Standing Desks

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-01-2015, 12:00 PM
RE: Standing Desks
I've been hoping for these @ work... But that will never happen. At home, I hardly have enough free time to justify buying one. This kickstarter was tempting me last year.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/203...stand-desk
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
02-01-2015, 12:03 PM
(01-01-2015 10:44 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  My new office chair is a Varidesk Pro Plus.
[Image: 10891676_10204775180915253_1758247225102747410_n.jpg]

Is anyone else doing the standing desk thing?

[Image: varidesk-pro-plus-high-16102014.jpg]

(and yes that's a RØDE Podcaster in the background and An Honest Liar playing, but forget the banana-bread beer... it's nothing special).

How stable/sturdy is the mouse tray? As it is, I avoid putting my mouse on the sliding tray as it's never solid.
02-01-2015, 12:14 PM
(02-01-2015 12:00 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  I've been hoping for these @ work... But that will never happen. At home, I hardly have enough free time to justify buying one. This kickstarter was tempting me last year.

Thanks for posting that; it looks awesome. Smile

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
02-01-2015, 12:32 PM
We got a couple guys using them. One has a setup like yours and another has like a $2200 version where the whole desk moves up and down.

#sigh
02-01-2015, 12:48 PM
A little off topic but in trying to accommodate my lapcat and my laptop I came across this item.

[Image: laptop-computer-desks-sale-prices-2.jpg]

I wonder if my cat would fit under the little table on my lap while I type away making idiot remarks on TTA forum AND while I sit on my couch. Undecided

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
04-01-2015, 01:05 AM
(02-01-2015 12:00 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  I've been hoping for these @ work... But that will never happen. At home, I hardly have enough free time to justify buying one. This kickstarter was tempting me last year.

That unit has a higher weight limit than mine. It goes to 225lbs, whereas mine has a maximum capacity of 35lbs (15.88kg). I also noticed they have a cable management device included whereas the cables dangle in mine and room has to be allowed to ensure they move without getting caught during the transitions. I wonder how much this one will sell for when it is released. It would be impressive to see that sort of automation come in under $500.

Mine is spring-assist only, but for the weight that I have on it that is perfectly fine. I'm finding it easy to switch positions whenever I want to. The mob I purchased from do have a slightly larger model, the Pro 48 which comes in at a little over $500, would fill my entire desk space, can hold an extra couple of kilograms (up to 20.41kg) and needs a couple of holes punched into it so that the user can actually reach both levers at the same time.

(02-01-2015 12:03 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  How stable/sturdy is the mouse tray? As it is, I avoid putting my mouse on the sliding tray as it's never solid.

The tray is fixed in position, and is sturdy. There is some wobble in in the overall desk. If I shake it can get my (adjustable) monitor to jiggle a few millimeters and I can get some jiggle in the monitor by typing quickly, but overall it still feels stable. The desk itself is 23.8kg, so I don't expect it to tip over any time soon.

(02-01-2015 12:48 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  A little off topic but in trying to accommodate my lapcat and my laptop I came across this item.

[Image: laptop-computer-desks-sale-prices-2.jpg]

I wonder if my cat would fit under the little table on my lap while I type away making idiot remarks on TTA forum AND while I sit on my couch. Undecided

As with cables it might be wise to keep kitty tails and paws away from the moving parts Wink

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.