Starlight

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-11-2011, 12:35 AM
RE: Starlight
Came in to explain; however Erxomai covered it.

YEC is such a silly concept and belief.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-11-2011, 12:05 PM
This is one of the many reasons why I find the concept of God so ridiculous. Can't explain something from the bible? God's all powerful and he does what he wants!
27-11-2011, 12:49 PM
(22-11-2011 07:58 PM)ebilekittae Wrote:  I've been wondering this for a while and haven't been able to come up with an apologetic answer on my own, so I thought I'd throw it out here. What's the creationist explanation for being able to see stars that are millions of light years away? I've heard of talk before on an unrelated issue that the speed of light was slower before (which is how people "lived longer" back in biblical times), but that would only cause problems for the stars instead of answer it. We'd be able to see even fewer stars if that was the case. If the Earth and the universe were 10,000 years old, how can we see any stars further away from us than 10,000 light years?
Creationists always used to say that starlight was created in transit. However, some of them finally realized that this would mean that what we perceive as "starlight" doesn't actually come from stars. Even a preschool child would know that starlight comes from stars.

So now, they are trying to present "scientific" models. One of the most widely used models is creation physicist Dr. Russell Humphreys gravity and time dilation model. That states that gravity can affect the speed in which time passes. For this to be a working model though, the Earth would have to be orbiting the sun at the speed of light.

The newest model is creation astrophysicist Dr. Jason Lisle(I have to wonder if he is trolling AiG) came up with a model called the ASC convention. Admittedly I haven't read much on this model. When I did read his paper, I was relatively unimpressed, even though I was a creationist at the time, for many reasons. But this rationalwiki article says it better than I could ever say it.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Anisotropic...convention

As it stands, the "distant starlight problem" is still unresolved. In fact, I've heard hearsay that Jason Lisle knows exactly what is wrong with his model but he would never admit it in peer review.

"But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and [be] ready always to [give] an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:" Peter 3:15
[+] 2 users Like Spectre's post