Starting a community

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-05-2017, 07:00 AM
RE: Starting a community
(18-05-2017 06:37 AM)abaris Wrote:  
(18-05-2017 06:26 AM)herrozerro Wrote:  Then otherwise what good are groups like american atheists?

Yes, there are people taking it serious. Too serious in my opinion. Rule of thumb, if atheism is the only defining factor, you won't find much of a community to satisfy your needs.

But taking that to it's logical conclusion, a snowboarding group with snowboarding as it's only defining factor wont be too much of a community. A Star Trek group with Star Trek as it's only defining factor won't be much of a community.

Why do you think that atheism is too narrow? I mean yes if all that is on the group meeting board is discussion of how gods do not exist, then yes, there is probably not enough there.

But that's just the starting point. even just the starting point of something like the ACA could be enough: "Promoting positive atheist culture & separation of church and state" I don't even know who in my area shares my beliefs, which is not an issue for any kind of religious person. all they have to do is look up and down the street and there is probably some kind of church on a corner. And if they want to be more picky, they can look for a denomination that suits them.

But there is nothing for non believers in my area. I have looked. I don't know what even a group would look like if we got together. I know that at the very least showing the community that atheists are just like them would be a good start.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-05-2017, 07:04 AM
(18-05-2017 06:56 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  
(18-05-2017 06:50 AM)herrozerro Wrote:  Yeah, I've looked into it. Nothing for at least a 90 minute drive. Same with Recovering from religion, and anything on meet-up.

> I belonged to an American Atheist group during the 1980's. I regularly drove 90 minutes to attend the monthly meetings. I thought it well worth the effort. I met with friendly people and the discussions were very interesting. There were also yearly local conventions and picnics. Thumbsup

perhaps I should look into it. My only real concern right now is the expense. and justifying it to my still believing wife. I mean even if she wasn't, we're in a situation where large trips like that would strain the budget. Which is why I was hoping to start something local.
[+] 1 user Likes herrozerro's post
18-05-2017, 07:08 AM
(18-05-2017 07:00 AM)herrozerro Wrote:  But taking that to it's logical conclusion, a snowboarding group with snowboarding as it's only defining factor wont be too much of a community.

So let me ask you a few concrete questions: Is atheism your defining factor? Is it what makes you as a person? Is it one of your interests? A snowboarding group share a common interest after all.

If the honest answer to all these questions is yes, well maybe, you might find what you're looking for. But the impression I get is you looking for yet another - secular - church instead of like minded individuals to share what's important in your life.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
18-05-2017, 07:27 AM
I found that I needed atheist friends. I get it. I get my community here and with individual friends, but I am an introvert and not very community oriented, I don't like groups of people.

When building a community, all you need as common factor is to be human. (and heck, I consider my dogs a community). Everything else you have in common is gravy. I see TTA as community - a place where I can just be myself and exchange ideas and observations with others who are more likely to get me than my next door neighbor.

A lot of my humor involves religion and I want to be free to express it without being hurtful to others.

So yes, an atheist community is a good thing. And if you look at all the thread topics here - they are all things we either share or want to discuss. A real life community will be much the same.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
18-05-2017, 07:34 AM
(18-05-2017 07:27 AM)Dom Wrote:  So yes, an atheist community is a good thing. And if you look at all the thread topics here - they are all things we either share or want to discuss. A real life community will be much the same.

Yeah, this is an online community. And I find myself liking quite a lot of people, going by what they have to say. Which is more than can be said of other atheist online communities I visited. I also despise a number of people by what they say. But the beauty of an online community, as opposed to real life, you can just ignore them or refrain from taking their bait.

By and large, I hardly participate in religious or atheist topics at all, because I wasn't joking. Atheism doesn't interest me nor does it make me. The reason why I go to atheists sites is the hope to find more open minded people, since the god clamps are off.

Which also looks differently in real life, since outspoken atheist groups are by definition about atheism as their uniting factor.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes abaris's post
18-05-2017, 08:00 AM
(18-05-2017 07:08 AM)abaris Wrote:  
(18-05-2017 07:00 AM)herrozerro Wrote:  But taking that to it's logical conclusion, a snowboarding group with snowboarding as it's only defining factor wont be too much of a community.

So let me ask you a few concrete questions: Is atheism your defining factor? Is it what makes you as a person? Is it one of your interests? A snowboarding group share a common interest after all.

If the honest answer to all these questions is yes, well maybe, you might find what you're looking for. But the impression I get is you looking for yet another - secular - church instead of like minded individuals to share what's important in your life.

I am not going to presume your history, but I have struggled with leaving my faith for quite some time and when I look out and I can see a 2 churches, a catholic school and a prayer chapel from my front porch, it's a constant reminder that I am different and it's reinforced by the fact that I know there are probably people like me out there, but unless I look I'll never find them.

So yes, right now Atheism does define me a bit. From continuing to unlearn what I've been taught as "gospel" truth, to just proving that I can be good without god. It is important to me. Finding the truth is important in my life. perhaps a skeptics club would be preferable.
[+] 1 user Likes herrozerro's post
18-05-2017, 08:03 AM
It defines me too, to an extent, and I haven't believed since I was 10. It sets me apart from the people around me. It is by far not the only thing that defines me, nor is it the most important thing. But, yes, for good conversation I prefer atheists for the most part.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
18-05-2017, 08:06 AM
Why don't you start your on Meetup group (something about atheism, secular humanism, ...), maybe there are a lot of people who are also looking for an atheist community in your area, but none has ever made the step to create the group.
I found some atheist (or skeptics) groups not far from where I live (in Amsterdam precisely). I haven't yet attended to any of those Meetups, but I think it could also be a start for me to meet people who are not religious or not into woo stuff like a lot of people here.
The only drawback of those kind of groups is that it draws some kind of preachers (a bit like on the forum actually), people who join Meetups to start preaching whatever bs they believe.

Also, if you're looking for atheists outside atheism centered activities (because not only there aren't many of those activities, but also you have no guaranty that you'll have any other shared interest with people there), I noticed that some Meetups not necessary based on atheism draw a good proportion of atheists, it depends on the theme. For instance, Meetups about IT (I work in IT) seem to have a large proportion of atheists (this isn't very surprising since IT requires logic), of course it's not an absolute rule, but I mean, compared to the 30% proportion of atheists in my country, I can expect much more in those Meetups.

This is what I'm trying to do at the moment, looking for atheist friends in my area. I agree with abaris, I'm not necessarily looking for atheist friends to discuss atheism (well maybe sometimes, but not at the main topic around which we gather), I'm more looking for friends who share same interests than me and are also atheists, simply because I'm more comfortable with atheists in general as we share the same view about life, and it prevents the usual recurrent arguments about religion or superstitions that always happen with believers.
18-05-2017, 03:55 PM
Actually my friends are almost exclusively atheists. I have the community thing kinda. I mean if one of us needs help or whatever, someone will always be there and help out. We do activities together. We have fun and everything.
It is not a community in the religious sense but it is a strong circle of friends and I feel good in that.

A few years back I started a small community project and was even going to work together with Atheist Ireland on some stuff. But then I left the country. Then I came back and it just didn't happen again. (Planning on a revival though)

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
18-05-2017, 06:15 PM
(18-05-2017 06:56 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  > I belonged to an American Atheist group during the 1980's. I regularly drove 90 minutes to attend the monthly meetings. I thought it well worth the effort. I met with friendly people and the discussions were very interesting. There were also yearly local conventions and picnics. Thumbsup

How long did you stick with it for? Why did you eventually leave the group?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."