Star Trek Screw Ups (Lets Get Nerdy)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-06-2013, 09:32 PM
RE: Star Trek Screw Ups (Lets Get Nerdy)
*sigh*

We roast the ones we love. Heart Rolleyes Big Grin

I first watched TOS when I was a child - one of my first memories of me and my dad. I would listen to his heart beat to cover up the sound effects of the bridge because of my sensitive hearing. I even remember telling him I noticed his heart beat was slower than mine.

I'm not going to point out a screw up, but instead post a spoiler of scientific (the title of the OP said nerdy) importance for the new movie.

I've been a fan of Jupiter for a long while. The storm that makes Jupiters 'Eye' has been photographed:

[Image: tumblr_m8zaf2FugE1ryf82po1_1280.jpg]

If you look at the inside of the top left underneath the beige cloud, inside the center of the eye, you can see what resembles a dragon head silhouhette facing towards the right. They put the captured image in the movie Star Trek Into Darkness. I knew it the moment I saw it and identified the dragon head. Geek moment was thoroughly enjoyed. Big Grin (I will be editing the image tomorrow to point it out more, just in case you can't see the dragon head)

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
02-06-2013, 10:54 PM
(02-06-2013 06:25 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  The episode "Darmock" explained the language. Picard was transported to a planet and forced to learn a language of metaphors that wasn't in the "universal translator".

That's why it seems they all speak the same language.

Everyone in the future speaks with a British accent...lol

O'Brien is a LT in formal rank. He is also an engineering transporter "chief". Which sets him apart from Geordi Laforge, who is chief engineer and commander.

Hold your horses. The Darmock episode just strengthens my point. The aliens they encounter are speaking in metaphors using examples unknown to the Federation; however it is still understood as English words. Makes no sense. Besides that, Picard was severed from communication from the Enterprise, how is the computer translating? Also in other episodes (aside from Klingon) such as the one with the terrorist fish-like humanoid "ambassadors" the translator apparently fails. You might say that since they were relatively new to the Federation that didn't have it programmed, but there is no excuse for the Klingon.

As for O'Brien, no! At some points in the show his collor devices are different than that of a LT, and other times they are identical. Besides that Worf's father, an enlisted man, and a Chief Petty Officer speaks about being a enlisted man like O'Brien. He jokingly says something like "Can you imagine? Raising an officer?" Furthermore they always use "Chief" to mean a Chief Petty Officer, reflecting the United States Navy's courtesies and customs. You would NEVER call someone like a Chief Engineer "Chief", he/she is "Chief Engineer" or "Cheng". Dodgy

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
02-06-2013, 11:54 PM
(02-06-2013 10:54 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(02-06-2013 06:25 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  The episode "Darmock" explained the language. Picard was transported to a planet and forced to learn a language of metaphors that wasn't in the "universal translator".

That's why it seems they all speak the same language.

Everyone in the future speaks with a British accent...lol

O'Brien is a LT in formal rank. He is also an engineering transporter "chief". Which sets him apart from Geordi Laforge, who is chief engineer and commander.

Hold your horses. The Darmock episode just strengthens my point. The aliens they encounter are speaking in metaphors using examples unknown to the Federation; however it is still understood as English words. Makes no sense. Besides that, Picard was severed from communication from the Enterprise, how is the computer translating? Also in other episodes (aside from Klingon) such as the one with the terrorist fish-like humanoid "ambassadors" the translator apparently fails. You might say that since they were relatively new to the Federation that didn't have it programmed, but there is no excuse for the Klingon.

As for O'Brien, no! At some points in the show his collor devices are different than that of a LT, and other times they are identical. Besides that Worf's father, an enlisted man, and a Chief Petty Officer speaks about being a enlisted man like O'Brien. He jokingly says something like "Can you imagine? Raising an officer?" Furthermore they always use "Chief" to mean a Chief Petty Officer, reflecting the United States Navy's courtesies and customs. You would NEVER call someone like a Chief Engineer "Chief", he/she is "Chief Engineer" or "Cheng". Dodgy

The Darmock epsisode: Universal translator recognized their words, but couldn't discern their meaning because they were metaphors based on their own history. So to Picard it came across as aphasia almost.

Now...I'll have to dig out my books and star trek trading cards to solve the obrien issue. Big Grin

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...