Standards of Coincidence

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-02-2015, 04:09 AM (This post was last modified: 15-02-2015 04:13 AM by TruthFire.)
Standards of Coincidence
In our lives, there are events that we can attribute to chance, and those that we cannot. My question is where science draws the line.

Assume that you were to draw one card at a time from a deck, and someone sitting across from you were correctly guessing whether you were drawing a red or black card. Surely 1-10 correct guesses in a row might still be attributed to luck or coincidence. What about 100, 500, 99,999,999 correct guesses in a row?

I feel that I might be complicating my question, so here's the condensed simplified version: Are there specific odds beyond which scientists universally agree are definitely NOT coincidence or 'luck of the draw'?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-02-2015, 04:22 AM
RE: Standards of Coincidence
I guess the closest real life situation I can think of that involves this question is the ongoing struggle between online poker rooms and the US government.

Poker players claim that poker is not a game of chance. They claim that it is a game of skill - the skill of making the best of whatever hand you are dealt. Proof for it being skill and not random is that some people consistently win the big poker tournaments.

The government holds that it is a game of chance, nobody knows what cards they will be dealt.

If it is a game of chance, it is illegal online.

If it is a game of skill, it is perfectly legal.

They have been arguing for a decade...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
15-02-2015, 04:46 AM (This post was last modified: 15-02-2015 08:28 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(15-02-2015 04:09 AM)TruthFire Wrote:  In our lives, there are events that we can attribute to chance, and those that we cannot. My question is where science draws the line.

Assume that you were to draw one card at a time from a deck, and someone sitting across from you were correctly guessing whether you were drawing a red or black card. Surely 1-10 correct guesses in a row might still be attributed to luck or coincidence. What about 100, 500, 99,999,999 correct guesses in a row?

I feel that I might be complicating my question, so here's the condensed simplified version: Are there specific odds beyond which scientists universally agree are definitely NOT coincidence or 'luck of the draw'?

No. Ya mean at which point "Jebus done it ?" The answer is "no".
Highly unusual events happen all the time.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
15-02-2015, 05:42 AM
Science "draws the line" at probability.
Something either has a high probability of happening or low probability.
At no point does science conclude it was magic.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
15-02-2015, 05:56 AM
(15-02-2015 04:09 AM)TruthFire Wrote:  In our lives, there are events that we can attribute to chance, and those that we cannot. My question is where science draws the line.

Statistical significance is what you are looking for.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
15-02-2015, 06:11 AM
(15-02-2015 05:56 AM)Chas Wrote:  

But that just begs the question "Is there a significance level which scientists universally agree ..." I think the answer to the question is no.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
15-02-2015, 07:32 AM
(15-02-2015 05:56 AM)Chas Wrote:  

Good work! Statistical Significance was exactly what I was looking for!
15-02-2015, 07:42 AM
Chance is an umbrella term used to describe situations where we do not have enough information to determine an outcome.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
15-02-2015, 07:55 AM
"Ford! There's an infinite number of monkeys outside who want to talk to us about this script for Hamlet they've worked out." - Arthur Dent

Or something like that.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post