Started My New Job Today!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-05-2015, 05:38 PM
Started My New Job Today!
I started my job as a counselor at a science-based summer camp in East TX (I'd rather not specify). So excited for thr summer! I'll be teaching elementary school aged kids about biology, the environment, and environmental ethics.

The only hang up is I'm nervous about using the word 'evolution' or mentioning climate change in my lessons. I will anyway until an angry parent shows up Big Grin

Just thought I'd share. Smile

[Image: z555d8ccd8ce21.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 14 users Like Helen_Damnation's post
25-05-2015, 05:45 PM
RE: Started My New Job Today!
Yeah! Good for you. Hope you have a good experience with it. Smile

East Texas...Consider...not exactly a hotbed of science, is it?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
25-05-2015, 05:50 PM
Congrats.

We're counting on you to make a difference and teach them little buggers that "Jebus" isn't really responsible for everything......

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
25-05-2015, 06:04 PM
(25-05-2015 05:38 PM)Helen_Damnation Wrote:  I started my job as a counselor at a science-based summer camp in East TX (I'd rather not specify). So excited for thr summer! I'll be teaching elementary school aged kids about biology, the environment, and environmental ethics.

The only hang up is I'm nervous about using the word 'evolution' or mentioning climate change in my lessons. I will anyway until an angry parent shows up Big Grin

Just thought I'd share. Smile

Maybe a Discovery Camp? Consider

Don't let any parents intimidate you.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
25-05-2015, 06:10 PM
(25-05-2015 05:45 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Yeah! Good for you. Hope you have a good experience with it. Smile

Well no, it really isn't. But the scenery is amazing, so it's balances! I used to have a strong desire to leave for somewhere else, but now I'm having second thoughts Tongue

25-05-2015, 06:15 PM
(25-05-2015 06:04 PM)Chas Wrote:  Maybe a Discovery Camp? Consider

I'll walk a fine line between teaching science and stepping on religious sensibilities. It shouldn't be an issue with most parents. I figure the ones who would take offense probably wouldn't pay to send their kids a science camp in the first place.

[+] 5 users Like Helen_Damnation's post
25-05-2015, 06:17 PM
(25-05-2015 05:38 PM)Helen_Damnation Wrote:  The only hang up is I'm nervous about using the word 'evolution' or mentioning climate change in my lessons.

Teach them about the different sizes of infinity and the untenable nature of dualism. The kids will get it and the parents won't know what you're talking about. Win-Win.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
25-05-2015, 06:51 PM
(25-05-2015 06:15 PM)Helen_Damnation Wrote:  
(25-05-2015 06:04 PM)Chas Wrote:  Maybe a Discovery Camp? Consider

I'll walk a fine line between teaching science and stepping on religious sensibilities. It shouldn't be an issue with most parents. I figure the ones who would take offense probably wouldn't pay to send their kids a science camp in the first place.

Congrats!! And this is a good point. Hopefully there aren't any parents out there who would send their kids to a science based summer camp, and the get all flustered over evolution and climate change talk.

Best of luck, and have fun!! Share some fun stories with is if you can Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like Smercury44's post
25-05-2015, 07:07 PM
(25-05-2015 06:10 PM)Helen_Damnation Wrote:  
(25-05-2015 05:45 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Yeah! Good for you. Hope you have a good experience with it. Smile

Well no, it really isn't. But the scenery is amazing, so it's balances! I used to have a strong desire to leave for somewhere else, but now I'm having second thoughts Tongue

East Texas *is* very pretty. Yes Big Grin

25-05-2015, 07:22 PM (This post was last modified: 25-05-2015 08:29 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Congrats. Have a blast.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.