Start from scratch

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-01-2011, 12:57 PM

Start from scratch
OK so how many "Christians" do you think are out there who just want to believe that there is a Creator/God/Etc, but there not gung ho about the Bible. Haven't really read it, but like the story of Jesus because it teaches their kids good things in a storybook way, and they want to belong to a community. We are communal beings. So they know these methodist/luthern/catholic choices are out there, and that they don'y really enforce the "rules" that much, and for an hour a day and maybe $10 a week they belong to this fantastic community. To relate to another thread the "average theist". So is there a way to give these people a nice non-biblical avenue to worship with? I don't know. I mean the atheist offer basically isolation. Without a biblical backbone what is the structure? If you're going to get together in large groups you need a place to do it which takes $. Who would run it? Could they be trusted, how would we know?

The reason I ask all this is because in my personal journey I at one time reached a point where I was pretty negative about the Christian God, and the Bible, but I wasn't quite ready to go atheist yet. I would tell people "oh I have my own ideas on God and they're personal". Basically I didn't know what I thought. I still thought that their may be a supreme creator, and I longed for the community I had growing up in a small catholic town. People I worked with would find great babysitters, or plumbers, electricians, etc... from their church community. So I searched the internet for a non-bible based church but came to realize that that's a tough one because how does one worship without a guide. Does one even need to 'worship' the God in my head. I just want to get together but without a doctrine what's the motivation to get together? I eventually gave up and accepted life as itis, but does anyone have any other clever ideas to attract more 'Average theists'? Is Humanism the answer? What can be done to 'market' that?
Quote this message in a reply
18-01-2011, 02:01 PM
RE: Start from scratch
Read Bishop Spong's book, "Why Christianity Must Change or Die." I think you'll find his philosophy simpatico.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-01-2011, 02:12 PM
I guess the solution is to start your own group and a positive example I can give is the Atheist Community of Austin and what they've done with the Atheist Experience.
One of the hosts , Matt Dillahunty , constantly encourages viewers to start their own atheist clubs.
I guess you need to ask someone a lot more sociable than me , but there are clubs created around any and every topic so I don't see why atheism can't work. Why not just have a plain bar with an evening a week dedicated to a secular thinker and revolve activities around that ?!

I guess , the fact that atheist doctrine is basically a single sentence : "I don't believe in a god/gods " you can't have that much doctrine.And without a doctrine to enforce , the bureaucracy (structure) is unnecessary.
18-01-2011, 03:39 PM
At this time in the U.S., atheists are a small minority, which makes it harder to be an atheist than a Christian in this society. One way to cope with it is to become stronger and more independent.
18-01-2011, 04:50 PM
(18-01-2011 02:12 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  I guess the solution is to start your own group and a positive example I can give is the Atheist Community of Austin and what they've done with the Atheist Experience.
One of the hosts , Matt Dillahunty , constantly encourages viewers to start their own atheist clubs.
I guess you need to ask someone a lot more sociable than me , but there are clubs created around any and every topic so I don't see why atheism can't work. Why not just have a plain bar with an evening a week dedicated to a secular thinker and revolve activities around that ?!

I guess , the fact that atheist doctrine is basically a single sentence : "I don't believe in a god/gods " you can't have that much doctrine.And without a doctrine to enforce , the bureaucracy (structure) is unnecessary.
Here in the US, there are actually atheist meetups all over the place. I have attended a few in Pittsburgh. I eventually want to attend a group in Columbus and perhaps one in Cleveland or Akron. You can find them online at meetup.org.