Star Trek.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-10-2014, 06:47 PM
Star RE: Star Trek.
I've literally been watching Star Trek since before I can remember. Which is actually less impressive than it sounds. My mum put on late showings of Next Gen when I couldn't sleep at night and we apparently watched VCR's of The Original Series at my Uncle's place until somebody stole the tapes.

I didn't remember any of that and hadn't looked into any of it until I was disappointed in how bad the reboot movie is and wondered if the old stuff was any better. I binged through most of The Original Series during the next summer holiday and slowly worked my way through the rest of the series over the next several years.
(28-10-2014 05:31 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  
(28-10-2014 05:13 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Where would a person start if they've never seen an episode? Blush

ST NG Season 1 Episode 1. After that series, do the original then the others. Watch movies in between. Thumbsup
I'd definitely recommend starting with Next Gen. It more than anything in TOS shaped what people think of as Star Trek. Just not with season one. I don't think early Next Gen has aged very well and honestly, there's a lot of bad stuff there.

Start with Season Three, it's better paced and it gets you too the really fantastic stuff faster. Jump back too Seasons One and Two after the first couple of episodes of Season Four or whenever you feel like wanting to throttle something.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-10-2014, 06:52 PM
RE: Star Trek.
(28-10-2014 06:42 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(28-10-2014 05:42 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  It's winter- pop the popcorn and half a glass of shiraz. You're set! Ha ha.

Just try the first season and see how the boot fits. Shy

Give it til season 3. First few seasons on TNG were hit and miss.

(28-10-2014 06:47 PM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  I've literally been watching Star Trek since before I can remember. Which is actually less impressive than it sounds. My mum put on late showings of Next Gen when I couldn't sleep at night and we apparently watched VCR's of The Original Series at my Uncle's place until somebody stole the tapes.

I didn't remember any of that and hadn't looked into any of it until I was disappointed in how bad the reboot movie is and wondered if the old stuff was any better. I binged through most of The Original Series during the next summer holiday and slowly worked my way through the rest of the series over the next several years.
(28-10-2014 05:31 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  ST NG Season 1 Episode 1. After that series, do the original then the others. Watch movies in between. Thumbsup
I'd definitely recommend starting with Next Gen. It more than anything in TOS shaped what people think of as Star Trek. Just not with season one. I don't think early Next Gen has aged very well and honestly, there's a lot of bad stuff there.

Start with Season Three, it's better paced and it gets you too the really fantastic stuff faster. Jump back too Seasons One and Two after the first couple of episodes of Season Four or whenever you feel like wanting to throttle something.

Shocking Sinners!
28-10-2014, 06:54 PM
(28-10-2014 06:47 PM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  and we apparently watched VCR's of The Original Series at my Uncle's place until somebody stole the tapes.

Awww, this gave me uncle memories! My uncle had a (captains) chair that was a 50's style with a flat arm rest that he cut out and placed his remote for the TV in for his controls. Ultimate NERD. Ha ha. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
28-10-2014, 07:02 PM
(28-10-2014 01:10 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Thats right Star Trek. Let's talk about Star Trek. Do you like it? What do you get from it? And all the other questions people might ask...

The first series sucked and was full of what was either really bad or intentionally overly hammy acting.

Next Generation was better. Still a tad on the ham side though.

Voyager was good, I think I enjoyed NG a bit more, but it was solid and certainly looked better.

DS9; I liked DS9, but I found it went too often into the Prophet nonsense.

Have no touched the new series... Probably never will.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
28-10-2014, 07:45 PM (This post was last modified: 28-10-2014 07:50 PM by Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue.)
If I'm a sinner, Free Thought is, well, not the Antichrist. Just some kinda satanist. (Probably not the first time he or the non-appellated term "free thought" has been called that.)
(28-10-2014 06:54 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  
(28-10-2014 06:47 PM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  and we apparently watched VCR's of The Original Series at my Uncle's place until somebody stole the tapes.

Awww, this gave me uncle memories! My uncle had a (captains) chair that was a 50's style with a flat arm rest that he cut out and placed his remote for the TV in for his controls. Ultimate NERD. Ha ha. Heart
Goddamn that's awesome. Please tell me it was on a dais and it dominated the room?
(28-10-2014 07:02 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(28-10-2014 01:10 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Thats right Star Trek. Let's talk about Star Trek. Do you like it? What do you get from it? And all the other questions people might ask...

[snip]

DS9; I liked DS9, but I found it went too often into the Prophet nonsense.

Have no touched the new series... Probably never will.
I think your well served by pretending Enterprise doesn't exist but Deep Space Nine gets a bad rap. Don't get me wrong; I'm not a particularly big fan but it's got solid character work and though it's ever quite as good as NG or TOS it's much more consistent. I've got better odds of turning on a random DS9 episode and it being good than any other Trek.
[+] 2 users Like Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue's post
28-10-2014, 08:37 PM
The original series was groundbreaking with a multi-racial and multi-life form crew.
Campy? sometimes. Overacted? can you say William Shatner. Entertaining? Hell yes!

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
29-10-2014, 03:20 AM
I didn't bother watching DS9 the first time. I didn't get past the first series. I did notice later on that it had perked up a bit but couldn't be bothered catching up with it. I later watched it on my husband's recommendations and was glad that I did.

All the different Star Treks are better when you go through them again I find, especially Enterprise. The problem with Enterprise is that although they did start off with bare bones technology they got up to speed too fast. Season 3 with the Xindy attack was wearisome the first time but when I watched a couple of episodes a night I could really get into it.

I like the next generation although always got bored with the holodeck episodes, but they stopped doing those so much after the first couple of seasons. My favourite though is Voyager. It was good to go through the whole series making sure to watch each one. The last episode was deeply dissatisfying though. It lacked the personal touch with the crew finally meeting up with other people from Earth.

Janeway is the best captain evah! Typical response to something going wrong ... I'll blow the ship up! Nutcase!
29-10-2014, 05:45 AM
I have a question about Star Trek that I thought maybe I might get an answer about here: why are the consoles typically found on ships made of explodium?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
29-10-2014, 05:54 AM
(29-10-2014 05:45 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I have a question about Star Trek that I thought maybe I might get an answer about here: why are the consoles typically found on ships made of explodium?

Because they couldn't get any unobtanium.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
29-10-2014, 06:40 AM (This post was last modified: 29-10-2014 06:44 AM by Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue.)
(29-10-2014 05:45 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I have a question about Star Trek that I thought maybe I might get an answer about here: why are the consoles typically found on ships made of explodium?
Watsonian: Well in real life the console on some (WW2 era) aircraft would catch alight or explode because they routed the liquid it was measuring through the cockpit, the fuel gauge would just be a pressure valve attached to the tank, so when the plane gets hit *boom* everything's on fire.

They use a similar explanation on Trek. A plasma conduit overloads when the ship is damaged and that causes the explosion. Except:
Plasma explosions don't look like that and that would realistically kill the entire bridge.
Why on earth would anybody design a ship that way when they can measure whatever the conduit is for remotely?

(My pet theory is that there's enough social pressure for perfection going on in the Federation that some members of the bridge crew booby trap their workstation as suicide attempts. That's why it never happens when one of the main crew is on the blast radius and why the console is operable afterwards. They're mostly stable. The Captains keep it quiet because the higher ups don't want to address the problem. (Hence why Troi sucks at her job so much.) that way they can rotate and motivate as many workers as possible.

You don't have to work in the Federation. People choose to work because they enjoy it. So rapidly advancing up the hierarchy is a good way to get as many people to work as possible. Hence stimulating what would otherwise be a subsistence economy. This also explains why the crew on the Flagship is as insanely technically proficient as the crew of some backwater space station and a relatively minor research vessel. (Able to pull together extremely complicated, theoretical science experiments in their spare time, as a hobby.) Everybody gets rotated to their positions more or less at random and the vast majority of scientists and doctors and captains are average.

And that's why there's such a high death rate on the other, non-protagonist focused, ships. (At least one completely destroyed ship a season. That's nuts.) The Higher Ups are trying to clear the most desirable positions faster to help incentivize all the genius level janitors and low level technicians.)

Doyilist: Because the studio executives didn't believe the production crew when they said "We can make this dramatic without pyrotechnics" and told them to do it during filming on TOS and it stuck with the other series.
[+] 2 users Like Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue's post