Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-05-2017, 09:42 PM
Star Wars - 40 years ago
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-histo...s-released

May
View Calendar
This Day in History

I heard about this on the radio today. The first (or fourth) Star Wars was released.

It took nearly a year to make it to small town Iowa. I am not a science fiction fan but there was so much hype that I went to see the movie...it was my first night out after having my oldest child.

Even though SciFi isn't my thing, I remember being stunned by the visuals and the sounds, as well as the story. I was totally entertained by the movie.

Forty years ago!

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Anjele's post
26-05-2017, 06:37 AM
RE: Star Wars - 40 years ago
Episode 4 - A New Hope, as it's become to be known, (I believe it was just released as "Star Wars" back in the day, is that right), is a quality piece of cinema. As a young lad I used to think this one was a bit more "boring" than Empire or Return, but as I got older I begun to appreciate the bigger things like special effects (which were insane for the time, and still hold up) and subtle little things that everybody does, add that together with a fairly straight forward story and quality actors/actress', the musical score, and it really is a good movie to watch.

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
I now sell T-Shirts Here! Please Check it out Thumbsup
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like OakTree500's post
26-05-2017, 07:25 AM
(25-05-2017 09:42 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Even though SciFi isn't my thing, I remember being stunned by the visuals and the sounds, as well as the story. I was totally entertained by the movie.

Eyecandy can make me forgive many sins. Cool
26-05-2017, 05:36 PM
I remember standing in a long line to see it for the first time at a little two-screen movie theater. I was ten years old and it was a special kind of movie magic I experienced.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
29-05-2017, 07:21 PM
[Image: DA_sOdLUAAIvAHZ.jpg:large]

I... have never actually seen any of them.

Okay, I'll go fetch the smelling salts

[Image: fw_gonewiththewind-gif.gif?w=610]

Tried as an adult, gave up about ten minutes in Rolleyes

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
29-05-2017, 08:15 PM
As we're sharing personal experiences...

A few threads of my forming brain-forum collided to make this a disappointing experience.

A couple of years earlier (around the age of 10) I was dealing with a death moment and was drawing the conclusion that the god-hypothesis was bollocks.

I'd 'borrowed' a book by Jung from the local WHSmith's and was failing to grasp it in its entirety but picked up on the idea of the hero archetype and begun to see myths (incl. jesus) in this category.

I'd spent the hot summers of '75 and '76 in the Derbyshire Dales failing to find god at church camp... which also gave me some practice in script-writing - subversive parodies of biblical stories (The Flood as a BBC news report, The Exodus from the perspective of the Egyptians etc.) for the evening group activities.

I had discovered the Epicureans and liked what they had to offer and the lyrics of John Lennon's Imagine had become imprinted in my subconscious.

As Anj said, the hype was something very new. I'd never witnessed anything like it before. My anti-sci-fi (she loathed Star Trek) mother was cynical to the point of Wildean wit ... so I had to go see it.

And I was disappoint.

The hero archetype writ large;
The force? Oh, come on!;
The dire script ... was it a parody?;
The nauseating ending Rainbow Vomit

But Sir Alec was cool ... the nomadic ascetic who had discovered the meaning of life the universe and everything (the following year Douglas Adams was to drive the final nail into the coffin of christianity) ... yes, Sir Alec was a frood who knew where his towel was. And they killed him off! The only interesting character - dead. Bloody marvelous.

Needless to say I've never been back for more.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
29-05-2017, 08:30 PM
When the original Star Wars made it to where I was living at the time there was one theater in town with one screen. I had spent the previous six months tending to a colicky baby pretty much without a break and certainly without much sleep.

A couple of hours with no one screaming at me or throwing up on me was wonderful in and of itself.

I have probably seen parts of the next two movies that were released but not in the theater.

I haven't seen any parts of the other ones other than trailers on TV.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
30-05-2017, 12:00 AM
(29-05-2017 08:15 PM)DLJ Wrote:  The hero archetype writ large;

The reason it's an archetype is because people like that kind of story Drinking Beverage I mean fuck, you wouldn't read the Iliad and The Odyssey if it was about some mundane people who struggled with money, had fights with their partners, ultimately patched up and went through life with a vague feeling of dissatisfaction getting older and a bit more grumpy. The whole reason it's a gripping tale is the flawed hero, the glamour of war etc.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
30-05-2017, 03:41 AM
(30-05-2017 12:00 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(29-05-2017 08:15 PM)DLJ Wrote:  The hero archetype writ large;

The reason it's an archetype is because people like that kind of story Drinking Beverage I mean fuck, you wouldn't read the Iliad and The Odyssey if it was about some mundane people who struggled with money, had fights with their partners, ultimately patched up and went through life with a vague feeling of dissatisfaction getting older and a bit more grumpy. The whole reason it's a gripping tale is the flawed hero, the glamour of war etc.

I get that that kinda thing sells to the masses (it must do because it keeps getting sold). It's just one of those things (like Jesus or comic superheroes and super villains or gossip, jewelry, royalty, status etc.) for which I have never quite understood the appeal.

The hero, for me, in Lord of The Rings was not Aragorn or Frodo, it was Sam. Heroes (equally flawed) like George Smiley, Arthur Dent or Winston Smith are the ones I remember, not the glory seekers.

It's probably a middle-child thing and not worth worrying over.

Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
30-05-2017, 07:06 AM
(30-05-2017 03:41 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(30-05-2017 12:00 AM)morondog Wrote:  The reason it's an archetype is because people like that kind of story Drinking Beverage I mean fuck, you wouldn't read the Iliad and The Odyssey if it was about some mundane people who struggled with money, had fights with their partners, ultimately patched up and went through life with a vague feeling of dissatisfaction getting older and a bit more grumpy. The whole reason it's a gripping tale is the flawed hero, the glamour of war etc.

I get that that kinda thing sells to the masses (it must do because it keep getting sold). It's just one of those things (like Jesus or comic superheroes and super villains or gossip, jewelry, royalty, status etc.) for which I have never quite understood the appeal.

The hero, for me, in Lord of The Rings was not Aragorn or Frodo, it was Sam. Heroes (equally flawed) like George Smiley, Arthur Dent or Winston Smith are the ones I remember, not the glory seekers.

It's probably a middle-child thing and not worth worrying over.

Big Grin

I'm also a middle child Tongue Sam was alright. Frodo was a goddamn wuss. Aragorn was OK but not that interesting. Well, that's going by the movies. Of course in the books they're all kinda awesome. Hate the ending in the books though. You're not supposed to explicitly make your heroes all get old and die. That was kak depressing. Fuck you Tolkien, fuck you. Fucken non-archetype-conforming dick.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post