Star Trek and Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-07-2011, 02:11 PM
RE: Star Trek and Atheism
(08-07-2011 12:34 PM)The Holy Goat Wrote:  
(08-07-2011 07:03 AM)BnW Wrote:  
(06-07-2011 07:59 AM)gamutman Wrote:  One of the movies was about Spock's brother hijacking the Enterprise to take them to the planet where God lives. God turned out to be a fraud.

That was "Star Trek III: The Search For Plot". That movie sucked.

It was actually V and not III.

Right. But, III sucked too so, really, same difference. Basically, the even numbered movies were good and the odd numbered movies were horrid.

Anyway, I believe Gene Roddenberry was an atheist but he definitely used religious imagery in the original show. Someone mentioned the episode with Apollo. There was also one with the Roman Empire where Christianity was spreading due to a Christ figure. So, Gene went both ways in the 1960s when it came to religion.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-07-2011, 03:40 AM
You can tell all you want, I loved every movie, even the first one. Some are better, some are good, but non is bad for me. It is the same with the series, I love every episode. TNG is my favorite, but there is something special with Kirk and Spock. Maybe it is because TNG does not have a captain who has slept with half of the galaxy, almost in every episode some other female (and sometimes who knows what genre) creature. And TNG also does not have Montgomery "Scotty" Scott. The only thing TOS does not have is Data, and he is the best character I have ever seen in all the movies and series. At the end of Star Trek Nemesis I was full of tears, I didn't do that for any other character... Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
09-07-2011, 01:53 PM
(09-07-2011 03:40 AM)Filox Wrote:  You can tell all you want, I loved every movie, even the first one. Some are better, some are good, but non is bad for me. It is the same with the series, I love every episode. TNG is my favorite, but there is something special with Kirk and Spock. Maybe it is because TNG does not have a captain who has slept with half of the galaxy, almost in every episode some other female (and sometimes who knows what genre) creature. And TNG also does not have Montgomery "Scotty" Scott. The only thing TOS does not have is Data, and he is the best character I have ever seen in all the movies and series. At the end of Star Trek Nemesis I was full of tears, I didn't do that for any other character... Smile
TNG has a first mate who sleeps with anything that moves.
09-07-2011, 05:29 PM
Yay for Ryker and the androgynous being who desires to be his woman!! =p

My favorite of the Star Treks is actually generally the least liked. Enterprise while not faithful to the story continuum presented in the others carries the anthropological aspects of the series well past TNG (which already had a lot of them). Brent Spiner (data) is always going to be considered the best character/actor for star trek, his other parts are usually interesting enough as well. Seeing him play people who actually have emotions =p

I never really liked the first series though, because the ideas of the captain go so wholeheartedly against the futuristic ideas the federation has. Kirk is the conservative captain in a time period where that sort of conservatism shouldn't even exist =p All the other characters were perfectly enjoyable but for me he brought the series down. I liked the movies, all of them =p Star trek has always been one of the bridges for me of fiction and real ideas. And it was one of the first stories to really interest me in learning from television =p

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
09-07-2011, 06:16 PM
I really don't like the original series but for some reason I can still watch it if it's on. TNG is my favorite. I like jean-luc the best followed by worf. I remember an episode with moriarty where he "comes alive" and they talk about the meaning of life and god in it. Man I want a holideck right now.
I also liked some of deep space nine mostly for worf and the ferrengis. Hate. Voyager. Hate enterprise sorry quantum leap but you suck balls as a captain and the hot Vulcan has an outty. Puke out of my mouth.
I like the original series movies better than tngs because thy felt more like movies than the newer ones. However ol' jj has gone and shook stuff up and I think I like it. Maybe he can have them meet god in one of the new movies.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-07-2011, 10:58 PM
(09-07-2011 06:16 PM)lucradis Wrote:  I really don't like the original series but for some reason I can still watch it if it's on. TNG is my favorite. I like jean-luc the best followed by worf. I remember an episode with moriarty where he "comes alive" and they talk about the meaning of life and god in it. Man I want a holideck right now.
I also liked some of deep space nine mostly for worf and the ferrengis. Hate. Voyager. Hate enterprise sorry quantum leap but you suck balls as a captain and the hot Vulcan has an outty. Puke out of my mouth.
I like the original series movies better than tngs because thy felt more like movies than the newer ones. However ol' jj has gone and shook stuff up and I think I like it. Maybe he can have them meet god in one of the new movies.

So says Lucradis of Borg.

Sorry, it was just so there i had to go to it

I always found DS9 to be too heavy on the religious themes. The whole wormhole, spiritual crap brought the show down for me. I did like that all of the religious philosophies of that civilization were basically debunked thru the course of the show tho.
10-07-2011, 07:30 PM
Firstly, the borg are awesome.

[Image: 128833556234717429.jpg]

Secondly I agree, very religiously over saturated. I only really liked the episodes that focused on the ferengi and worf.

http://www.sjtrek.com/trek/rules/

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-07-2011, 05:56 AM
I remember when watching TNG (when it was first televised) being so impressed by it's fearlessly liberal, atheistic depiction of the future. Although Jean-Luc and crew are tolerant of other species' beliefs and traditions, you never saw him leading the crew in prayer or appealing to God for help in even the most desperate of circumstances.

I, too, was a fan of Voyager- and T'Pol's outie didn't bother me one bit. Hottest Star Trek character ever. I remember the episode when she goes into heat with particular fondness....

The way to see by Faith, is to shut the eye of Reason. - Ben Franklin