Starting a Blog to help deconvertees

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-11-2017, 05:49 AM
RE: Starting a Blog to help deconvertees
(03-11-2017 05:38 AM)unsapien Wrote:  
(02-11-2017 11:53 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Currently topic ideas are:

Why Atheism? - [Why I've personally chosen Atheism over any theistic religion, and my thoughts on religion]

This might seem like nit picking but did you really "chose" to be an atheist? Cause I didn't. I've never been part of any organized religion...but I sure as hell tried. There was a time when I really wanted there to be an afterlife, a deity that would punish the evil and reward the good.

I just couldn't find any evidence for it, so here I remain on the default setting.

I look forward to reading your blog. Smile

All of the people that I know that "converted" to being atheist would say they just stopped kidding themselves.
They smelled how full of shit they were.

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2017, 06:02 AM
(03-11-2017 05:38 AM)unsapien Wrote:  This might seem like nit picking but did you really "chose" to be an atheist? Cause I didn't. I've never been part of any organized religion...but I sure as hell tried. There was a time when I really wanted there to be an afterlife, a deity that would punish the evil and reward the good.

I just couldn't find any evidence for it, so here I remain on the default setting.

That is a good point actually, I've never overtly chosen Atheism, more that I didn't find any evidence to suggest otherwise. I suppose it'd be "Why not Theism" in a personal blog regarding my choices? I'll think about the wording haha.

(03-11-2017 05:49 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  All of the people that I know that "converted" to being atheist would say they just stopped kidding themselves.

Laugh out load I don't really know many ex-theist's, at least not outside the forum, and those that I do know just didn't really keep up with the lifestyle; Going to church/praying etc. I suppose deep down they always felt like they knew it was not for them, and it finally came to the surface when they were older.
03-11-2017, 06:58 AM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2017 07:03 AM by BikerDude.)
(03-11-2017 06:02 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  
(03-11-2017 05:38 AM)unsapien Wrote:  This might seem like nit picking but did you really "chose" to be an atheist? Cause I didn't. I've never been part of any organized religion...but I sure as hell tried. There was a time when I really wanted there to be an afterlife, a deity that would punish the evil and reward the good.

That is a good point actually, I've never overtly chosen Atheism, more that I didn't find any evidence to suggest otherwise. I suppose it'd be "Why not Theism" in a personal blog regarding my choices? I'll think about the wording haha.

(03-11-2017 05:49 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  All of the people that I know that "converted" to being atheist would say they just stopped kidding themselves.

Laugh out load I don't really know many ex-theist's, at least not outside the forum, and those that I do know just didn't really keep up with the lifestyle; Going to church/praying etc. I suppose deep down they always felt like they knew it was not for them, and it finally came to the surface when they were older.

Basically all of the "theists" that I knew in my youth who are my age are ex theists. There may be a few exceptions but as a rule, our families were religious to one degree or another and when we grew up we felt no need to continue. I was lucky enough that neither of my parents were very religious. My Mom would never have let it go but she never went to church.
The catholic church and school where I went from k through third grade are barely holding on by their finger nails.
Church attendance is way down and the school is barely alive.
Same in the town where I live now.
Catholic church draws a handful of old people each week.
Literally less than 20 people.
I know because the wife used to go and I got dragged along for one thing or another at one point or another.
The kids used to go also.
I actually think they closed.
I think I heard that. And actually I was a bit bummed.
I don't want to go but it's a nice old church and people liked it.
I'm not quite the Grinch yet.

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes BikerDude's post