Star Trek.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-11-2014, 08:22 AM
RE: Star Trek.
Does anyone have a favorite episode?
For me it's gotta be the TOS episode A Piece Of The Action. That's the mob planet episode. It isn't the deepest episode but it entertains the fuck outta me. I light up every time I see it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-11-2014, 08:33 AM
(01-11-2014 08:22 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Does anyone have a favorite episode?
For me it's gotta be the TOS episode A Piece Of The Action. That's the mob planet episode. It isn't the deepest episode but it entertains the fuck outta me. I light up every time I see it.

TOS: The Trouble With Tribbles
TNG:The Inner Light
DS9: Trials and Tribble-ations

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
01-11-2014, 09:03 AM
At the risk of being required to turn in my geek card...

TOS - enjoyed it way back in the day; a little hard to watch now because of the camp factor and ponderous morality

TNG - liked the concept but had way too many unlikeable characters. Riker was just an obnoxious jackass; the LaForge character was weak; Data was badly written and even more badly acted; Wesley Crusher needed to die early on

Voyager - I've watched this a few times and mostly like it; Harry Kim is a very weak character and the Doctor isn't very believable (they never could keep the program distinct from the projection)

Enterprise - Hated it when I first saw it but I tried it again and got into it; a little campy but a lot of it was just trying to have fun with the fans and when I took it in that spirit it was enjoyable

DS9 - would have been better if they'd kept up the gods vs wormhole aliens perspective; Cisco definitely went to the Shatner school of overacting and was hard to take some times, especially when he got angry

TAS - never saw it

Never got into the movies; First Contact, Voyage Home, Wrath of Khan, and Undiscovered Country were OK but I can take them or leave them. The rest of the older movies I either didn't see or they didn't leave enough of an impression to remember them. I saw the first of the new movies and won't see any more of them. I have the same objection as I have to what Jackson did with Lord of the Rings: if you want to write a new story then do that but if you are going to film an existing story then don't rewrite it. Some shortcuts have to be taken but don't go re-arranging major events and adding new subplots. I'm watching the movie because I liked the original story. Freaking irritates me no end.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
01-11-2014, 09:06 AM
My favourite Voyager episode is also Kate Mulgrew's, Counterpoint (Season Five). I love the use of Tchaikovsky's 4th symphony.

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/star-trek/22...r-episodes

Quote:Voyager is helping a group of telepaths, along with their own Vulcan crewmembers, to escape a group of telepath-hating Space Nazis. When their handsome Captain defects to Voyager, he and Janeway bond over a love of Earth’s classical music, but underneath it they’re engaged in a battle of wits that only one can win. Kate Mulgrew’s favourite episode is a great outing for Captain Janeway, exploring both her personal life (Kashyk is by far her most interesting love interest outside of Chakotay) and showing just why she’s the Captain. Her heart may be breaking, but innocent telepaths are safe from Space Nazis while she’s around.

Best bit: Janeway wins a bittersweet victory.

Quotable: "For what it’s worth, you made a tempting offer" (Kashyk to Janeway)
01-11-2014, 10:19 AM
(01-11-2014 09:06 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  My favourite Voyager episode is also Kate Mulgrew's, Counterpoint (Season Five). I love the use of Tchaikovsky's 4th symphony.

Quote:Voyager is helping a group of telepaths, along with their own Vulcan crewmembers, to escape a group of telepath-hating Space Nazis. When their handsome Captain defects to Voyager, he and Janeway bond over a love of Earth’s classical music, but underneath it they’re engaged in a battle of wits that only one can win. Kate Mulgrew’s favourite episode is a great outing for Captain Janeway, exploring both her personal life (Kashyk is by far her most interesting love interest outside of Chakotay) and showing just why she’s the Captain. Her heart may be breaking, but innocent telepaths are safe from Space Nazis while she’s around.

Best bit: Janeway wins a bittersweet victory.

Quotable: "For what it’s worth, you made a tempting offer" (Kashyk to Janeway)
As much as I thought Voyager was generally a shitty show that was a good episode.
01-11-2014, 10:22 AM
(01-11-2014 10:19 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 09:06 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  My favourite Voyager episode is also Kate Mulgrew's, Counterpoint (Season Five). I love the use of Tchaikovsky's 4th symphony.

As much as I thought Voyager was generally a shitty show that was a good episode.

I thought Voyager was a solid OK never really great never really horrible, tended to be kind of boring from time to time. The characters were not very memorable the stories were mostly forgettable. It was not the worst thing you could be watching on television but it was one of the least likable Trek series. Take away 7of9 and that show loses most of it's fan base.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
01-11-2014, 10:31 AM
(01-11-2014 09:03 AM)unfogged Wrote:  At the risk of being required to turn in my geek card...

TOS - enjoyed it way back in the day; a little hard to watch now because of the camp factor and ponderous morality

TNG - liked the concept but had way too many unlikeable characters. Riker was just an obnoxious jackass; the LaForge character was weak; Data was badly written and even more badly acted; Wesley Crusher needed to die early on

Voyager - I've watched this a few times and mostly like it; Harry Kim is a very weak character and the Doctor isn't very believable (they never could keep the program distinct from the projection)

Enterprise - Hated it when I first saw it but I tried it again and got into it; a little campy but a lot of it was just trying to have fun with the fans and when I took it in that spirit it was enjoyable

DS9 - would have been better if they'd kept up the gods vs wormhole aliens perspective; Cisco definitely went to the Shatner school of overacting and was hard to take some times, especially when he got angry

TAS - never saw it

Never got into the movies; First Contact, Voyage Home, Wrath of Khan, and Undiscovered Country were OK but I can take them or leave them. The rest of the older movies I either didn't see or they didn't leave enough of an impression to remember them. I saw the first of the new movies and won't see any more of them. I have the same objection as I have to what Jackson did with Lord of the Rings: if you want to write a new story then do that but if you are going to film an existing story then don't rewrite it. Some shortcuts have to be taken but don't go re-arranging major events and adding new subplots. I'm watching the movie because I liked the original story. Freaking irritates me no end.
For TOS. Aside from the sexism the morality was pretty solid. Yes it's a little campy.
TNG. I thought Riker wea ok. Liked Data to although I agree that sometimes that missed the spot on him a few times. LaForge, Wesley Crusher, yup. Not good at all. But you forgot Troy, fuck I hated her. On the bright side the did have the wisdom to kill off Tasha Yar.
Emterprise. I liked it for pretty much the same reason. Lots of nods for the fans. Didn't really care for the whole Xindi thing though.
Voyager. It's worse than you say.
DS9. Sisko overacts? Yup. And I like it. His character reminds me of Kirk. Crappy show though. Or that's how I remember it.
As for TAS. It's pretty well the same as TOS. Just childish. But there are a few interesting episodes.
01-11-2014, 10:32 AM
(01-11-2014 08:33 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 08:22 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Does anyone have a favorite episode?

TOS: The Trouble With Tribbles
TNG:The Inner Light
DS9: Trials and Tribble-ations

All very good episodes.
01-11-2014, 10:34 AM
(01-11-2014 10:22 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 10:19 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  As much as I thought Voyager was generally a shitty show that was a good episode.

I thought Voyager was a solid OK never really great never really horrible, tended to be kind of boring from time to time. The characters were not very memorable the stories were mostly forgettable. It was not the worst thing you could be watching on television but it was one of the least likable Trek series. Take away 7of9 and that show loses most of it's fan base.

A reasonable assessment. Although "a solid OK" is a little to much credit..
I will admit though that Voyager had a few real good episodes.
01-11-2014, 12:38 PM
(01-11-2014 10:31 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  But you forgot Troy, fuck I hated her.

The only thing I didn't like about her character was that she had no business being on the bridge all the time. She's the ship's counselor, not a bridge officer.

Quote:On the bright side the did have the wisdom to kill off Tasha Yar.

I would have kept her and killed Riker. Slowly.

Quote:Didn't really care for the whole Xindi thing though.

It went on too long. It was also a ridiculous setup -- who tests a prototype weapon by deploying it to an unsuspecting target thereby giving them not only warning but potentially information on the weapon itself? The Xindi weren't stupid enough to do that.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP