Stargate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-06-2017, 07:12 AM
Stargate
In the TV series Stargate, a character named Daniel ascends to a higher plane of existence. In this form he can apparently transport himself anywhere in the Galaxy and has a fair amount of power at his disposal.

He has one mentor in this higher plane who tells him that it's forbidden to use his power to interfere in the affairs of the denizens of other planets.

To do so would incur the wrath of "The Others", who are apparently much higher in power.

Daniel takes it on faith that "the others" even exist.
He also takes everything his mentor says on faith.
He has no good reason to believe what he has been told.

He is operating on fear, fear of the unknown.
This is the stock & trade of all religion.

A being with power who does nothing is as useful as an AI battery that won't start your car.
"I could start your car, but I have other plans."

It's this part of religion that annoys me the most.
People lie to themselves and make excuses for why their imaginary friend doesn't do anything, instead of realizing that it can't.

It can't because it's imaginary.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Rahn127's post
29-06-2017, 07:39 AM
RE: Stargate
Theists deploy circular reasoning as needed here. They would simply label the OP as "bitterness" that prayer hasn't operated "like a cosmic candy machine". That's what they do: sell the efficacy of imprecatory prayer as an incentive to join or remain within the faith, then switch to meditative prayer, which is the Christian counterpart to Buddhist "acceptance", when the impotence of imprecatory prayer is evident. "Prayer changes things", except when it doesn't.

Similarly, god is only responsible for good outcomes; people, and/or Satan, are responsible for bad outcomes. Even when it's Satan, it's our own damn fault for "giving place to the devil".
[+] 5 users Like mordant's post
29-06-2017, 07:40 AM
duplicate
29-06-2017, 08:05 AM
The Movie, of which the Stargate series is based on, is awesome.

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
29-06-2017, 09:00 AM (This post was last modified: 29-06-2017 09:28 AM by Rockblossom.)
(29-06-2017 07:12 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  He has one mentor in this higher plane who tells him that it's forbidden to use his power to interfere in the affairs of the denizens of other planets.

To do so would incur the wrath of "The Others", who are apparently much higher in power.

I took "the Others" to mean the other ascended races who were once in an alliance with the Ancients- so not necessarily higher in power. Because if an ascended race is allowed to interfere at will, you get the Ori, who were all too willing to interfere (as in rigidly control) their worlds. So you have one of two things: gods who are useless to mortals, or gods who intervene and subvert the free will of mortals. So your choice of gods is the god of the Deists or the gods of all the other (specifically Abrahamic) religions. Or, take care of your own race and try to avoid gods.

Or look at it from the view of Tolkien's characters. Gandalf, Elrond, and Galadriel all could have taken the One Ring without force, since it was offered to each of them. They all refused, because they were wise enough to know that power of that sort in the hands of an immortal would eventually corrupt them, even though they started out trying to use it for the good of the world. The wise refuse the use of power to avoid becoming Sauron (who was once one of the Good Guys) or the Ori. And people who worship the interfering gods become their slaves.
[+] 2 users Like Rockblossom's post
29-06-2017, 10:43 AM
(29-06-2017 07:12 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  He has one mentor in this higher plane who tells him that it's forbidden to use his power to interfere in the affairs of the denizens of other planets.

I took 'The Others' as something form H.P. Lovecraft. Tongue

Reminds me of a book my friend told me about. About a person who blamed God for everything. God then gave said man all of the power he had to teach him it 'ain't easy being God'. Facepalm

. . . . I had to tell her exactly why that made so sense under the sun. She just dismissed me, and we pretended the conversation didn't exist.

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
29-06-2017, 11:41 AM
(29-06-2017 07:12 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  In the TV series Stargate, a character named Daniel ascends to a higher plane of existence. In this form he can apparently transport himself anywhere in the Galaxy and has a fair amount of power at his disposal.

He has one mentor in this higher plane who tells him that it's forbidden to use his power to interfere in the affairs of the denizens of other planets.

A being with power who does nothing is as useful as an AI battery that won't start your car.

People lie to themselves and make excuses for why their imaginary friend doesn't do anything, instead of realizing that it can't.

Oma Desala demonstrated to Daniel that she was indeed a celestial being and that she could perform amazing feats beyond human capacity. In a later episode, if memory serves, Daniel meets Orlin who corroborates Oma's story. Even if I'm wrong on that, Oma further gains credibility with Daniel by helping him to ascend. He's not following her on blind faith. She has earned his trust.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
29-06-2017, 12:00 PM
(29-06-2017 11:41 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(29-06-2017 07:12 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  In the TV series Stargate, a character named Daniel ascends to a higher plane of existence. In this form he can apparently transport himself anywhere in the Galaxy and has a fair amount of power at his disposal.

Oma Desala demonstrated to Daniel that she was indeed a celestial being and that she could perform amazing feats beyond human capacity. In a later episode, if memory serves, Daniel meets Orlin who corroborates Oma's story. Even if I'm wrong on that, Oma further gains credibility with Daniel by helping him to ascend. He's not following her on blind faith. She has earned his trust.

It has been a while since I watched the series.
I saw a YouTube video in which Daniel was trying to get Jack to help him stop someone, but Daniel couldn't interfere himself.

Well, at least it's good to know he's not operating on faith, but instead has some measure of trust from his mentor who has demonstrated their power.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
29-06-2017, 12:26 PM
(29-06-2017 12:00 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  
(29-06-2017 11:41 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Oma Desala demonstrated to Daniel that she was indeed a celestial being and that she could perform amazing feats beyond human capacity. In a later episode, if memory serves, Daniel meets Orlin who corroborates Oma's story. Even if I'm wrong on that, Oma further gains credibility with Daniel by helping him to ascend. He's not following her on blind faith. She has earned his trust.

It has been a while since I watched the series.
I saw a YouTube video in which Daniel was trying to get Jack to help him stop someone, but Daniel couldn't interfere himself.

Well, at least it's good to know he's not operating on faith, but instead has some measure of trust from his mentor who has demonstrated their power.

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
30-06-2017, 12:58 PM (This post was last modified: 30-06-2017 02:47 PM by nosferatu323.)

Suppose a parent is taking care of a kid remotely through some sort of smart techs. The kid asks the parent, sometimes get what he wants, sometimes not and the kid would be wrong to say: it doesn't work because my invisible parent can't do what I want. I don't think pointing to the unanswered prayers is a good approach to show a theist (s)he's delusional. Since a supposedly wise God in fact should not answer all sorts of dumb prayers.