Starting a community

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-05-2017, 06:24 PM
RE: Starting a community
(18-05-2017 07:00 AM)herrozerro Wrote:  Yes, there are people taking it serious. Too serious in my opinion. Rule of thumb, if atheism is the only defining factor, you won't find much of a community to satisfy your needs.

I think groups that center around atheism, or exclusively secular views and beliefs, tend to fizzle out, grow stale rather quickly. The internet is exhausted with such topics, and conversations in places like this, that I think fatigue would kick in quite early. I mean how many hours do you really want to talk to atheists about humanism, or the harms of religion?

I think as someone suggested, you might be better off finding community among some other interest other than atheism, perhaps even interest that tend to attract more atheists in general, like IT.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-05-2017, 06:26 PM
(18-05-2017 06:15 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(18-05-2017 06:56 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  > I belonged to an American Atheist group during the 1980's. I regularly drove 90 minutes to attend the monthly meetings. I thought it well worth the effort. I met with friendly people and the discussions were very interesting. There were also yearly local conventions and picnics. Thumbsup

How long did you stick with it for? Why did you eventually leave the group?

> Several years. Madalyn Murray-O'Hair closed down the chapters in the early 1990's. There are AA affiliated groups now.
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
18-05-2017, 07:56 PM
(17-05-2017 04:23 PM)herrozerro Wrote:  Does anyone have advice for starting a freethinker group or anything like that?

What's wrong with this community?
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
19-05-2017, 03:19 AM
(18-05-2017 07:56 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  What's wrong with this community?

I don't think we have time for that list. Drinking Beverage

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
19-05-2017, 03:34 AM
(18-05-2017 07:56 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  What's wrong with this community?

Nothing's wrong. But there's one thing I agree with OP on. You need people in your extended neighbourhood, not just online. Someone you can go to and have a chat.

I'm skeptical over OPs approach, since it seems to me, they're just looking to replicate their church experience in a secular way, but people in your vicinity are pretty important.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes abaris's post
19-05-2017, 04:08 AM
Go to a gaming center... the place in your little shit middle-of-nowhere Rednecktonville City where the nerdy kids--and adults who still enjoy gaming, especially the more complex tabletop ones--go to trade comic books and play Magic the Gathering and D&D and BattleTech/Warhammer40K/GURPS and/or whatever else.

Smart people tend to have much higher numbers of atheists/agnostics/skeptics among them, even and perhaps especially in hyper-religious communities.

Don't go in there with "hi! I'm an atheist!", but just listen to people and you'll see there are some to whom you will gravitate, as they reveal in their answers how well-read they are in science fiction, which is often another good indicator of a person who has developed a skeptical mind... most sci-fi writers were atheists or at least predicted a future where religion had become an anachronism or was seen as dangerous/cultish, and most sci-fi challenges some aspect of "modern" morality or social structure, causing fans of the genre to have an easier time, I think, of spotting any form of bullshit in our own society. In general, of course; I know a lot of Believers who are gamers. But you may be surprised at what else you will find among your local community of brainiacs.

[Image: giphy.gif]

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 4 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
19-05-2017, 10:37 AM
Thanks everyone for the input, but I am already doing much of what has been suggested. I work as a web developer, all of my co workers are Christian, I am a part of the local SQLPass group, I am a huge nerd and play tabletop and boardgames all of the time.

Perhaps abaris is right, I think I am looking for that church type of group.
19-05-2017, 01:10 PM
I think RocketSurgeon is right. Go someplace where the people are actually DOING something. An amature astronomy group might be great, a gaming group, sometimes environmental organizations have a lot of atheists. I'm involved in the theatre scene here in Portland Oregon and theatre people tend to not give a fuck what you believe in or if you're gay, straight or anything in between. But the thing that is engaging about it is that we're all creating something as a group, we're all DOING something together. I can't think of a more boring evening than scheduling a get-together and sitting around talking about non belief in god. Yuck!

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
20-05-2017, 09:25 AM
Had another idea. Go to the gaming groups wearing a teeshirt that identifies you, but in a non-aggressive way. It allows others who think the same thing to approach you, while being non-intrusive enough to make anyone who objects the asshole. "You're mad at me over a shirt?!?"

A few suggestions:

[Image: EF-PRT-ANR-00001.jpg]

[Image: 560.jpg]

[Image: ra%2Cunisex_tshirt%2Cx925%2C403c32%3A923...lite-1.jpg]

[Image: go-ahead-say-evolution-s-just-a-theory-t...pparel.jpg]

[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
20-05-2017, 10:06 AM
I agree with Rocket and Dance...Go where the nerds are Thumbsup

[Image: 60422497.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post