Starting a band in school / posting covers online?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-10-2013, 09:24 AM
Starting a band in school / posting covers online?
So I've only played guitar (blues and rock) for around two years and I really wanna start a band in school. Only thing is I don't really know any musician friends who have the same goal and I haven't found many musicians friends (one) in my two years in the school. I think about it all the time. Any ideas on how to get around it? I'm really introverted and kinda shy, so I don't really get to know people. So I'll get to the point ( after a looong introduction). What's the best way to join / start a band. ( mods can move this to another topic if needed).
Also, is it a good time to post covers on YouTube, or should I kinda hone my skills first? I think it might be stimulating (for lack of better word) for me. Though I'm really scared. I like to improv licks and solos in songs.

Music is my religion
- Jimi Hendrix
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-10-2013, 10:03 AM
RE: Starting a band in school / posting covers online?
Man, wish I had good advice for ya. Starting a band is kinda hard if you don't know any other musicians. If you really want to get something started, it sounds like you're gonna have to seek them out. It may be uncomfortable as an introvert, but such is life.

As for the youtube thing, again I gots nothin. I'm not really a fan of watching random people do mediocre covers of other people's music (not saying your stuff is mediocre, just a general observation of most of the shit on youtube). But I do see how it could be a tool for feedback in order to hone your skills. Personally, as a musician, I've always known what sound I wanted and worked privately to get it and everyone else can go pound sand. Unless you really have a good idea on an original way of playing someone else's song, let the original artist have it. Do your own thing.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
27-10-2013, 11:41 AM
(27-10-2013 10:03 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Man, wish I had good advice for ya. Starting a band is kinda hard if you don't know any other musicians. If you really want to get something started, it sounds like you're gonna have to seek them out. It may be uncomfortable as an introvert, but such is life.

As for the youtube thing, again I gots nothin. I'm not really a fan of watching random people do mediocre covers of other people's music (not saying your stuff is mediocre, just a general observation of most of the shit on youtube). But I do see how it could be a tool for feedback in order to hone your skills. Personally, as a musician, I've always known what sound I wanted and worked privately to get it and everyone else can go pound sand. Unless you really have a good idea on an original way of playing someone else's song, let the original artist have it. Do your own thing.

I see what you mean. I guess i could watch the school open mic and talk to the peopleand all that...

Most covers on YouTube are kinda same-ey I guess. The ones that get views are with good looking people and like pretentious indie (lack of better word) stuff.

I guess I'll just try it out, send it to some people, see what people think. Most people just play exactly as how the song is played, so it'll be interesting...

Music is my religion
- Jimi Hendrix
27-10-2013, 11:46 AM
(27-10-2013 09:24 AM)guitarist Wrote:  So I've only played guitar (blues and rock) for around two years and I really wanna start a band in school. Only thing is I don't really know any musician friends who have the same goal and I haven't found many musicians friends (one) in my two years in the school. I think about it all the time. Any ideas on how to get around it? I'm really introverted and kinda shy, so I don't really get to know people. So I'll get to the point ( after a looong introduction). What's the best way to join / start a band. ( mods can move this to another topic if needed).
Also, is it a good time to post covers on YouTube, or should I kinda hone my skills first? I think it might be stimulating (for lack of better word) for me. Though I'm really scared. I like to improv licks and solos in songs.

Print posters and put them in coffee shops. You can meet serious people that way. I personally just rock with my friends, but that's how I'd do it.
27-10-2013, 12:21 PM
(27-10-2013 11:41 AM)guitarist Wrote:  
(27-10-2013 10:03 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Man, wish I had good advice for ya. Starting a band is kinda hard if you don't know any other musicians. If you really want to get something started, it sounds like you're gonna have to seek them out. It may be uncomfortable as an introvert, but such is life.

I see what you mean. I guess i could watch the school open mic and talk to the peopleand all that...

Most covers on YouTube are kinda same-ey I guess. The ones that get views are with good looking people and like pretentious indie (lack of better word) stuff.

I guess I'll just try it out, send it to some people, see what people think. Most people just play exactly as how the song is played, so it'll be interesting...

Instead of trying to start a full-blown band, you might concentrate on meeting 1 or 2 players (that like the music you do) that you can jam with. I do as much work with just another guitar player sitting on a patio as I do in full band situations. It's also more flexible because you're not locked into playing dance music covers that the crowd recognizes. Watching open mics is a good idea. You may meet someone you can collaborate with. Good luck and keep practicing.