Starting a garden this spring

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-11-2016, 07:55 AM
RE: Starting a garden this spring
(27-11-2016 06:48 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  
(26-11-2016 03:16 PM)Dom Wrote:  Go find a bunch of free pallets and make some raised beds. Much easier.

You know, after digging yesterday and sleeping on it, that sounds like a better idea.

I still think I'll need to plant the sweet corn in the ground, though. thanks for the pallet idea.

Hug

I grow my corn in a raised bed, too. It likes being planted quite tightly. I grow everything in raised beds.

I grow several varieties of heirloom tomatoes every year, a few I know I love and a few new (to me) experimentally. I am so spoiled, I can't even stand store bought tomatoes anymore. My garden has made me into a snob.

Then I have one bed with everbearing strawberries, have had them for years and they bear right up until frost.

I love butternut squash and usually just one plant yields enough for a year if we eat a couple a month. Takes a whole bed for one plant or it rambles all over the paths...

Usually I also grow a variety of summer squash, chard, kale, spinach, lettuce, cucumbers, cayenne peppers, leeks, onions, potatoes and whatnot.

I have drip irrigation - just watering the roots (I plant each plant right next to a drip). Got it on auto timer. So, all I need to do is to stick things in the ground in spring and eat as it grows. I don't preserve stuff, too lazy. I like to graze, just go out there and eat and pick some for meals. I am a very lazy gardener, and I love my fresh food.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-11-2016, 09:18 AM
Fresh corn is amazing. The easiest things to grow from seed (for me, anyway) have been beans, peas, potatoes, lettuce, carrots.

I have a combo of raised beds and direct soil. Although I do hill the soil up, so it's like a modified raised bed. I also love grow bags, because my yard space is limited and you can stick those anywhere. The 20 gallon ones are great for potatoes, tomatoes, carrots.

If you do raised beds, I would make sure you start with an excellent soil. We have an amazing local organic farm that makes their own compost soil/loam. I had 3 yards of that delivered and mixed it with some coir (coconut husk), to lighten it up. I would use coir over peat, since it retains moisture better.

Have fun!

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
27-11-2016, 09:41 AM
(27-11-2016 07:55 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(27-11-2016 06:48 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  You know, after digging yesterday and sleeping on it, that sounds like a better idea.

I still think I'll need to plant the sweet corn in the ground, though. thanks for the pallet idea.

Hug

I grow my corn in a raised bed, too. It likes being planted quite tightly. I grow everything in raised beds.

I grow several varieties of heirloom tomatoes every year, a few I know I love and a few new (to me) experimentally. I am so spoiled, I can't even stand store bought tomatoes anymore. My garden has made me into a snob.

Then I have one bed with everbearing strawberries, have had them for years and they bear right up until frost.

I love butternut squash and usually just one plant yields enough for a year if we eat a couple a month. Takes a whole bed for one plant or it rambles all over the paths...

Usually I also grow a variety of summer squash, chard, kale, spinach, lettuce, cucumbers, cayenne peppers, leeks, onions, potatoes and whatnot.

I have drip irrigation - just watering the roots (I plant each plant right next to a drip). Got it on auto timer. So, all I need to do is to stick things in the ground in spring and eat as it grows. I don't preserve stuff, too lazy. I like to graze, just go out there and eat and pick some for meals. I am a very lazy gardener, and I love my fresh food.

Is the drip hooked up to a faucet or pumps?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
27-11-2016, 10:36 AM
(27-11-2016 09:41 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  
(27-11-2016 07:55 AM)Dom Wrote:  I grow my corn in a raised bed, too. It likes being planted quite tightly. I grow everything in raised beds.

Is the drip hooked up to a faucet or pumps?

Just for one area with some 5 or 6 raised beds, you can do it either way. I do have a couple of areas just with a soaker hose connected to a timer on a faucet. Not expensive, and works perfectly fine. You don't need a ton of pressure for drip. It's the most efficient way to water. There are different types of systems for different uses and pocket books, from the inexpensive soaker hoses to computerized underground systems.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
01-12-2016, 01:20 PM
Dad just gave me 30 ft in 12x2s. It'll make a good 8ftx6ft bed.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

01-12-2016, 03:31 PM
(01-12-2016 01:20 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  Dad just gave me 30 ft in 12x2s. It'll make a good 8ftx6ft bed.

Make sure you can reach the middle of it with ease. Long and narrow is good.

[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
01-12-2016, 04:50 PM
I'm a big fan of raised beds, lettuce grows so well in them, I had a bumper crop of all sorts this year, never had to go to the salad isle at all, doesn't need to be a massive bed, as long as you can reach to the middle.
[+] 1 user Likes PaddyOdoors's post
01-12-2016, 04:56 PM
(01-12-2016 04:50 PM)PaddyOdoors Wrote:  I'm a big fan of raised beds, lettuce grows so well in them, I had a bumper crop of all sorts this year, never had to go to the salad isle at all, doesn't need to be a massive bed, as long as you can reach to the middle.

Yep, you can easily make 2 beds from that wood - or a much longer one - and have a much easier time of it. Just reaching the middle isn't all that great if you have to strain to do so - you won't be able to plant easily there.

Just a lazy old gardener's view... Big Grin

[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
02-12-2016, 11:38 AM
(01-12-2016 04:56 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(01-12-2016 04:50 PM)PaddyOdoors Wrote:  I'm a big fan of raised beds, lettuce grows so well in them, I had a bumper crop of all sorts this year, never had to go to the salad isle at all, doesn't need to be a massive bed, as long as you can reach to the middle.

Yep, you can easily make 2 beds from that wood - or a much longer one - and have a much easier time of it. Just reaching the middle isn't all that great if you have to strain to do so - you won't be able to plant easily there.

Just a lazy old gardener's view... Big Grin

Good idea.

I was going to set it up this weekend, but... rain. And lots of it.

02-12-2016, 03:42 PM
I have rose bushes because anything else gets devoured by the local bunnies Sad

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom