Starting them while they are young

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-09-2015, 09:15 AM
Starting them while they are young
Seth had a talk about getting them while they are young.

I saw the fruits of what he was talking about this morning. My son and I were having a nice little discussion about nothing and he remarked that his cousin (my wife's brother's kid) had said that he was going to punch him. I asked him why he would have said that and he replied that it was "because I told them I didn't believe in god." I then asked him why did he think that his cousin said that to him. He had no idea. He told me that they had just been talking about god when they were here while I was in China and he mentioned that he did not believe in it. His cousin (who is 5) then told him that he would punch him if he ever said that again. Well I guess he is showing the love of jesus per Luke 19, Matthew 13, John 15, or Rev 3. So sad. All I can say to my niece and nephew is "welcome to this world."

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
01-09-2015, 09:29 AM
RE: Starting them while they are young
Watching the indoctrination of children is infuriating. It's one of the hardest things to keep my mouth shut about with my religious family. Adults want to believe in a sky daddy, fine. But recently my sister took my nieces to a Planned Parenthood protest where they were shouting hateful fucking drivel that they couldn't possibly comprehend. Hobo

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 5 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
01-09-2015, 10:21 AM
My guess is that many of us would have been threatened or worse when if as kids we had openly said we didn't believe in god. Orgo man, how is your wife dealing with this god denying son of hers?
[+] 1 user Likes Iñigo's post
01-09-2015, 10:43 AM
(01-09-2015 10:21 AM)Iñigo Wrote:  My guess is that many of us would have been threatened or worse when if as kids we had openly said we didn't believe in god. Orgo man, how is your wife dealing with this god denying son of hers?

Honestly, I am not too sure. I am not really how sure how she rationalizes me, either. She takes them to church and I don't oppose it. I am not too sure she even knows for sure whether they do or don't believe. I was on the fence myself until he told me this. I was never really sure whether he was saying he didn't believe only around me but now, I am fairly convinced that the hook wasn't set on him since I was literally half a world away at the time and there is no way I could have put him up to it. I am also not sure whether she knows about this yet although she will the next time she looks at my posts (BTW, hi sweetie). I have no idea what she tells herself in her mind. I would love to know though. If I had to guess though, I bet she would be pretty sad deep down. It is doubtful she would talk to me though, she would probably talk to some of her believing friends for empathy.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
01-09-2015, 11:50 AM
I wish you the best. Don't forget that this is an excellent teaching moment for your son, that you don't threaten or put down people that have different beliefs than his.
[+] 3 users Like Iñigo's post