Stanley Cup Playoffs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-06-2017, 06:53 AM
Stanley Cup Playoffs
As I write this, the Nashville Predators and the Pittsburgh Penguins series is tied at 2 games apiece. https://www.nhl.com/stanley-cup-playoffs

The Stanley Cup Playoffs have been going on since April 12. It's now June 7 and there a minimum of 2 games to go.

I'm as much of a hockey fan as any Canadian, but the playoffs go on for much, much too long... Combine that with the abysmal officiating (not as bad as the NBA but still pretty bad) and the offside video reviews that suck the life right out of the game.

I won't speak for anyone else, but I think playing hockey in mid-June is just plain silly.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post
07-06-2017, 08:07 AM
RE: Stanley Cup Playoffs
(07-06-2017 06:53 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  As I write this, the Nashville Predators and the Pittsburgh Penguins series is tied at 2 games apiece. https://www.nhl.com/stanley-cup-playoffs

The Stanley Cup Playoffs have been going on since April 12. It's now June 7 and there a minimum of 2 games to go.

I'm as much of a hockey fan as any Canadian, but the playoffs go on for much, much too long... Combine that with the abysmal officiating (not as bad as the NBA but still pretty bad) and the offside video reviews that suck the life right out of the game.

I won't speak for anyone else, but I think playing hockey in mid-June is just plain silly.

There are no penguins in Pittsburg, or even close to Pittsburg..
They won a lot, including last year. Let somebody else have it.
I hope Nashville wins, even though nobody plays hockey over there.
Does the team sing a country tune when they score a goal ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
07-06-2017, 08:36 AM
I can't get over how enthusiastic the Nashville fans are ... not what you'd expect in Tennessee, especially given the lack of hockey tradition there.
Must be a "bread and circuses" thang ...

Still, I hope the Preds win, just so that Subban gets a ring and I can watch Marc Bergevin get flayed alive in the media. Again.

(Huge Habs fan here, but highly critical of the Subban trade, so I'll take the schadenfreude with a side of "I told ya so")

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 1 user Likes Reducetarian's post
07-06-2017, 08:49 AM
(07-06-2017 08:07 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  There are no penguins in Pittsburg, or even close to Pittsburg.

This got me thinking, "How did they come up with that name in the first place? A penguin is an affable, but flightless and somewhat dimwitted bird, something that's unlikely to strike fear in an opponent."

Turns out the name was chosen by the public. Source: https://newsinteractive.post-gazette.com...heir-name/

Quote:“It seemed natural,” committee member Pete Block told the PG. “The penguin lives on ice; hockey players make their living on ice. And then there is the nickname of ‘Big Igloo’ which has become a part of the Civic Arena.”
07-06-2017, 10:38 AM
(07-06-2017 08:49 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  
(07-06-2017 08:07 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  There are no penguins in Pittsburg, or even close to Pittsburg.

This got me thinking, "How did they come up with that name in the first place? A penguin is an affable, but flightless and somewhat dimwitted bird, something that's unlikely to strike fear in an opponent."

Turns out the name was chosen by the public. Source: https://newsinteractive.post-gazette.com...heir-name/

Quote:“It seemed natural,” committee member Pete Block told the PG. “The penguin lives on ice; hockey players make their living on ice. And then there is the nickname of ‘Big Igloo’ which has become a part of the Civic Arena.”

Which, when you think about it is retarded. Igloos are Inuit structures, found in the Arctic, while penguins are found in Antarctica (primarily). So you wouldn't find penguins in an igloo.

Full disclosure: As a Flyers fan, I can't fucking stand the fucking Pittsburgh Penguins and that whiny twit Cindy Crysby.

AngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngry
[+] 1 user Likes Stefan Mayerschoff's post
07-06-2017, 11:26 AM
(07-06-2017 10:38 AM)Stefan Mayerschoff Wrote:  
(07-06-2017 08:49 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  This got me thinking, "How did they come up with that name in the first place? A penguin is an affable, but flightless and somewhat dimwitted bird, something that's unlikely to strike fear in an opponent."

Which, when you think about it is retarded. Igloos are Inuit structures, found in the Arctic, while penguins are found in Antarctica (primarily). So you wouldn't find penguins in an igloo.

Full disclosure: As a Flyers fan, I can't fucking stand the fucking Pittsburgh Penguins and that whiny twit Cindy Crysby.

AngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngry

Penguins don't "live on ice". They live on land, and swim in cold water. Facepalm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
07-06-2017, 12:02 PM
(07-06-2017 08:36 AM)Reducetarian Wrote:  I can't get over how enthusiastic the Nashville fans are ... not what you'd expect in Tennessee, especially given the lack of hockey tradition there.
Must be a "bread and circuses" thang ...

Still, I hope the Preds win, just so that Subban gets a ring and I can watch Marc Bergevin get flayed alive in the media. Again.

(Huge Habs fan here, but highly critical of the Subban trade, so I'll take the schadenfreude with a side of "I told ya so")

Not exactly sure what "bread and circuses" means. Nashville has had the team 20 years and has supported it very well since day 1. If people are surprised by how well we support the team, then welcome to 15 years ago. Yeah sure we've never made it this far and we have a spotlight, but last time I checked every sports teams had fans get more excited the better they do.

And the Pittsburgh media can go fuck themselves, looking down their noses at us "hillbillies" liking hockey, and making idiotic statements about how the atmosphere isn't that impressive. Everybody else remarks at how awesome it is, and these dipshits try to say Columbus has better crowds. GTFO.
10-06-2017, 11:14 AM
This is why I've given up on hockey.

Here's Sidney Crosby bouncing P.K. Subban's head on the ice

Penalty? Two offsetting holding calls. Meanwhile, Crosby pounded Subban's head into the ice no fewer (by my count) than nine times.

And, Crosby again, throwing his water bottle onto the ice. (Starts at 40 seconds into the video.) Penalty? None.

The NHL and its officiating has completely lost credibility. It's almost as bad as the NBA, and that's saying something. http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/nba...r9je1p4e4s

*edited to add info about video*
12-06-2017, 07:43 AM
(10-06-2017 11:14 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  This is why I've given up on hockey.

Here's Sidney Crosby bouncing P.K. Subban's head on the ice

Penalty? Two offsetting holding calls. Meanwhile, Crosby pounded Subban's head into the ice no fewer (by my count) than nine times.

And, Crosby again, throwing his water bottle onto the ice. (Starts at 40 seconds into the video.) Penalty? None.

The NHL and its officiating has completely lost credibility. It's almost as bad as the NBA, and that's saying something. http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/nba...r9je1p4e4s

*edited to add info about video*

Crosby is a little biatch, and is protected by the NHL even more than Gretzky was in his heyday. It's pathetic. I loved it when Darian Hatcher knocked a few of his teeth with a crosscheck to the mouth, but you'd never see that today because the perp would be suspended for like 2 or 3 seasons for daring to touch "the golden boy"
12-06-2017, 08:28 PM
(07-06-2017 08:07 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Let somebody else have it.

Wait. What? Huh