Starting a garden this spring

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-11-2016, 03:28 PM
RE: Starting a garden this spring
(26-11-2016 03:24 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(26-11-2016 03:17 PM)Loom Wrote:  Whatever you do, never, ever, EVER plant mint in the ground unless you're prepared to go to war. That plant is serious about world domination.

Ain't that the truth. I love different types of mint and have them in pots on the deck, well away from any soil.

My mom put some of our chocolate mint in the ground, despite my protests. It has now murdered one honeysuckle (a honeysuckle! One of the toughest, most invasive plants out there!) and is now surrounding my poor blue berry bush, likely getting ready for the kill.

I would move it but it's too cold. I hope it'll make it til spring.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-11-2016, 03:32 PM
(26-11-2016 03:28 PM)Loom Wrote:  
(26-11-2016 03:24 PM)Dom Wrote:  Ain't that the truth. I love different types of mint and have them in pots on the deck, well away from any soil.

My mom put some of our chocolate mint in the ground, despite my protests. It has now murdered one honeysuckle (a honeysuckle! One of the toughest, most invasive plants out there!) and is now surrounding my poor blue berry bush, likely getting ready for the kill.

I have lemon mint growing wild - that was already here when I got here. It's not so bad, it makes clumps like some grasses do, is attractive and tastes great. It grows semi orderly, but you do want to keep it away from any cultivated plants. Mine stays strictly outside the fence. The chocolate one crawls and makes a ground cover, doesn't it?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
26-11-2016, 03:37 PM
(26-11-2016 03:16 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(26-11-2016 02:27 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  Well, this is going to take a little longer than I realized. My wirey ass is more out of shape than I thought.

Go find a bunch of free pallets and make some raised beds. Much easier.

I'm too lazy to make gardening easier.

I'm going to stake out a compost pile. Gather some limbs. Rake a little. I've either been indoors or on the road for the past three days. I need to get outside.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
26-11-2016, 07:30 PM
I am jealous of your ability to garden this time of year. My garden is going into dormancy, although I do have carrots still in my raised beds. Should probably pull them before the snow comes.

I am always willing to talk gardening! I am a gardening nut.

What are you going to grow? From seed or plant?

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
26-11-2016, 07:34 PM
I have always wanted to have a garden. The only thing that stops me is all the digging, soil prep, starting seedlings, watering, weeding, harvesting...

But I've always wanted a garden....

Tongue

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
26-11-2016, 08:02 PM
I've got raised beds along the entire perimeter of my yard. When we moved here in June it was the first project I got started on. Even getting started later in the year than I would have liked, we had a very productive summer and despite having a number of things we don't expect to be producing very heavily for another couple of years, such as the asparagus and zucchini.

In places where I still have lawn, I've been mixing in various minimal maintenance items that can grow among the grass, like wild leek, which I use as a garlic substitute. And I'd also highly recommend researching any random common flowers and weeds you've got. A lot of it can be dried and used for tea, if nothing else. Even things like stinging nette make a pretty good tea.

This year it was more of a luxury. Three years from now, I fully expect the majority of my fruits and veggies to be home grown.

Got big plans for a forrest garden on our property up north too, ranging from mushroom logs to birch taps. Also plan on capitalizing on areas in the woods not on my property where I know people don't usually go, such as getting some fruit trees going near the creek and spreading things like the above mentioned leek anywhere I think it will grow.

It's amazing how much you can pull out of your property (and the surrounding area) if you set your mind to it and do some research.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
26-11-2016, 09:42 PM
(26-11-2016 07:30 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  I am jealous of your ability to garden this time of year. My garden is going into dormancy, although I do have carrots still in my raised beds. Should probably pull them before the snow comes.

I am always willing to talk gardening! I am a gardening nut.

What are you going to grow? From seed or plant?

I'm just prepping it for spring right now. Beans and corn from seed, transplanting peppers.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

26-11-2016, 10:37 PM
(26-11-2016 03:32 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(26-11-2016 03:28 PM)Loom Wrote:  My mom put some of our chocolate mint in the ground, despite my protests. It has now murdered one honeysuckle (a honeysuckle! One of the toughest, most invasive plants out there!) and is now surrounding my poor blue berry bush, likely getting ready for the kill.

I have lemon mint growing wild - that was already here when I got here. It's not so bad, it makes clumps like some grasses do, is attractive and tastes great. It grows semi orderly, but you do want to keep it away from any cultivated plants. Mine stays strictly outside the fence. The chocolate one crawls and makes a ground cover, doesn't it?

Yeah chocolate mint crawls. It'll shoot out little creepers through the soil and over the soil. As far as groundcover goes it's doing too good a job. Tastes magnificent at least.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
27-11-2016, 06:48 AM
(26-11-2016 03:16 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(26-11-2016 02:27 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  Well, this is going to take a little longer than I realized. My wirey ass is more out of shape than I thought.

Go find a bunch of free pallets and make some raised beds. Much easier.

You know, after digging yesterday and sleeping on it, that sounds like a better idea.

I still think I'll need to plant the sweet corn in the ground, though. thanks for the pallet idea.

Hug

27-11-2016, 06:55 AM
(25-11-2016 05:41 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  When I get back home from the in-laws tomorrow I'm going to pre-till most of my yard (the sides and back) to start growing some vegetables this spring (and herbs when the time of year is right). It's not just about the food. I'm tired of mowing so much, wasting time, gas, and hydration on the futility of cutting the grass.

Good on ya for having a plan. I am a plant killer...not intentionally, it just happens. The two plants that I was able to keep alive for years were eaten by something this summer. Undecided If we were going to plan to eat the fruits of my gardening labor...we would starve.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post