Star Trek Screw Ups (Lets Get Nerdy)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-05-2013, 09:30 PM
Star Trek Screw Ups (Lets Get Nerdy)
I know I ain't the only Trekkie on the forum from the old Picard v. Kirk debate...that and CTS's avatars, sigs, etc.

Now, a lot of us are fans on various Star Trek incarnations, but I wanna point out some things that annoy me....fuck ups! TNG is my series of choice, so that's the series that I know the fuck ups from the best.

An obvious one...Why do nearly all humanoid aliens they encounter just happen to speak 20th century English?

Picard is a Frenchman with a British accent, WTF?

Why does O'Brien go back and forth between being a LT and a Chief? Furthermore how is he placed in as a Commanding Officer when there are commissioned officers in DS9? Additionally, O'Brien is at one point a Chief Engineer...a position always filled by a commissioned officer.

Where are all the Petty Officers on TNG, never saw one, ever! Not even in passing...they just do not exist. Despite this we have Chiefs, so how do you become a cheif? O'Brien is a Chief most of the time, and Warf's adoptive father is a retired chief.

Also on the Borg, when they are first encountered Riker is amazed that they have integrated machine and man, but we have been implanting computer chips in people for a while now. Not really a scew-up, but bad prediction.

When Q exposes the crew to the Borg prematurely 18 crewmembers die as a consequence. Picard gets a little irritated at the fact, but then concludes that perhaps it is for the best and isn't particularly hostile toward Q afterwards when elsewhere in the show Picard is prepared to go to war over the death of a single crewmember.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Dark Light's post
13-05-2013, 09:36 PM
RE: Star Trek Screw Ups (Lets Get Nerdy)
you're asking too much of a fiction show

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
13-05-2013, 09:47 PM
I can't remember the episode, but it was where the Enterprise has to evacuate a planet that was going to be taken over by an little known alien race as part of a treaty, or something. If they didn't leave, they'd be wiped out by the aliens. That's about the only one I remember with an entire race of non-humanoid species, but even then they were still roughly shaped like us. Their Captain looked like a pile of trashbags as his costume. Oh, and there was that race of nano-bots that took over the Enterprise's computer to survive, but your right; where's the silicon-based life forms? 500 species, and they're all bipedal Undecided

13-05-2013, 09:53 PM
In The Wrath of Kahn, Kahn says to Chekhov, "Mr. Chekhov, I never forget a face." Yet in the episode Space Seed , Chekhov wasn't there; he had yet to join the crew/show.

As far as Picard's overreaction to a single death and underreaction to multiple deaths, that's an annoying plot device seen in just about any action/cop/sci-fi/drama show or movie. You watch the villain shoot 20 nameless cops with little response by our intrepid hero, but when his partner's life is threatened, that's when he truly gives a shit.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
13-05-2013, 10:19 PM
(13-05-2013 09:30 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  An obvious one...Why do nearly all humanoid aliens they encounter just happen to speak 20th century English?

Actually the fuck up with this is not that everything speaks 20th century english they explained that. Universal Translator. The fuck up is every time they have Worf use Klingon and not have it translated.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
14-05-2013, 02:22 AM
You just need to close your eyes and not think about these things. Sure, it's full of small holes like you said, but, hey, what the hell, TOS is so old and looks so poor and cheep, that it is remarkable how there are so little of these mistakes. Also, the way the series started to develop, the authors had to make small changes in the story/set/scene to go forth. I think that one of these things is the Klingons with forehead and Klingons without forehead. After they decided to change the way Klingons look, they had to make up a story about a genetic virus, epidemic and the cure... Originally, Klingons were just like a Caucasian male, painted with brown color. Disturbingly disgusting. Reminds me on old movies when only white folks could be actors, so when they needed a black mans role, they would paint a white man black. Seriously retarded.

Smile

I don't care about it, as long as they make up a good explanation for it later.

[Image: Kor,_2266.jpg]

[Image: 1107638_f520.jpg]

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
02-06-2013, 06:14 PM
(13-05-2013 10:19 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(13-05-2013 09:30 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  An obvious one...Why do nearly all humanoid aliens they encounter just happen to speak 20th century English?

Actually the fuck up with this is not that everything speaks 20th century english they explained that. Universal Translator. The fuck up is every time they have Worf use Klingon and not have it translated.
Yeah, that would be my question. If every language is translated, and Klingons are fairly common in the series so you'd certainly think Klingon would be in the database, then why the fuck do we hear Klingon words? And you get the occasional word in another language, and how does the universal translator know not to translate that one word (like when they say something like, "the [language] word for [something] is [word in that language].

But otherwise, yeah that was explained, especially in the DS9 ep when Quark,Rom, and Nog go to Earth in the past and it malfunctions. i recall some genetically engineered people watching a recording and wanting part played back in the native language mode, also.

Which brings us to: if it's being translated, why do the character's lips match up to the English words? (I know the real answer is so it doesn't look like a badly dubbed Asian film, but still....).

Quote:After they decided to change the way Klingons look, they had to make up a story about a genetic virus, epidemic and the cure... Originally, Klingons were just like a Caucasian male, painted with brown color. Disturbingly disgusting. Reminds me on old movies when only white folks could be actors, so when they needed a black mans role, they would paint a white man black. Seriously retarded.
Yeah, the original klingons. I had almost forgotten about them. I'm glad they changed that. I mean, obviously the prosthetic makeup for the forehead klingons would need a bigger budget and that's why they had humanlike foreheads, but it's still no excuse for painting white people brown.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-06-2013, 06:25 PM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2013 06:28 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
The episode "Darmock" explained the language. Picard was transported to a planet and forced to learn a language of metaphors that wasn't in the "universal translator".

That's why it seems they all speak the same language.

Everyone in the future speaks with a British accent...lol

O'Brien is a LT in formal rank. He is also an engineering transporter "chief". Which sets him apart from Geordi Laforge, who is chief engineer and commander.

The sun rises in the West and the bird shits on the coffeetable.

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
02-06-2013, 06:44 PM
Hello, my name is FC, I am a Trekkie. Blush

All: Helloooo FC!

To establish my creds I have been in the same room as Gene Roddenberry when he gave a lecture at the University I attended. I stood only a few feet away. Heart The way he looked at me...I'll never forget, maybe it was the way I kept interrupting during his presentation...sigh

Anyway, apparently there are hundreds of these bloopers.

http://www.moviemistakes.com/tv3967?viewall=yes

"Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.” ~ Ambrose Bierce
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
02-06-2013, 06:53 PM
Heh! Yes, and considering how many series and movies and how many episodes in each series, it's inevitable that there will be mistakes and things. Still, I think it's fun to look for them.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user