Stargate and Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-09-2010, 12:47 PM

Stargate and Atheism
If any of you here have ever watched any of the Stargate TV shows (mainly SG1), you'll notice that there are strong atheistic undertones to the show.

Basically in the first few seasons, they discover how to use the Stargate, a device developed by ultra-advanced aliens who lived in the galaxy and on earth long long ago. It creates a wormhole between other stargates, which allows instantaneous transportation.

So, as the "team" explores various planets they encounter unsophisticated humans who worship "gods." These gods are nothing more than advanced aliens (different than the Stargate builders) who manipulate the people's ignorance into making them believe that they are Gods. These people are then enslaved to labor to fuel the aliens' empire. To fight these evil aliens (hell bent on enslaving all humans- earth included), they have to convince people that the aliens are not not Gods, but mere mortals masquerading under the disguise of technology. It works, and this race of aliens is eventually defeated (or those they enslave are freed)

In the latter seasons, SG1 encounters a race of aliens called the Ori. Here is where the stronger atheistic undertones kick in. The Ori are a group of aliens who split from the original Stargate builders. The Stargate builders, called the Ancients, advanced their technology to the point that they no longer needed their physical bodies and ascended to a higher plane of existence. It is to be stressed that this ascension is through a feat of science, and not spirituality.

The Ori were a sect of the population who wanted to continue to interfere with this reality. The Ancients believed in science and non-interference, so they simply observed the universe. The Ori forced others to bow down to them as a source of energy. They were able to perform miracles because of their extremely advanced technology, which at first, even the SG1 team could not believe.

However, once their technology was neutralized, they were reduced to nothing. Their prophets (known as priors) were not even aware that they did not have superpowers. They were not told by the upper group of Ori that they were simply being given advanced technology. They spread the Book of Origin (very similar to the Bible) across galaxies. Those who did not accept were destroyed.

So...

I just made that observation that that show had very atheistic undertones. If you've seen other shows on TV that have displayed this, or just want to talk Stargate, I guess you can do it here.
Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2010, 01:53 PM
RE: Stargate and Atheism
I kind of liked the discovery channel theoretical documentary(term?) called 'alien planet' basically a human exploration ship that probably cost trillions of dollars to build is sent to a planet called Darwin 4.
Basically when the ship gets there it launches probes the size of dumptrucks to survey the planet while the ship beams info back to earth.
Gigantism seems common on D4 and most creatures see via sonar instead of sight.
The probes pretty much got trashed by the local wildlife, but they found one intelligent race on the planet that is labelled by the narrator as 'eosapians'... I think it means 'dawn thinkers' or something. These creatures didn't see the probes as Gods but instead saw them as an unknown enemy, which after attempts to communicate ended up with the probes being popped like a balloon.

What could have happened if the scientists responsible for the D4 mission knew what the probes would encounter? perhaps some way of defense on the probes part could have at least made the eosapiens cautious and know to keep away.
and what if humans had gone instead of robots? I think casualties are without a doubt, but could small tribes of primitives with barely any mastery of tools really be any real threat to an advanced race with automatic weapons that have the power to traverse the heavens themselves?

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2010, 05:19 PM
I think any good sci-fi set in the future should be atheist, unless religion is a main theme (like Star Trek: DS9, Star Wars, ect)

Looking at most of Star Trek; Next generation, Voyager, Enterprise. Most religious things receive a look of disgust. Lines like "Well we stopped believing in things that have no evidence many years ago", "What? You actually believe that the universe was made by a person?" and "We learned to trust ourselves and not story book characters" are posted all over the scripts.

I imagine that it would be the same with StarGate

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]
01-09-2010, 05:34 PM
(01-09-2010 05:19 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  I think any good sci-fi set in the future should be atheist, unless religion is a main theme (like Star Trek: DS9, Star Wars, ect)

Looking at most of Star Trek; Next generation, Voyager, Enterprise. Most religious things receive a look of disgust. Lines like "Well we stopped believing in things that have no evidence many years ago", "What? You actually believe that the universe was made by a person?" and "We learned to trust ourselves and not story book characters" are posted all over the scripts.

I imagine that it would be the same with StarGate

ever seen the star ship trooper trilogy?
I am quite disappointed with the path humans chose -_-"
brought back religion but bolstered by the war against alien bugs, that combined with the "federation of earth" that is ruled by manipulative, racist war veterans turned dictators makes humanity into a sort of neo-medievalist theocracy that uses masse unit warfare to solve their problems.

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

01-09-2010, 07:43 PM
I only ever watched the first StarShip troopers. The others I saw the budget and knew it would be bad actors, bad story and unshaded photoshop CS1 bugs. Something that would aggravate me xD

Although the way humans are on the film seems to be a logical conclusion when all religion and all culture has been merged into one galactic superstate. Humans, though intelligent, are most likely bound to the fate of being a beehive society where nobody really matters when not united with hundreds of others.

Still... Star Trek shows a society which will always be my hope Wink

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]
01-09-2010, 07:47 PM
(01-09-2010 07:43 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  I only ever watched the first StarShip troopers. The others I saw the budget and knew it would be bad actors, bad story and unshaded photoshop CS1 bugs. Something that would aggravate me xD

Although the way humans are on the film seems to be a logical conclusion when all religion and all culture has been merged into one galactic superstate. Humans, though intelligent, are most likely bound to the fate of being a beehive society where nobody really matters when not united with hundreds of others.

Still... Star Trek shows a society which will always be my hope Wink

yea I suppose, but really the star ship troopers ending made me facepalm on so many levels -_-"

never really got into startrek that much... i like... season 3? where they had the better graphics and better looking borg ships?

03-09-2010, 06:57 AM

Star Trek TNG is far superior to the original (despite my avatar of Spock).
20-09-2010, 12:57 AM

I have felt that way I have always noticed as to how could strong and such vibrant atheistic undertones lie in the stargate but then again that raises another question. Why do the people of star gate support this kind of undertones? Is it because the intellectual health of the person behind the whole idea of star gate has come down to such a level? If so, why aren’t there any protests against that

fushigi ball how it works
20-09-2010, 01:21 AM (This post was last modified: 20-09-2010 01:24 AM by No J..)
(20-09-2010 12:57 AM)sultanmg Wrote:  I have felt that way I have always noticed as to how could strong and such vibrant atheistic undertones lie in the stargate but then again that raises another question. Why do the people of star gate support this kind of undertones? Is it because the intellectual health of the person behind the whole idea of star gate has come down to such a level? If so, why aren’t there any protests against that?

Undertones don't always register with everyone. Maybe there aren't enough christian fundies watching it to create a problem. Maybe the undertones aren't blatant enough. Maybe the techno side of the show is to confusing to christian fundies that they miss it all together.

I don't know if any of these are right, I just posted them as food for thought.
(03-09-2010 06:57 AM)TruthAddict Wrote:  Star Trek TNG is far superior to the original (despite my avatar of Spock).

I agree. I think the chemestry in the original is what carried the show. TNG had the chemestry, a more realistic format and way better special effects.
20-09-2010, 01:07 PM

(01-09-2010 12:47 PM)TruthAddict Wrote:  If any of you here have ever watched any of the Stargate TV shows (mainly SG1), you'll notice that there are strong atheistic undertones to the show.

Basically in the first few seasons, they discover how to use the Stargate, a device developed by ultra-advanced aliens who lived in the galaxy and on earth long long ago. It creates a wormhole between other stargates, which allows instantaneous transportation.

So, as the "team" explores various planets they encounter unsophisticated humans who worship "gods." These gods are nothing more than advanced aliens (different than the Stargate builders) who manipulate the people's ignorance into making them believe that they are Gods. These people are then enslaved to labor to fuel the aliens' empire. To fight these evil aliens (hell bent on enslaving all humans- earth included), they have to convince people that the aliens are not not Gods, but mere mortals masquerading under the disguise of technology. It works, and this race of aliens is eventually defeated (or those they enslave are freed)

In the latter seasons, SG1 encounters a race of aliens called the Ori. Here is where the stronger atheistic undertones kick in. The Ori are a group of aliens who split from the original Stargate builders. The Stargate builders, called the Ancients, advanced their technology to the point that they no longer needed their physical bodies and ascended to a higher plane of existence. It is to be stressed that this ascension is through a feat of science, and not spirituality.

The Ori were a sect of the population who wanted to continue to interfere with this reality. The Ancients believed in science and non-interference, so they simply observed the universe. The Ori forced others to bow down to them as a source of energy. They were able to perform miracles because of their extremely advanced technology, which at first, even the SG1 team could not believe.

However, once their technology was neutralized, they were reduced to nothing. Their prophets (known as priors) were not even aware that they did not have superpowers. They were not told by the upper group of Ori that they were simply being given advanced technology. They spread the Book of Origin (very similar to the Bible) across galaxies. Those who did not accept were destroyed.

So...

I just made that observation that that show had very atheistic undertones. If you've seen other shows on TV that have displayed this, or just want to talk Stargate, I guess you can do it here.

And that is why it is one of my fav shows :-)
(03-09-2010 06:57 AM)TruthAddict Wrote:  Star Trek TNG is far superior to the original (despite my avatar of Spock).

Picard

This is what makes Picard the best :-P