Star Trek and Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-07-2011, 12:17 PM
Star Trek and Atheism
Since Star Trek is back on Netflix my wife and I are watching the TNG and Voyager.

I completely forgot how much atheism and/or secularist ideals this show produces.

We were watching an recent Voyager episode called "Mortal Coil." Neelix gets killed and comes back to life with nanoprobes. He was an religious man who believed in a tree and his family will be there when he dies. After coming back from the dead. He realizes that nothing happened. That there was no tree or family members to meet him. All there was is just nothing.

We went on a vision quest to find answers. An metal image of his sister told him that an afterlife is an LIE and he knows what he must do. Well Neelix mistook it an believe that he must kill him self because life is pointless now because of no afterlife. Yet, he has an godchild he loves and that is more important than everything. Neelix gave up on faith and his religion to enjoy the rest of his life with the ones he loved.

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2011, 01:08 PM

RE: Star Trek and Atheism
Wasn't there an episode of the original series where they encountered one of the Greek gods (I think it was Apollo), or at least an alien pretending to be one of them?

Of course TNG and DS9 both had appearances by Q, a god-like entity who was more trouble than savior. I see the religions in the Star Trek universe secretly being ran by the Ferengi though, there's a lot of money to be made.
Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2011, 04:22 PM
Well, hey! It's science-fiction, after all. If our sf writers can't imagine a rational future, who can?

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
06-07-2011, 02:56 AM
Star Trek rules!!

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
06-07-2011, 07:59 AM
One of the movies was about Spock's brother hijacking the Enterprise to take them to the planet where God lives. God turned out to be a fraud.
08-07-2011, 12:28 AM
Yup. I saw that part. 'What does God need with a spaceship?'

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
08-07-2011, 03:37 AM
Yes, it was beautiful how Picard has unmasked "God" as a vicious alien... Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
08-07-2011, 07:03 AM
(06-07-2011 07:59 AM)gamutman Wrote:  One of the movies was about Spock's brother hijacking the Enterprise to take them to the planet where God lives. God turned out to be a fraud.

That was "Star Trek III: The Search For Plot". That movie sucked.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
08-07-2011, 12:34 PM
(08-07-2011 07:03 AM)BnW Wrote:  
(06-07-2011 07:59 AM)gamutman Wrote:  One of the movies was about Spock's brother hijacking the Enterprise to take them to the planet where God lives. God turned out to be a fraud.

That was "Star Trek III: The Search For Plot". That movie sucked.

It was actually V and not III.

Why won't God heal amputees?
08-07-2011, 12:45 PM
Just now getting into Star Trek. Starting off with TNG and I am in Season 2. I love the entire concept of Data. He alone is an example of atheistic tendencies within Star Trek. Man can produce conscious sentient life without the need for supernatural interference. Data is proof that life does not require super natural processes to exist.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley