Start evolution over. Would the same species appear? Yes!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-07-2013, 05:02 PM
RE: Start evolution over. Would the same species appear? Yes!
No way.
Not only is the earth different from back then(chemical changes,temperature changes,ect),the past events like huricanes,volcano eruptions,earthquickes,ect are highly unlikely to be the exact same thing.
Maybe we would see big tardigrades or gigantic onecelled organisms rule over the world.
My bet is giant tardigrades

KC IS A LIAR!!!! HE PROMISED ME VANILLA CAKES AND GAVE ME STRAWBERRY CAKE Weeping
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-07-2013, 05:11 PM
Water bears would make great pets! Hard to kill.

Ɨ͚͙͢͟͠Ŧ̯͔̳̺̬̣̻ͅ ͖̬̰͖̺Ŧ̭̻̲̳̝̦̗Ⱥ̹̩͚͘͠͡Ꝁ̷͖̲͓̖͍̺̻Ɇ̧͈̟̞S̨̢̟̥̮­͇͈͓͉͉̣ ̶̵̪̜̪̰͕̙̱̜Ⱥ̧̝͉̕Ł̰̤̲͠Ø̨̡̯͍͙̩̭̦̦͔͔͟Ŧ̵̠̣̬̝ͅ­̬͓͚ ̮͍͙Ŧ̷͍͖̳̺͕̲̬͚͜ͅØ̷̷̳̗̠̻ ̻̪M͉̠͟Ⱥ͏̫̳̣Ꝁ̶̷̜̪͈̪Ɇ̧̦̳̻̘͙̗͉̠ ̨̯͉͙͚̫͓̜̗̗͝͝Ⱥ̡͎̳̤͚ ̴̰̥̩͎̜̣̗̕ͅS̢͈Ŧ͕͉͓͚͔Ɇ͕̙͉̫͓͉͈̖͞ͅW҉̗̖̟̳́ ̢͕̲̰͔́͞
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-07-2013, 05:16 PM
I have pet waterbears
i check them once in a blue moon

KC IS A LIAR!!!! HE PROMISED ME VANILLA CAKES AND GAVE ME STRAWBERRY CAKE Weeping
21-07-2013, 05:43 PM
(21-07-2013 12:40 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(21-07-2013 12:21 PM)Grassy Knoll Wrote:  I don't think this is to say that evolution follows a path but it tends to thrive where and however it can. Like random mutations is life's way of throwing shit on the wall and seeing what sticks. If it gains a foothold the mutations still persist. The ape shape, if you will, works pretty well and it most likely would at some point if it all happened again. The real question is would this apply elsewhere in the universe?

Would what apply? Evolution?

The current thinking is that evolution is universal. No other process is known to have the power.

Agree. Math, Physics, Probability, and Chaos Theory work everywhere we know of, so far, in this universe. No reason to think another set of principles are at work somewhere else.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist & Levitating Yogi
Sent by Jebus to put the stud back in Bible Study.
25-07-2013, 02:16 PM
(21-07-2013 09:02 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(21-07-2013 08:57 AM)Grassy Knoll Wrote:  I've seen the question raised on the forum "If all life were wiped off the planet, would humans evolve again?" I've always felt that this was probably true. Here's a news blurb that suggests it is possible.

July 19, 2013 — If you could hit the reset button on evolution and start over, would essentially the same species appear? Yes, according to a study of Caribbean lizards by researchers at the University of California, Davis, Harvard University and the University of Massachusetts. The work is published July 19 in the journal Science.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/201...104931.htm

No. Absolutely not.

There would obviously be species to fill niches, but the DNA would be different.

The probability that the same sequences arise twice is an absurdly tiny number.

Yes the DNA would be different, but a lot of the same forms would arise again.

It's called convergent evolution.

Vosur, Anjele, Hanoff.....have you learned nothing in my absence?
25-07-2013, 02:18 PM
We don't really know. Gould said no but some evidence says "maybe."

Evolve
25-07-2013, 02:24 PM
(25-07-2013 02:18 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  We don't really know. Gould said no but some evidence says "maybe."

Same no, similar in form and function yes. Convergent Evolution shows that certain forms/functions have evolutionary benefits and some roles are always filled (Grazers for instance) however just because the role is always filled it is not filled the same way everytime. Take Horses vs American Bison both grazing herd animals but very different in spite of that.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
25-07-2013, 02:35 PM
(25-07-2013 02:24 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Same no, similar in form and function yes. Convergent Evolution shows that certain forms/functions have evolutionary benefits and some roles are always filled (Grazers for instance) however just because the role is always filled it is not filled the same way everytime. Take Horses vs American Bison both grazing herd animals but very different in spite of that.

Hell, compare a triceratops to a bison.

Similar ecology and niches would in all likelihood arise; the exact specifics are dependent on which mutations arise at what times. There's no way you'd get exact replication.

... this is my signature!
25-07-2013, 02:39 PM
But you are assuming that the same niches would become available. In the case of bison, triceratops, or the horse, they are herbivorous grazers. But what if plant evolution went in a different direction? Depending on when you restart the "tape of life" (as Gould called it), plants may take a different trajectory. Animals would then have to.

And there are other factors too. Like, climate and continental configuration and solar activity and etc, etc. If we try to rewind time and let it play forwards, is it somehow connected to the future? If so, it should play out exactly the same. But there are random and chaotic processes that influence it too that may cause a change.

Convergent evolution suggests that in similar environments, life will adapt in similar ways. But I'm not so sure that if you completely rewind that tape, you'll get the same environments.

Evolve
25-07-2013, 02:41 PM
(25-07-2013 02:16 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(21-07-2013 09:02 AM)Chas Wrote:  No. Absolutely not.

There would obviously be species to fill niches, but the DNA would be different.

The probability that the same sequences arise twice is an absurdly tiny number.

Yes the DNA would be different, but a lot of the same forms would arise again.

It's called convergent evolution.

Similar, not the same.
We already have examples of this.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user