Star Trek.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-10-2014, 10:36 AM
RE: Star Trek.
For those who have asked where to start with watching I'd suggest you start at the beginning. There is a podcast called Mission Log where they pick apart each episode. I think that would be a great companion for a first time watcher.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-10-2014, 11:41 AM
(30-10-2014 10:36 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  For those who have asked where to start with watching I'd suggest you start at the beginning.

Good idea! Watch them in the following order:
  • Enterprise.
  • The two new films from JJ Abrahms.
  • The original series
  • Star Trek films until you get to Star Trek generations (don't watch this)
  • Start watching the next generation (TNG)
  • Watch the film Star Trek generations
  • When you get to season 6 of TNG, start watching Deep Space 9 at the same time.
  • When you get to season 8 of TNG, start watching Voyager in unison as well.
  • Continue watching Star Trek films from First Contact onwards
  • Then watch the two new films from JJ Abrahms again where old Spock goes back in time.
30-10-2014, 12:16 PM
(30-10-2014 11:41 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(30-10-2014 10:36 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  For those who have asked where to start with watching I'd suggest you start at the beginning.

Good idea! Watch them in the following order:
  • Enterprise.
  • The original series
  • When you get to season 6 of TNG, start watching Deep Space 9 at the same time.
  • Then watch the two new films from JJ Abrahms again where old Spock goes back in time.

Correction:
  • The original series
  • Films 2, 3, 4, and 6
  • (optional - the animated series)
  • TNG
  • DS9
  • First Contact
  • Voyager
  • Enterprise seasons 3 and 4

Burn the Abrams movies in a bonfire.

"Canon" order makes little enough sense already; production order makes far more meta-narrative sense if you want to see what the franchise(s) tried to do.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
30-10-2014, 12:27 PM
(30-10-2014 12:16 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(30-10-2014 11:41 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Good idea! Watch them in the following order:
  • Enterprise.
  • The original series

Correction:
  • The original series
  • Films 2, 3, 4, and 6
  • TNG
  • DS9
  • First Contact
  • Voyager

"Canon" order makes little enough sense already; production order makes far more meta-narrative sense if you want to see what the franchise(s) tried to do.

Hey Star Trek V was the one where they fought God.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
30-10-2014, 12:40 PM
(30-10-2014 12:27 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(30-10-2014 12:16 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Correction:
  • The original series
  • Films 2, 3, 4, and 6
  • TNG
  • DS9
  • First Contact
  • Voyager

Hey Star Trek V was the one where they fought God.

Yes, but it is also a terrible movie. So there's that.

[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
30-10-2014, 01:34 PM
(30-10-2014 12:40 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(30-10-2014 12:27 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Hey Star Trek V was the one where they fought God.

Yes, but it is also a terrible movie. So there's that.

I liked V it was better than most of the Next Gen movies, while not being as good as the best of the OS ones. It was not terrible 1 was terrible, Nemesis was terrible, V was merely average.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
30-10-2014, 01:50 PM
(30-10-2014 01:34 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(30-10-2014 12:40 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Yes, but it is also a terrible movie. So there's that.

I liked V it was better than most of the Next Gen movies, while not being as good as the best of the OS ones. It was not terrible 1 was terrible, Nemesis was terrible, V was merely average.

Yeah well, V also had that part where Nichelle Nichols dances half naked way past the time where she was attractive, and it has the three titted barstripper. And if I'm not mistaken, the rather pointless row row your boat sing along's with Kirk, Spock and McCoy. It is pretty cheesy.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
30-10-2014, 01:58 PM
IMO though, of all the movies, Star Trek Insurrection is really fucking stupid. Really the result of a very, very shitty script. The Abrahms movies don't count into for me; it's not Star Trek (and really, the lens flares really fucking hurt when they pop up, what the fuck was he thinking).

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
30-10-2014, 02:01 PM
(30-10-2014 01:58 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  IMO though, of all the movies, Star Trek Insurrection is really fucking stupid. Really the result of a very, very shitty script. The Abrahms movies don't count into for me; it's not Star Trek (and really, the lens flares really fucking hurt when they pop up, what the fuck was he thinking).

Star Trek 2-6 are all worth watching, though admittedly 3 & 5 are nowhere near as good as 2 & 4. 6 wraps up the original Star Trek and should be seen but as far as the movies go it is another meh.

30-10-2014, 02:16 PM
(30-10-2014 02:01 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(30-10-2014 01:58 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  IMO though, of all the movies, Star Trek Insurrection is really fucking stupid. Really the result of a very, very shitty script. The Abrahms movies don't count into for me; it's not Star Trek (and really, the lens flares really fucking hurt when they pop up, what the fuck was he thinking).

Star Trek 2-6 are all worth watching, though admittedly 3 & 5 are nowhere near as good as 2 & 4. 6 wraps up the original Star Trek and should be seen but as far as the movies go it is another meh.

6 is the second-best of the lot.
(and recalling what I said about production order it's very much an interesting and dare I say important artifact of its time and place)

Skip 5. It's awful. Doesn't fail as badly, perhaps, but it fails more thoroughly; Generations or Insurrection with a competent re-written script could go from 1 to 3 stars, easy, but 5 is always and forever at best a 2.