Unsure. (Comment)
[Show Results]

Stand your ground laws

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-07-2013, 02:14 PM
RE: Stand your ground laws
(18-07-2013 02:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(18-07-2013 02:06 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I would reword that to, "I might have a fighting chance."

True, but I am a good shot. Drinking Beverage

But that won't matter if they already have their gun pulled on you.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
18-07-2013, 02:17 PM
(18-07-2013 02:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(18-07-2013 02:06 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I would reword that to, "I might have a fighting chance."

True, but I am a good shot. Drinking Beverage

To add to what TheBeardedDude said, have ever tried to shoot a person while under fire?

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
18-07-2013, 02:17 PM
That is certainly different. Being under fire almost certainly means deescalating the situation is not possible.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
18-07-2013, 02:18 PM
All I know is that, if I am sleeping in my bed, and I hear someone in the house, I am grabbing my gun, and if the dog doesn't take him down (which he will) I'm gonna shoot before I ask questions.

If the dog takes him down, then I can walk in with my gun, call the dog off and call the cops while holding the guy at gun point and dog point.

I ain't fooling around with anyone who intrudes in my house at night.

That said, I don't go around following people, they have to break into my house.

Being armed and following someone who is outside should be punishable IMO.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
18-07-2013, 02:20 PM
The stand your ground law isn't about an intruder in your home. You already have self-defense laws that protect you in that situation.

—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
18-07-2013, 02:22 PM
(18-07-2013 02:18 PM)Dom Wrote:  All I know is that, if I am sleeping in my bed, and I hear someone in the house, I am grabbing my gun, and if the dog doesn't take him down (which he will) I'm gonna shoot before I ask questions.

If the dog takes him down, then I can walk in with my gun, call the dog off and call the cops while holding the guy at gun point and dog point.

That said, I don't go around following people, they have to break into my house.

If someone breaks into your house, they want to steal something. Because he is a burglar, he would most likely disengage and flee. There would be no violence necessary. The amount of strangers that commit murder in someone else's house is extremely low. Not saying you don't have the right, I am simply stating facts here.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
18-07-2013, 02:22 PM
(18-07-2013 02:18 PM)Dom Wrote:  All I know is that, if I am sleeping in my bed, and I hear someone in the house, I am grabbing my gun, and if the dog doesn't take him down (which he will) I'm gonna shoot before I ask questions.

This is the difference between a castle law and Stand your ground. In your scenario you have every right to defend life and home against an intruder. However outside of ones home the statutes go from being "common sense" to being very murky and seemingly leaning towards vigilantism.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
18-07-2013, 02:25 PM
(18-07-2013 01:31 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(18-07-2013 01:22 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  If you think that, you have no idea what was at stake in that trial and don't have a clue as to that happened there.

Man called 911 said he saw a suspicious black man (not exactly what he said but I'll keep the racists slang out) then said he was going to follow him 911 operator told him "We don't need you to do that" after that he followed the unarmed teenager for some distance until the teenager confronted him. At this point it is hard to say what exactly transpired because Zimmerman's testimony changed multiple times. The end result is Zimmerman had some lacerations to the head and a bloody nose Martin was shot dead.

Please explain how that is not manslaughter. 1 party provoked an interaction the 2nd party (unarmed) was killed because of it. At no point did Travon Martin break the law until the confrontation with Zimmerman (and even after that it is impossible to say what exactly transpired due to the lack of witnesses and Zimmermans testimony)

Depends on who you ask. Zimmerman claimed Martin had him down on the ground and had smashed his head into the curb. Given that happened, it's reasonable to assume he felt Martin was trying to kill him and he shot him at that point. If that's true, then Zimmerman was fully justified to kill him under the boundaries of justifiable homicide.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
18-07-2013, 02:26 PM
(18-07-2013 02:22 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  

If someone breaks into your house, they want to steal something. Because he is a burglar, he would most likely disengage and flee. There would be no violence necessary. The amount of strangers that commit murder in someone else's house is extremely low. Not saying you don't have the right, I am simply stating facts here.

I'm taking zero chances. And - home invasions even in the daytime when all inhabitants are home take place quite often, and they are generally brutal.

No way am I going to take a chance in a case like that.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
18-07-2013, 02:26 PM
(18-07-2013 02:22 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  

Are you willing to bet your life on that?

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade