Starting a community

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2017, 04:23 PM
Starting a community
So the biggest thing I miss about my previous religious life was the community. I have looked into recovering from religion and Meetup but there is nothing anywhere nearby.

But I've been to a Meetup while I was visiting another city on a business trip and I really like the idea of having some kind of community.

Does anyone have advice for starting a freethinker group or anything like that?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes herrozerro's post
18-05-2017, 03:20 AM
RE: Starting a community
I've thought about a similar thing for my local community also. Maybe even going so far as to start a UK based Atheist organisation, as there seems to be very few options over here, that I've seen anyway.

If anything, start by trying to find if there is an interest for it, advertise/get on social media/stick up some flyers to get in contact and go from there really.

I'm thinking of a similar project, so hopefully we can both get somewhere!

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
18-05-2017, 04:28 AM
(17-05-2017 04:23 PM)herrozerro Wrote:  Does anyone have advice for starting a freethinker group or anything like that?

My advice, find comfort in your circle of friends. There is no such thing as freethinkers, since they come in all shapes and colors. The only common denominator, if I understand you correctly, them being atheists.

But they're human, and as such, they won't give you any sense of community, since atheism is nothing than the absence of belief.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
18-05-2017, 05:26 AM
(18-05-2017 04:28 AM)abaris Wrote:  
(17-05-2017 04:23 PM)herrozerro Wrote:  Does anyone have advice for starting a freethinker group or anything like that?

My advice, find comfort in your circle of friends. There is no such thing as freethinkers, since they come in all shapes and colors. The only common denominator, if I understand you correctly, them being atheists.

But they're human, and as such, they won't give you any sense of community, since atheism is nothing than the absence of belief.

I disagree. My circle of friends is entirely made up of believers. I am finding myself becoming depressed because of the lack of anyne I can have Frank discussions with about philosophy or anything that just doesn't become argumentative.

Perhaps freethinkers is the wrong word. But I've found that it's usually less offensive that an atheist club.

I need a community. I need real people to socialize with. The internet is one thing, but it's no replacement for real world relationships.
18-05-2017, 06:11 AM
(18-05-2017 05:26 AM)herrozerro Wrote:  I need a community. I need real people to socialize with. The internet is one thing, but it's no replacement for real world relationships.

Yeah, and you won't find them simply by looking at a tiny kernel of their personality. It says nothing about their interests, social or political affiliations.

A club at least shares some common interests. But being an atheist, atheism certainly doesn't define me. It doesn't even interest me. Common interests and values do.

18-05-2017, 06:26 AM
(18-05-2017 06:11 AM)abaris Wrote:  
(18-05-2017 05:26 AM)herrozerro Wrote:  I need a community. I need real people to socialize with. The internet is one thing, but it's no replacement for real world relationships.

Yeah, and you won't find them simply by looking at a tiny kernel of their personality. It says nothing about their interests, social or political affiliations.

A club at least shares some common interests. But being an atheist, atheism certainly doesn't define me. It doesn't even interest me. Common interests and values do.

Perhaps secular humanism then. But this is all just word games. I am looking for a community that shares a disbelief in God or gods and go from there.

I feel that you are perhaps too narrowly defining atheism. Then otherwise what good are groups like american atheists? An atheistic group would have common interest, namely dealing with theism. I'm not exactly sure I want to step into the activism arena just yet, but being literally the only atheist I know personally in my circle of friends that live nearby (I have some atheist friends all over, but no one really within 2 hours drive.) means that it just feels like i am alone. I know that's not the case, but I want to know people like me in my area.
18-05-2017, 06:32 AM
(17-05-2017 04:23 PM)herrozerro Wrote:  So the biggest thing I miss about my previous religious life was the community. I have looked into recovering from religion and Meetup but there is nothing anywhere nearby.

But I've been to a Meetup while I was visiting another city on a business trip and I really like the idea of having some kind of community.

Check the American Atheists website. They might have an affiliated group in your area.
18-05-2017, 06:37 AM
(18-05-2017 06:26 AM)herrozerro Wrote:  Then otherwise what good are groups like american atheists?

Yes, there are people taking it serious. Too serious in my opinion. Rule of thumb, if atheism is the only defining factor, you won't find much of a community to satisfy your needs.

18-05-2017, 06:50 AM
(18-05-2017 06:32 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  
(17-05-2017 04:23 PM)herrozerro Wrote:  So the biggest thing I miss about my previous religious life was the community. I have looked into recovering from religion and Meetup but there is nothing anywhere nearby.

Check the American Atheists website. They might have an affiliated group in your area.

Yeah, I've looked into it. Nothing for at least a 90 minute drive. Same with Recovering from religion, and anything on meet-up.
18-05-2017, 06:56 AM
(18-05-2017 06:50 AM)herrozerro Wrote:  
(18-05-2017 06:32 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  Check the American Atheists website. They might have an affiliated group in your area.

Yeah, I've looked into it. Nothing for at least a 90 minute drive. Same with Recovering from religion, and anything on meet-up.

> I belonged to an American Atheist group during the 1980's. I regularly drove 90 minutes to attend the monthly meetings. I thought it well worth the effort. I met with friendly people and the discussions were very interesting. There were also yearly local conventions and picnics. Thumbsup