Starting a garden this spring

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-11-2016, 05:41 PM
Starting a garden this spring
When I get back home from the in-laws tomorrow I'm going to pre-till most of my yard (the sides and back) to start growing some vegetables this spring (and herbs when the time of year is right). It's not just about the food. I'm tired of mowing so much, wasting time, gas, and hydration on the futility of cutting the grass.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-11-2016, 05:49 PM
RE: Starting a garden this spring
(25-11-2016 05:41 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  When I get back home from the in-laws tomorrow I'm going to pre-till most of my yard (the sides and back) to start growing some vegetables this spring (and herbs when the time of year is right). It's not just about the food. I'm tired of mowing so much, wasting time, gas, and hydration on the futility of cutting the grass.

If you want it to yield as much as possible with the least amount of work, forget the tilling and build some raised beds. I have gardened both ways extensively and would NEVER do it without raised beds anymore. I am permanently spoiled.

I say, build the raised beds, put a weed barrier in the bottom, fill with good soil and put in drip irrigation, you can just use soaker hoses too. You can put the weed barrier between the beds too, and some gravel, for ease of care and good looks.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
25-11-2016, 07:15 PM
I'll look into the raised beds in a year or two when if I have some extra money. I'm just going to use the ol' shovel and rake to till. I could use the exercise if nothing else.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

26-11-2016, 06:53 AM
(25-11-2016 07:15 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  I'll look into the raised beds in a year or two when if I have some extra money. I'm just going to use the ol' shovel and rake to till. I could use the exercise if nothing else.

I did that for years also. Buy a bag of manure (doesn't stink) and work it into the soil...it makes a huge difference, regardless of what kind of soil you start with. Soil is everything.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
26-11-2016, 08:17 AM
(26-11-2016 06:53 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(25-11-2016 07:15 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  I'll look into the raised beds in a year or two when if I have some extra money. I'm just going to use the ol' shovel and rake to till. I could use the exercise if nothing else.

I did that for years also. Buy a bag of manure (doesn't stink) and work it into the soil...it makes a huge difference, regardless of what kind of soil you start with. Soil is everything.

I'm already full of manure. Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
26-11-2016, 08:20 AM
(26-11-2016 08:17 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  
(26-11-2016 06:53 AM)Dom Wrote:  I did that for years also. Buy a bag of manure (doesn't stink) and work it into the soil...it makes a huge difference, regardless of what kind of soil you start with. Soil is everything.

I'm already full of manure. Tongue

So I see..... Big Grin

26-11-2016, 02:27 PM
Well, this is going to take a little longer than I realized. My wirey ass is more out of shape than I thought.

26-11-2016, 03:16 PM
(26-11-2016 02:27 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  Well, this is going to take a little longer than I realized. My wirey ass is more out of shape than I thought.

Go find a bunch of free pallets and make some raised beds. Much easier.

26-11-2016, 03:17 PM (This post was last modified: 26-11-2016 03:20 PM by Loom.)
Our DIY raised garden only cost about $48. 'Course it's not very big and lacks fancy soaker hoses, but my raised garden did FABULOUS this year. My cherry tomato plant grew in all directions by almost 10 feet. It was a monster. It did so well it almost choked out my peppers and carrots. My strawberry patch spent the year growing over the sides to escape the monster tomato. It's now been rearranged and fills the entire box and should have a nice yield next spring before the tomatoes and peppers take over again.

You can go ahead and start herbs in pots. They're pretty easy and convenient to take care of that way, but in the ground is always more ideal. My favorites are rosemary, lavender, chocolate mint, cilantro, and chives. Chives go awesomely with toasted and buttered bread.

Whatever you do, never, ever, EVER plant mint in the ground unless you're prepared to go to war. That plant is serious about world domination.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 3 users Like Loom's post
26-11-2016, 03:24 PM
(26-11-2016 03:17 PM)Loom Wrote:  Whatever you do, never, ever, EVER plant mint in the ground unless you're prepared to go to war. That plant is serious about world domination.

Ain't that the truth. I love different types of mint and have them in pots on the deck, well away from any soil.