Star Trek

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-02-2016, 04:11 PM
RE: Star Trek
Maybe it's because I'm young, but I can't stand TOS, and I'm a huge Trekkie. I've tried several times, and I can't get past the bad acting. There's a reason TOS only lasted three seasons. But I absolutely love ST2009's reboot of TOS.. incredible. I feel like Abrams screwed it up by reusing a lot of 2009 in ITD, but whatever. Huge VOY fan, with TNG close behind. I watched DS9 but was never into its spiritualism theme. Never did watch ENT because, again, horrendous acting. Plus, the theme song had lyrics, and that's when I knew it was going to be a travesty.

"The danger of religious faith is that it allows otherwise normal human beings to reap the fruits of madness and consider them holy." - Sam Harris
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-02-2016, 04:13 PM
(21-02-2016 08:37 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Didn't care for the originals. I'd been reading SciFi for years before they hit the airwaves, and they were just ... boring.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I tried reading sci fi novels. But there were no authors the caliber of Tolstoy or Dostoyevski or Virgil or even Plautus.

Just boring prose. Okay stories but my word, that writing was dreadful. Even Asimov sucked and was certainly no Dante.

However I can watch Star Trek. It's a freakin' TV show. Not literature. Big Grin

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
21-02-2016, 06:40 PM
(21-02-2016 04:11 PM)philosopher Wrote:  Maybe it's because I'm young, but I can't stand TOS, and I'm a huge Trekkie. I've tried several times, and I can't get past the bad acting. There's a reason TOS only lasted three seasons. But I absolutely love ST2009's reboot of TOS.. incredible. I feel like Abrams screwed it up by reusing a lot of 2009 in ITD, but whatever. Huge VOY fan, with TNG close behind. I watched DS9 but was never into its spiritualism theme. Never did watch ENT because, again, horrendous acting. Plus, the theme song had lyrics, and that's when I knew it was going to be a travesty.

The acting in TOS was pretty campy but nothing is as bad as Frakes and Spiner in TNG (with Burton running a close third). They are just unwatchable for me.

I'm in the middle of watching DS9 again. It would have been better without the religious angle but most of it I enjoy. I can even laugh at Sysko's use of the Shatner style of dramatic acting with lots of clipped, staccato speeches.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
21-02-2016, 06:41 PM
(21-02-2016 04:13 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Even Asimov sucked

Blasphemer!
Drinking Beverage

[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
23-02-2016, 03:05 PM
was never a huge fan of the originals. i grew up watching the next generation and later watched ds9, voyager, and even enterprise. well, half of it anyways. im still pretty torn on which is better between generation and ds9. i think as stand alone episodes generation is better, but ds9 had a better overall storyline. character wise its a tough call though. its basically generations heavyweights of picard, data, and worf vs ds9s quark, odo, garak, and worf. i dunno.
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post
23-02-2016, 03:41 PM
shit i forgot about the badguys. ds9 definitely wins this, due to weyoun alone. gul dukat is pretty cool as well. generations main recurring villians would be galron, q, and the borg i suppose. the borg and q are pretty entertaining, but weyoun still wins.
23-02-2016, 05:14 PM
(23-02-2016 03:41 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  shit i forgot about the badguys. ds9 definitely wins this, due to weyoun alone. gul dukat is pretty cool as well. generations main recurring villians would be galron, q, and the borg i suppose. the borg and q are pretty entertaining, but weyoun still wins.

Yeah, Weyoun is one that you love to hate. Did you know that the actor also plays Brunt (FCA) in the Ferengi episodes and was another alien in an early DS9 episode? He's also Shran in Enterprise plus a couple of other small parts. It's sometimes odd hearing the same voice from such different characters.

23-02-2016, 05:31 PM
(23-02-2016 05:14 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(23-02-2016 03:41 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  shit i forgot about the badguys. ds9 definitely wins this, due to weyoun alone. gul dukat is pretty cool as well. generations main recurring villians would be galron, q, and the borg i suppose. the borg and q are pretty entertaining, but weyoun still wins.

Yeah, Weyoun is one that you love to hate. Did you know that the actor also plays Brunt (FCA) in the Ferengi episodes and was another alien in an early DS9 episode? He's also Shran in Enterprise plus a couple of other small parts. It's sometimes odd hearing the same voice from such different characters.

oh yes. jeffrey combs voice is pretty unique, i can usually tell no matter how much makeup they put on him. its funny because if you see him do an interview his real voice is a lot different. weyoun was such an ass kissing scum bag. funniest moment in ds9 is when worf snaps weyouns neck like a twig... cracked me up. the latest thing ive seen combs in is gotham.
23-02-2016, 07:57 PM
Ah why not
"Whlist investigating a strangely familiar world Captain Kirk falls ill when the Enterprise encounters an apparent duplicate of the Enterprise which is in fact not what it seems—as well as a horde of little things which tries to ingest everything and depletes the shields to 5% and drains the dilithium crystals but their opponent turns out to be vulnerable to a show of emotion and dies, which means everything turns out okay, and the planet is saved in the nick of time. Then, finally Spock says something snappy and they leave at warp factor seven."

"Whlist playing around on the holodeck Commander Data starts de-aging rapidly when the Enterprise encounters a character we never wanted to see again which is in fact not what it seems—as well as something huge which tries to destroy them and depletes the shields to 5%, makes the crew act funny, and threatens to cause a big political ruckus so they do the obvious (eventually) and work out a cunning ruse and so Picard delivers a speech, which means everything turns out okay, and everybody forgets it ever happened. Then, finally Riker says something cliche and they leave at warp factor two."

http://www.bargaintuan.com/startrekplotgenerators.php

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
26-02-2016, 09:22 PM
Just finished this episode, very anti religion. They also took shots at astrology and ghosts.

Get it, Picard! Clap Flex

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 3 users Like Smercury44's post