absurd.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-07-2013, 08:37 PM
(25-07-2013 12:31 PM)Julius Wrote:  
(25-07-2013 01:14 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  I'm waiting for the day when two of these SYG assholes blow each other away.

Well...these two SYG-type guys didn't kill each other, but they did make total ass-clowns of themselves while excercising thier inalienable right to be a douchebag. It's quite a story. I wish I had the video.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/crime/pair-...67661.html

Hmm.... one wonders what happens when a stray round kills an innocent bystander?
Find all posts by this user
26-07-2013, 08:47 AM
Re: RE: Stand your ground laws
(25-07-2013 05:59 PM)Julius Wrote:  
(25-07-2013 05:19 PM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  They only gray area here is all the public speculation and over night law professors rambling about a case they aren't truly informed on, that should have never reached national attention.

Also, "warning" shots are criminal negligence at the least and should be treated as such. A firearm isn't a posturing tool.

Yeah...but what isn't a Gray Area is how George Zimmerman stalked Trayvon Martin with a gun when there was absolutely no reason to believe that Trayvon Martin was committing a crime, or was about to commit a crime. Then, after George finally follows the kid for so long that he provokes a reaction that he can't handle, he shoots the kid dead.

Those are the facts - and those facts deserve some attention by anyone who would carry a gun.

Carrying a gun does not give one the right to act like a Grade-A Douchebag like Zimmerman acted that night. And I bet you if that mealy-mouthed Zimmerman hadn't been carrying a gun that night, then he wouldn't have been so emboldened and stalked Trayvon.

You pretty much proved my point by typing that bias ridden garbage.
26-07-2013, 12:49 PM (This post was last modified: 26-07-2013 12:52 PM by Julius.)
Here's another SYG "Hero" who just couldn't leave well enough alone and chose to walk into a volatile situation with a gun - and shot some stupid, angry man. It was so unessessary. BTW, the shooter has a history of pulling a gun on his sister and her boyfriend. This doesn't surprise me.

As a society, we need to start putting these cowardly, wanna-be killers in jail.
26-07-2013, 12:50 PM
Oops. Double Post. Sorry.
26-07-2013, 12:53 PM (This post was last modified: 26-07-2013 01:05 PM by Chas.)
(26-07-2013 12:49 PM)Julius Wrote:  Here's another SYG "Heoro" who just couldn't leave well enough alone and chose to walk into a volatile situation with a gun - and shot some stupid, angry man. It was so unessessary. BTW, the shooter has a history of pulling a gun on his sister and her boyfriend. This doesn't surprise me.

As a society, we need to start putting these cowardly, wanna-be killers in jail.

Your argument is very weak.

How is this an example? Where in that report is SYG even referenced?
If anything, this is an example of a Castle Law.

Do you really believe that a few bonehead incidents constitute evidence that the law is flawed?

26-07-2013, 01:47 PM
(26-07-2013 12:53 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(26-07-2013 12:49 PM)Julius Wrote:  Here's another SYG "Heoro" who just couldn't leave well enough alone and chose to walk into a volatile situation with a gun - and shot some stupid, angry man. It was so unessessary. BTW, the shooter has a history of pulling a gun on his sister and her boyfriend. This doesn't surprise me.

Your argument is very weak.

Do you really believe that a few bonehead incidents constitute evidence that the law is flawed?

A few incidents? The internet is chocked full of "Citizen Heros" using SYG as an excuse to stab, shoot and kick-in-the-face until dead people they late claim were a "Threat" - when the only real threat these guys were presenting was in the "Heoros" mind.

Also, I said before that I like the SYG laws even though I have grave reservations about the way they are being applied by so many "Citizen Heros" hellbent on killing people.

Here's a so-called "Self Defense" situation where a young woman takes her sweet time getting a rifle out of her trunk in order to shoot an old man - when she could have just driven away. Wow...the current interpretation of SYG really helps save lives, huh?

26-07-2013, 01:50 PM
(26-07-2013 08:47 AM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  
(25-07-2013 05:59 PM)Julius Wrote:  Yeah...but what isn't a Gray Area is how George Zimmerman stalked Trayvon Martin with a gun when there was absolutely no reason to believe that Trayvon Martin was committing a crime, or was about to commit a crime. Then, after George finally follows the kid for so long that he provokes a reaction that he can't handle, he shoots the kid dead.

Those are the facts - and those facts deserve some attention by anyone who would carry a gun.

Carrying a gun does not give one the right to act like a Grade-A Douchebag like Zimmerman acted that night. And I bet you if that mealy-mouthed Zimmerman hadn't been carrying a gun that night, then he wouldn't have been so emboldened and stalked Trayvon.

You pretty much proved my point by typing that bias ridden garbage.

Yeah. While I agree that Zimmerman was in the wrong simply because he followed the dude, even after police told him not to, throwing in all these opinion making adjectives kind of nullifies the point.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
26-07-2013, 02:05 PM
(26-07-2013 01:50 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(26-07-2013 08:47 AM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  You pretty much proved my point by typing that bias ridden garbage.

Yeah. While I agree that Zimmerman was in the wrong simply because he followed the dude, even after police told him not to, throwing in all these opinion making adjectives kind of nullifies the point.

What is Zimmerman somehow NOT a Douchebag?

I am nor here to make the supporters of this kind of behavoir feel good about themselves - just the opposite in fact. Too many of these gun-toting yahoos think they are American Legends - the Sheep Dogs defending the Sheep against the Wolves who infest society.

I want to destroy that mindset.

These "American Hero" gunslingers get thier inspiration from the likes of Douchebags like Lt Col Dave Grossman's essay entitled, "On Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs". http://mwkworks.com/onsheepwolvesandsheepdogs.html

You ought to read that essay - it's just chocked full of delusional thinking. Grossman assumes that any guy not spending his life going around blowing away assholes is some kind of coward - a sheep. And...it's only giys like him - the "Sheepdogs" that enable the rest of us to live a free and comfortable life.

Well...all I got to say about that is, "F__k you in the arse Lt Col Dave Grossman!".
26-07-2013, 02:43 PM
(26-07-2013 01:47 PM)Julius Wrote:  
(26-07-2013 12:53 PM)Chas Wrote:  Your argument is very weak.

A few incidents? The internet is chocked full of "Citizen Heros" using SYG as an excuse to stab, shoot and kick-in-the-face until dead people they late claim were a "Threat" - when the only real threat these guys were presenting was in the "Heoros" mind.

Also, I said before that I like the SYG laws even though I have grave reservations about the way they are being applied by so many "Citizen Heros" hellbent on killing people.

Here's a so-called "Self Defense" situation where a young woman takes her sweet time getting a rifle out of her trunk in order to shoot an old man - when she could have just driven away. Wow...the current interpretation of SYG really helps save lives, huh?

It's certainly not about saving the lives of people who commit assault and battery, it's about protecting the victims.

The asshole in that film is the guy with the knife who doesn't give up. He got shot? Too fucking bad.

Every video you post is simply more evidence that there are stupid, aggressive people, and do not support your argument.